- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Composition and Physicochemical Properties of Unripe Korean Peaches According to Cultivars
국내산 복숭아 유과의 품종별 성분 분석 및 품질특성
- Kim, Da-Mi (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, In-Ja (Yeongigun Agriculture Technology Center) ;
- Yook, Hong-Sun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.10.11
- Accepted : 2012.01.31
- Published : 2012.02.29
For the investigation of a possibility as a useful functional material, 6 cultivars (Takinosawa Gold, Kawanakawase Hakuto, Madoka, Yumefuji, Nagasawa Hakuho, Hong Bak) of Prunus persica L. Batsch were studied at unripe stage to determine the physicochemical properties and chemical compositions. The cultivars were picked in late May, and all samples were analyzed for external properties, physicochemical properties, pH, Brix value, Hunter's color value, hardness, vitamin C, and reducing sugar. The size of the fruit from all six cultivars was compared, and it was determined that cultivars, fruit from Madoka was the largest, while that from Yumefuji was the smallest. Comparing fresh weight, the fruit from Yumefuji was lowest in moisture contents (89.13~89.96%), and that from Nagasawa Hakuho had significantly higher crude protein (1.02~1.62%). The contents of crude lipids (0.18~0.23%) and carbohydrates (8.00~9.35%) were not significantly different between cultivars and Madoka included higher crude ash contents (0.32~0.69%) than other cultivars. The pH of 6 cultivars from unripe peaches were significantly higher from Kawanakawase Hakuto, and the Brix value was also highest from Kawanakawase Hakuto, followed by Yumefuji, Madoka, Nagasawa Hakuho, Takinosawa Gold, and Hong Bak. In chromaticity, the L value, the indicator of brightness, was significantly higher in fruit from Nagasawa Hakuho. The a value, the indicator of redness, was the highest with Hong Bak and overall lower than -5. The b value, the indicator of yellowness, was the highest in fruit from Madoka and ranged from 16.51 to 18.33. In physical characteristics, the hardness of the unripe peaches was the highest in fruit from Hong Bak, and overall, white peaches have a higher hardness value than yellow peaches. The vitamin C content of the fruit didn't show any significant differences between cultivars, and the reducing sugar showed a higher percent than 6.34% in fruit from all cultivars. These results suggest that unripe peaches were commensurate with the development of natural pigment and as a functional foods.
Supported by : 연기군 농업기술센터
- Lee HB, Yang CB, Yu TJ. 1972. Studies on the chemical composition of some fruit vegetables and fruits in Korea (I). Korean J Food Sci Technol 4: 36-43.
- Lee DS, Woo SK, Yang CB. 1972. Studies on the chemical composition of major fruits in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 4: 134-139.
- Song JH, Son MA, Kim MH. 1992. Comparison of the cell wall components and polygalacturonase activity in peach types. Korean J Food & Nutrition 5: 111-115.
- Click! Select the cultivar of peaches in the 21st century. 2002. National Institute of Horticultural and Berbal Science, Rural Development Administration, Gyeonggi-do, Korea.
- www.krei.re.kr. Korea Rural Economic Institute statistics, Seoul, Korea.
- Park YG, Choi IU, Kim HM, Kim SR, Park MW, Cha HS, Choi HD, Suk HM, Kang YH. 1999. Studies on the utilization of unripe apples. M.A.F. Report. p 23-47.
- Pressey R, Hinton DM, Avants JK. 1971. Development of polygalacturonase activity and solubilization of pectin in peaches during ripening. J Food Sci 36: 1070-1073. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1971.tb03348.x
- McCready RM, McComb EA. 1954. Pectic constituents in ripe and unripe fruit. J Food Res 19: 530-535. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1954.tb17485.x
- Globerman H, Navok T, Chevion M. 1984. Haemolysis in a G6PD-deficient child induced by eating unripe peaches. Scand J Haematol 33: 337-341. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0609.1984.tb00704.x
- Lee JB, Chung HS. 2008. Studies on the components of unripe peaches. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 79-83.
- Kim HJ. 2007. Isolation and characterization of active whitening compound from Prunus persica. MS Thesis. Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Miller GL. 1959. Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal Chem 31: 426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Food Composition Table. koreanfood.rda.go.kr. National Academy of Agricultural Science.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Yu YZ, Ryu J, Choi JS, Choi YG. 2003. Mycelial yield of Pleurotus ostreatus using thinned apple, pear, and peach on submerged culture. Biotech Bioprocess Engineering 8: 286-290. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02949218
- Shim KH, Sung NK, Choi JS, Kang KS. 1989. Changes in major components of Japanese apricot during ripening. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 18: 101-108.
- Cho JW. 2002. Quality characteristics of wine and vinegar prepared by different peach cultivars. PhD Dissertation. Catholic University, Daegu, Korea.
- Lee JO, Lee SA, Kim MS, Hwang HR, Kim KH, Chun JP, Yook HS. 2008. The effects of low-dose electron beam irradiation on quality characteristics of stored apricots. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 934-941. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.7.934
- Oh HH, Hwang KT, Kim M, Lee HK, Kim SZ. 2008. Chemical characteristics of raspberry and blackberry fruits produced in Korea. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 738-743. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.6.738
- Kim EO, Lee YJ, Leem HH, Seo IH, Yu MH, Kang DH, Choi SW. 2010. Comparison of nutritional and functional constituents, and physicochemical characteristics of mulberrys from seven different Morus alba L. cultivars. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1467-1475. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1467
- Hong SP, Lim JY, Jeong EJ, Shin DH. 2008. Physicochemical properties of watermelon according to cultivars. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 706-710.
- Seo JS, Hwang YS, Chun JP. 2009. Effect of postharvest treatments on fruit quality of 'Hong Bak' peach during shelf life. Jour Agric Sci 36: 147-158.
- Cascales AI, Costell E, Romojaro F. 2005. Effects of the degree of maturity on the chemical composition, physical characteristics and sensory attributes of peach (Prunus persica) cv. Caterin. Food Sci Tech Int 11: 345-352. https://doi.org/10.1177/1082013205057943
- Lee SA, Kim KH, Kim MS, Park NK, Yook HS. 2008. Microbial and physico-chemical characteristics if a maesil (Prunus meme ) treated with low levels of gamma rays. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 989-996.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Ryu J, Choi JS, Choi YG. 2003. Studies on manufacture of wine using apricot. Korean J Food Preserv 10: 493-497.
- Lee SA, Kim KH, Kim MS, Park NK, Yook HS. 2008. Microbial and physico-chemical characteristics of a maesil (Prunus mume ) treated with low levels of gamma rays. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 989-996.
- Kim MS, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2009. The effects of gamma irradiation on the microbiological, physicochemical and sensory quality of peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch cv Dangeumdo). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 364-371. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.3.364
- Gil MI, Tomas-Barberan FA, Hess-Pierce B, Kader AA. 2002. Antioxidant capacities, phenolic compounds, carotenoids, and vitamin C contents of nectarine, peach, and plum cultivars from California. J Agric Food Chem 50: 4976-4982. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020136b
- Padayatty SJ, Katz A, Wang Y, Eck P, Kwon O, Lee JH, Chen S, Corpe C, Dutta A, Dutta SK, Levine M. 2003. Vitamin C as an antioxidant: evaluation of its role in disease prevention. J Am College Nutr 22: 18-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2003.10719272
- Yang YT, Kim MS, Hyun KH, Kim YC, Koh JS. 2008. Chemical constituents and flavonoids in citrus pressed cake. Korean J Food Preserv 15: 94-98.
- Jung JG, Yu Y, Kim SK, Lee HR, Choi JU, Lee SH, Ahn H, Chung SK. 2006. Quality and nutrition labeling study of domestic fruit (plum). Korean J Food Preserv 13: 669-674.
- Park Y, Choi S, Kim SH, Han J, Chung HG. 2007. Changes in antioxidant activity, total phenolics and vitamin C content during fruit ripening in Rubus occidentalis. Korean J Plant Res 20: 461-465.
- Hong JY, Nam HS, Kim NW, Shin SR. 2006. Changes on the components of Elaeagnus multiflora fruits during maturation. Korean J Food Preserv 13: 228-233.
- El Bulk RE, Babiker EFE, El Tinay AHE. 1997. Changes in chemical composition of guava fruits during development and ripening. Food Chem 59: 359-399.
- Ferreyra RM, Vina SZ, Mugridge A, Chaves AR. 2007. Growth and ripening season effects on antioxidant capacity of strawberry cultivar Selva. Scientia Horticulturae 112: 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2006.12.001
- Yun HJ, Lim SY, Hur JM, Jeong JW, Yang SH, Kim DH. 2007. Changes of functional compounds in, and texture characteristics of, apples, during post-irradiation storage at different temperatures. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 239-246.
- Choi NS, Park HJ, Chun HK, Kim MJ. 2002. A study on the development of grape vinegar added drink grape vinegar. Korean J Community Living Science 13: 27-37.
- Quality Characteristics of Cold-air and Infrared-dried Peaches vol.19, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.4.485
- Effect of Different Pre-treatments on the Physicochemical and Antioxidant Activities of Cold-Vacuum Dried Peaches vol.45, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.4.466
- Quality Properties of Peach Pudding Added with Korean Peach (Prunus persica L. Batsch) Juice and Gelatin vol.43, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.265
- Quality Characteristics of Madeleine with Peach(Prunus persica L. Batsch) Juice vol.25, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.3.664
- Quality Changes in Unripe Peaches Jangachi according to Cultivar during Storage vol.41, pp.11, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.11.1577