- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of Children Food Safety Education Program for 4th and 5th Grade Elementary School Students in Daegu and Evaluation of Its Effects
대구지역 초등학교 4, 5학년 대상 어린이 식생활 안전관리 교육 프로그램 개발 및 효과 평가
- Kim, Jung-Mi (Division of Food & Nutrition & Cooking, Taegu Science University) ;
- Lee, Nan-Hee (Division of Food & Nutrition & Cooking, Taegu Science University)
- Received : 2011.10.14
- Accepted : 2012.02.10
- Published : 2012.02.29
This study was conducted on 4th and 5th grade elementary school students in Daegu, Korea for the purpose of promoting health and proper dietary habits. A children food safety education program was developed and its effects evaluated on 4th and 5th graders (3,932 students for 4th year, 4,438 students for 5th year) at 46 elementary schools, which were under the jurisdiction of the four educational bureaus of Daegu city. Education was conducted in accordance with an education design plan, of which there were two goals, including know the contents of 'special act on children's dietary life safety management' and 'practice proper hand-washing'. 'Special act on children's dietary life safety management' was explained, and the education curriculum included proper hand-washing for prevention of food poisoning, quality certification mark on children's favorite foods, harmful foods such as unsanitary and adulterated foods, and green food zone. Flash songs, PowerPoint, 'glitter burger' notice note, and banner were used as education media. It was found that the awareness level of items related to 'special act on children's dietary life safety management' increased significantly after education (p<0.001). 'Necessity of nutrition education and children's food safety' also increased significantly (p<0.05) after education. Lastly, children answered that they washed their hands more often after education (62.9%) than before (60.7%).
- Ministry of Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. 2008. Report on 2007 National Health and Nutrition Survey. p 132, p 135, p 259.
- Shin EK, Kim KH, Park YH, Bae IS, Lee YK. 2006. A survey on the needs of educators, learners and parents for implementing nutrition education by nutrition teachers in elementary schools. J Korean Diet Assoc 12: 89-101.
- Park YH, Kim HH, Shin KH, Shin EK, Bae IS, Lee YK. 2006. A survey on practice of nutrition education and perception for implementing nutrition education by nutrition teacher in elementary schools. Korean J Nutr 39: 403-416.
- Park JA, Chang KJ. 2004. A study on elementary school dietitian's status and recognition of nutrition education in Incheon. Korean J Community Nutr 9: 716-724.
- Lee JE, Jung IK. 2005. A study on eating habits of elementary school students and the perception on the nutrition education in curriculum. J Korean Home Econ Educ Assoc 17: 79-93.
- Hyun SM, Kim JW. 2007. Improvement of dietary attitudes of elementary students by nutrition labeling education. Korean J Community Nutr 12: 168-177.
- Ahn Y, Ko SY, Kim KW. 2009. Evaluation of a nutrition education program for elementary school children. Korean J Commnunity Nutr 14: 266-276.
- Kim YH. 2009. American elementary teachers' attitude toward nutrition education. J Korean Prac Arts Educ 22: 213-234.
- KFDA Press Release. 2011. http://www.kfda.go.kr/index.kfda?mid=56&seq=14608&cmd=v
- Kang MH. 2009. Production and evaluation of safety index for children's dietary life. KFDA report.
- Yi SJ. 2009. A study on the contents and legal problems of the children food preference management system under the 'Special Act on Children Eating habit Safety Management '. Korean Comparative Public Law Assoc 10: 327-350.
- Cho SD, Kim SY, Lee EJ, Park HK, Kim MC, Kim GH. 2008. Green food zone for children and suggesting a food quality certification system. Safe Food 3: 5-12.
- Kwon S, Kim HYP, Lee JS, Kwak TK, Chung HR, Choi YS, Kang MH. 2011. Statistical approach to test construct validity and obtain weights for the children's dietary life recognition and practice index. Korean J Nutr 44: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2011.44.1.41
- Belfry MJ, Winne PH. 1998. A review of the effectiveness of computer assisted instruction in nursing education. Comput Nurs 6: 77-85.
- Panter J, Kee YK. 2002. Comparison of the effectiveness and efficiency of written diagrams to multi-media computer videos in hospitality education. J Hospit Tour Educ 14: 20-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/10963758.2002.10696749
- Kim KA, Lee YK. 2010. The effect of nutrition education using animations on the nutrition knowledge, eating habits and food preferences of elementary school students. Korean J Community Nutr 15: 50-60.
- Lee YM, Kee MJ, Kim SY. 2005b. Effects of nutrition education through discretional activities in elementary schoolfocused on improving nutrition knowledge and dietary habits in 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-grade students-. J Korean Diet Assoc 11: 331-340.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government. 2009. The Seoul food safety news-The survey about children's favorite food consumption behavior. p 18-19.
- Lee YJ, Kim GM, Chang KJ. 2000. The analysis of effect an nutrition education of elementary school children, Inchon. J Korean Diet Assoc 6: 86-96.
- Chin JH, Lee KJ, Lee YH. 2002. Effects of nutritional education on food behavior of unbalanced diet children-An investigation of children at elementary schools in Incheon. J East Asian Soc Diet Life 12: 7-14.
- Chang SO, Lee OH, Lee KS. 2008. Intake of processed foods and the effects of nutrition label education in 5th grade children. J Korean Diet Assoc 14: 166-175.
- Lee OK, Chang SO, Park MJ. 2008. Comparison of nutrition knowledge, dietary attitude and dietary habit in elementary school children with and without nutrition education. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 1427-1434. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1427
- Yoon HS, Yang HL, Her ES. 2000. Effect of nutrition education program on nutrition knowledge, dietary diversity of elementary school children. Korean J Community Nutr 5: 513-521.
- Gim YA. 2008. Effects of nutrition education on snack intake of middle school students in Jeonju - with educated group and non-educated group as the center -. MS Thesis. Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Korea.
- Perception on Nutrition Labeling of the Processed Food among Elementary School Students and Parents in Daegu Area vol.27, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.6.1107