- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Sponge Cake with Omija Powder
오미자 분말을 첨가한 스펀지케이크의 품질 특성
- Lee, Young-Ju (Dept. of Marine Food Science &Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Ju (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Suk (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Sunchon National University) ;
- Ahn, Chang-Bum (Food Science and Nutrition, Chonnam National University) ;
- Shim, Sun-Yup (Institute of Marine Life Science, Pukyong National University) ;
- Chun, Soon-Sil (Dept. of Food & Nutrition, Sunchon National University)
- 이영주 (전남대학교 해양식품.공학) ;
- 이현주 (순천대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 김영숙 (순천대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 안창범 (전남대학교 영양식품학) ;
- 심선엽 (부경대학교 해양생명과학연구소) ;
- 전순실 (순천대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2011.10.25
- Accepted : 2011.12.11
- Published : 2012.02.29
We prepared sponge cakes consisting of 1.5%, 3%, 4.5%, or 6% Omija powder. The specific gravity and viscosity of sponge cake batter were measured. Also, the moisture content, color, volume index, weight and texture of the sponge cake were determined. Consumer preference tests of the sponge cakes were also conducted. The viscosity of cake batter tended to decrease as the ratio of Omija powder increased. The specific gravity of the control batter was 0.41, and there was no significant difference between the control and the cakes baked with 1.5%, 3%, 4.5%, and 6% Omija powder. The moisture content and weight of the cakes were not significantly different between the control and those made with Omija powder. Hunter 'L,', 'a,' and 'b' values of the crust decreased significantly as the amount of Omija powder in the cake increased. Hunter 'L' and 'b' values of the crumbs were low in the cakes with Omija powder, while 'a' values were high. Hardness and fracturability did not show any differences between the cakes. Adhesiveness and resilience of the control were high. The control sample showed the highest sensory score in overall preference. However, cakes made with 1.5% Omija powder obtained the highest values in color, softness, and flavor scores. Omija powder flavor and astringency scores increased as the amount of Omija powder increased, and sweetness did not show any differences among cakes. Intensity scores of egg flavors significantly decreased as the amount of Omija powder increased. Sensory scores of off-flavor significantly increased as the amount of Omija powder increased. Based on the results, 1.5~3% should be recommended as the optimum level of Omija powder to be added for the preparation of sponge cake.
Supported by : 순천대학교
- Park SH, Hwang HS, Han JH. 2004. Development of drink from composition with medical plants and evaluation of its physiological function. Korean J Nutr 37: 364-372.
- Park CK, Keak YS, Hwang MS, Kim SC, Do JH. 2007. Trends and prospect of ginseng products in market health functional food. Food Sci Industry 40: 30-45.
- Lee JS, Lee MG, Lee SW. 1989. A study on the general components and minerals in parts of Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). Kor J Dietary Culture 4: 173-176.
- Oh SL, Kim SS, Min BY, Chung DH. 1990. Composition of free sugars free amino acids non volatile organic acids and tannins in the extracts of L. chinensis M., A. acutiloba K., S. chinensis B. and A. sessiliflorum S. Korean J Food Sci Technol 22: 76-81.
- Donald MW, Nell GH. 1984. Biological activities of lignans. Phytochem 23: 1207-1213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(00)80428-8
- Kwon HJ, Park CS. 2009. Quality characteristics of bellflower and lotus root jeonggwa added Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon) extract. Korean J Food Preserv 16: 53-59.
- Lee SH, Kim MH. 2009. Comparison of physicochemical and organoleptic characteristics of Omija wines made by different methods. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 182-187. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.2.182
- Kang MH, Jeong HK, Song YS. 1993. Effects of various gelling agents on textural properties of Omija pyon. J Korean Soc Dietary Culture 3: 289-293.
- Nam JS. 2009. Quality and sensory characteristics of bulgogi sauce with various amount of Omija juice. MS Thesis. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea.
- Ryu HJ, Oh MS. 2005. Quality characteristics of Omija jelly prepared with various starches by the addition of oil and chitosan. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 877-887.
- Go GJ. 2008. Bread properties utilizing extracts of Schizandra chinensis. Korean J Food & Nutr 24: 236-242.
- Kim JS, Choi SY. 2008. Quality characteristics of soybean curd with Omija extract. Korean J Food & Nutr 1: 43-50.
- Mo HY. 2008. Preparation of high quality wine and vinegar using Omija, fruit of Schizandra chinensis. Korean J Food & Nutr 3: 488-493.
- Hong KH, Nam YS, Park SI. 2004. Preparation and characteristics of drinkable yoghurt added water extract of Omija (Schizandra chinensis Baillon). Korean J Food & Nutr 17: 111-119.
- Kim SM, Cho YS, Yang TM, Lee SH, Kim DG, Sung SK. 2000. Development of functional sausage using extracts from Schizandra chinensis. Korean J Food & Nutr 4: 272-293.
- Kim AJ, Han MR, Woo N, Kang SJ, Lee GS. 2008. Physicochemical properties of Korean ginseng pickles with Chija and Omija. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 524-529.
- Woo IA, Kim YS, Choi HS, Song TH, Lee SK. 2006. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with added dried sweet pumpkin powders. Korean J Food & Nutr 19: 254-260.
- Oh SC, Nam HY, Cho JS. 2002. Quality properties and sensory characteristics of sponge cakes as affected by additions of Dioscorea japonica flour. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 18: 185-192.
- Chun SS. 2003. Development of functional sponge cake with onion powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 62-66. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.062
- Jeong CH, Shim KH. 2004. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of Pleurotus eryngii mushroom powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 716-722. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.4.716
- Yi SY, Kim CS, Song YS, Park JH. 2001. Studies on the quality characteristics of sponge cakes with addition of yam powders. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 48-55.
- Jeong CH, Kim JH, Cho JR, Ahn CG, Shim KH. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cakes upon addition of paprika powder. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 281-287.
- Yoon SB, Hwang SY, Chun DS, Kong SK, Kang KO. 2007. An investigation of the characteristics of sponge cake with ginseng powder. Korean J Food & Nutr 20: 20-26.
- Lee JH, Kwak EJ, Kim JS, Lee YS. 2007. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with Mesangi (Capsosiphon Fulvescens) power. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 83-89.
- Shin JH, Choi DJ, Kwen OC. 2007. The quality characteristics of sponge cake with added steamed garlic powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 696-702.
- Park JS, Lee YJ, Chun SS. 2010. Quality characteristics of sponge cake added with banana powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 1509-1515. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.10.1509
- Cho NJ, Kim SG, Kim YH. 1999. Bakery science . B&C word, Seoul, Korea. p 146-184.
- American Association of Cereal Chemistry. 2000. Approved methods of the AACC. 10th ed. The Association 10-15. Paul, MN, USA.
- American Association of Cereal Chemistry. 2000. Approved methods of the AACC. 10th ed. The Association 10-91. Paul, MN, USA.
- Jeong YS, Kim DJ. 2009. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with pakchoi (Brassica compestris L. ssp chinesis Jusl.) power. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 914-919. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.7.914
- Park YR, Han IJ, Kim MY, Choi SH, Shin DW, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of sponge cake prepared with red ginseng marc power. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 236-242.
- Yook HS, Kim YH, Ahn HJ, Kim DH, Kim JO, Byun MW. 2000. Reological properties of wheat fpour and qualities of bread prepared with dietary fiber purified from Ascidiam (Halocynthia roretzi ) tunic. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 387-395.
- Jeong CH, Shim KH. 2004. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with addition of Pleurotus eryngii mushroom powers. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 38: 914-919. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.7.914
- Kim YS, Kwak SH, Jang MS. 2006. Optimization of ingredient mixing ratio for preparation of steamed foam cake with added saltworta (Salicornia herbacea L.). Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 666-680.
- Kim YA. 2003. Effects of mulberry leaves powders on the quality characteristics of yellow layer cakes. Korean J Food Sci Technol 35: 871-876.
- Hur MS. 2008. Quality characteristics of sponge cake with addition of mulberry powder. MS Thesis. Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.
- Chun YH, Kim CK, Kim WJ. 1986. Effect of temperature, pH and sugar on kinetic property of Maillard reaction. Korean J Food Sci Technol 18: 55-60.
- Park ID. 2008. Effects of cucurbita maxima duchesne puree on quality characteristics of pound and sponge cakes. Korean J Food Culture 23: 748-754.
- Quality Characteristics and Antioxidant Properties of Rice Chiffon Cakes with Wild Grape Powder vol.44, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.1.118
- Consumer Awareness on Omija using Qualitative Consumer Research vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.6.25.3.396
- Quality characteristics of sponge cake with buckwheat powder vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.2.204
- Antioxidant activities and quality characteristics of omija (Schizandra chinesis Baillon) cookies vol.24, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-015-0120-1
- Quality characteristics of sponge cake with lemon grass powder vol.48, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.4.347
- Quality and Antioxidant Properties of Sponge Cake containing Radicchio (Cichorium intybus L.) Powder vol.28, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2015.28.5.910
- Quality and Antioxidant Characteristics of Sponge Cake with Asparagus (Asparagus officinals L.) Powder vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.642