- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Sulgi with Added Fresh or Frozen Red Onions
보관방법을 달리한 자색양파 첨가 설기의 품질 특성 평가
- Im, Seok-Soon (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Dong-A University) ;
- Jun, Mi-Ra (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Dong-A University)
- Received : 2011.10.19
- Accepted : 2011.12.01
- Published : 2012.02.29
This study was performed to evaluate the quality characteristics of Sulgi (Korean steamed rice cakes) prepared with fresh or frozen red onions. Sulgi was prepared with different levels (10, 20 or 30%) of fresh or frozen onions and stored for 4 days. The L value significantly decreased with the addition of fresh red onions and the a value significantly increased with the addition of either fresh or frozen red onions. The pH value was also increased with the addition of fresh red onions. In terms of texture, the hardness of Sulgi with either fresh or frozen red onions was reduced. The gumminess and brittleness gradually decreased with the addition of fresh or frozen red onions. Sulgi composed of 30% red onions showed the best sensory results in terms of color, flavor, texture, taste, and overall acceptance.
- Kang IH. 1987. Taste of Korea. Daehan Textbook Co., Ltd., Seoul, Korea. p 282.
- Lee CH, Maeng YS. 1987. A literature review on Korean rice-cakes. Korean J Dietary Culture 2: 117-132.
- Park MK, Lee JM, Park CH, In MJ. 2002. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk containing chlorella powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 225-229. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.2.225
- Shin SM, Kim AJ, Cho HC, Joung KH. 2008. Quality characteristics of Seolgiddeok prepared with added Paecilomyces japonica powder. Korean J Food & Nutr 21: 22-27.
- Eun SD, Kim MY, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk prepared with Houttuynia cordata Thunb. powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 23-30.
- Jun MK, Kim MY, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk prepared with Ulmus cortex powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 31-38.
- Kim BW, Yoon SJ, Jang MS. 2005. Effects of addition Baekbokryung (white Poria cocos Wolf) powder on the quality characteristics of Sulgidduk. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 21: 895-907.
- Yoon SJ, Lee MY. 2004. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk added with concentrations of Hericium erinaceus powder. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 20: 31-36.
- Heo J. 1981. Supplement of Donguibogam. Namsandang, Seoul, Korea. p 1172.
- Shin JS, Lee OS, Jeong YJ. 2002. Changes in the components of onion vinegars by two stages fermentation. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1079-1084.
- Lee CY, Park YK. 1996. Indentification of isorhamnetin-4'-glucoside in onions. J Agric Food Chem 44: 34-36. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf950310e
- Bekeblia N. 2004. Antimicrobial activity of essential oil extracts of various onions (Allium cepa) and garlic (Allium sativum). Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und-Technol 37: 263-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2003.09.001
- Shon MY, Choi SD, Kahng GG, Nam SH, Sung NJ. 2003. Antimutagenic, antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of ethyl acetate extracts from white, yellow and red onions. Food Chem Toxicol 42: 659-666.
- Sheo HJ, Jung DL. 1997. The effects of onion juice on serum lipid levels in rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 26: 1164-1172.
- El-Kemendach FM, Yousef MI, Abou El-Naga NI. 2005. Biochemical study on the hypoglycemic effects of onion and garlic alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Food Chem Toxicol 43: 57-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2004.08.012
- Fatima RA, Ahmad M. 2005. Certain antioxidant enzymes of Allium cepa as biomarkers for the detection of toxic heavy metals in wastewater. Sci Total Environ 346: 256-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.12.004
- Gibson GR. 1998. Dietary modulation of the human gut microflora using prebiotics. Br J Nurt 80: 209-212.
- Ernst M, Feldheim W. 2000. Fructan in higher plants and in human nutrition. J Appl Bot 74: 5-9.
- Lee JO, Lee SA, Kim KH, Choi JJ, Yook HS. 2008. Quality characteristics of cookies added with hot-air dried yellow and red onion powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37: 342-347. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.3.342
- Kee HJ, Ryu GH, Park YK. 2001. Physical properties of extruded snack made of dried onion and onion pomace. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 64-69.
- Lee HJ, Jung SI, Hwang YI. 2009. Characteristics and preservation of the plain bread added with onion juice. Journal of Life Science 19: 781-786. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.6.781
- Chun SS. 2003. Development of functional sponge cakes with onion powder. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32: 62-66. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.1.062
- Kim JG, Shim JY. 2006. Quality characteristics of wheat flour noodle added with onion powder. Food Engineering Progress 10: 269-274.
- Kang NS, Kim JH, Kim JK. 2007. Quality characteristics of soybean curd mixed with freeze dried onion powder. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 47-53.
- Kim SW, Oh EH, Jun HK. 2008. Development of an alcoholic drink using onion extract. Journal of Life Science 18: 980-985. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.7.980
- Kim MY, Chun SS. 2008. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk with tomato powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 412-418.
- Yoo AR, Lee HG. 1984. A study of the physical characteristics of Backsulgi by the amount of water and some kinds of sweeteners. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 13: 381-388.
- Kim KS. 1987. Scientific study for the standardization of the preparation methods for Paeksolgi (I). J ournal of the Korean Home Economics Association 25: 79-87.
- Lee CH, Chae SK, Lee JG, Park BS. 1982. Food quality management. Yeorim-moonhwasa, Seoul, Korea. p 80-84.
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA. Vol I, p 1-29, Vol II, p 80-88.
- Song JC, Park HJ. 2005. Rheology of foods. Ulsan University Print, Ulsan, Korea. p 209-237.
- Koo NS, Kim HS, Lee KA, Kim MJ. 2006. Sensory evaluation. Kyomunsa, Seoul, Korea. p 142-158.
- Lee JO, Lee SA, Kim KH, Yook HS. 2008. Quality characteristics of iced cookies containing freeze-dried yellow and red onion powder. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 18: 766-772.
- Kim JS, Kwak EJ. 2010. Quality characteristics of Sulgidduk containing yam (Dioscorea japonica THUMB) powder. Korean J Food Culture 25: 342-349.
- Oh HE, Hong JS. 2008. Quality characteristics of sulgidduk added with fresh sweet potato. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 501-510.
- Yun SJ. 1999. Sensory and quality characteristics of pumpkin rice cake prepared with different amounts of pumpkin. Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 586-590.
- Choi EH, Yoon S. 1994. Food safety and quality maintenance of frozen vegetables. Journal College of Home Economics Yonsei University 27: 35-38.
- Kim HS. 1997. Effects of frozen storage period and defrosting method on the sensory characteristics of frozen vegetables. Theses Collection of Suwon University 15: 271-279.
- Quality characteristics of Korean steamed rice cake containing different amount of red onion powder vol.20, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.4.488