- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Frozen Aster scaber according to Various Blanching Treatment Conditions
Blanching 처리 조건에 따른 동결 취나물의 품질 특성
- Lee, Hye-Ok (Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Ji-Young (Korean Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Gun-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Kim, Byeong-Sam (Korean Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.11.10
- Accepted : 2012.01.18
- Published : 2012.02.29
In this study, we determined the optimum blanching conditions for pretreatment of Aster scaber prior to freezing to ensure its long, safe preservation as a fine cooking ingredient. Frozen-thawed A. scaber did not significantly differ between blanching groups, but the blanched group showed significantly higher Hunter L, a, and b values than the un-blanched group (p<0.05). Higher temperatures and longer treatment times increased softness; hardness did not significantly differ between the blanched and un-blanched groups of frozen-thawed A. scaber (p<0.05). Total bacterial counts and the presence of coliforms seemed to decline with blanching treatments, but treatment temperature and time did not influence this reduction. Over 95% of peroxidase activity was inactivated by blanching treatment but increased slightly after thawing. The sensory evaluation of the frozen-thawed A. scaber by test group showed the A. scaber blanched at
- KFDA. 2009. Food Code. Korea Food and Drug Administration, Seoul, Korea.
- Jeong JW, Jeong SW, Park KJ. 2003. Changes in internal pressure of frozen fruits by freezing methods. Korean J Food Preserv 10: 459-465.
- Lee HE, Lim CI, Do KR. 2007. Changes of characteristics in red pepper by various freezing and thawing methods. Korean J Food preserv 14: 227-232.
- Kim YH, Lee DS, Kim JC. 2004. Effect of blanching on textural properties of refrigerated and reheated vegetables. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 911-916. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.5.911
- Han YS, Park JY. 2001. The microbiological and sensorial properties of frozen bibimbap namul during storage. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 17: 149-155.
- Lee MK. 1998. Enzymatic determination of glucose using soybean sprouts peroxidase. Korean J Life Sci 8: 416-420.
- Park HO. 1996. A study of pectinesterase, polygalacturonase, lipoxygenase and peroxidase in hot pepper. Korean J Food Nutr 9: 52-58.
- Lee K, Kim KH, Kim HK. 2002. Thermal inactivation parameters of peroxidase in Flammulina velutipes and Lyophyllum ulmarium. Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 1067-1072.
- Jung JY, Lim JH, Jeong EH, Kim BS, Jeong MC. 2007. Effect of blanching conditions and salt concentrations on the quality properties of Aster scaber. Korean J Food Preserv 14: 584-590.
- Shin DB, Lee YC, Kim JH. 2000. Change in quality of garlic during frozen storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 102-110.
- Ku KH, Cho MH, Park WS. 2002. Characteristics of quality and volatile flavor compounds in raw and frozen pinemushroom (Tricholoma matsutake). Korean J Food Sci Technol 34: 625-630.
- Yang JH, Park SH, Yoo JH, Lim HS, Jo JS, Hwang SY. 2003. Effect of freezing methods for kimchi storage stability on physical properties of chinese cabbage. Korean J Food Culture 18: 105-110.
- Lee DH, Park SJ, Park JY. 1999. Effect of freezing and thawing methods on the quality of Dongchimi. Korean J Food Sci Technol 31: 1596-1603.
- Ha JH, Ha SD, Kang YS, Hong KP, Bae DH. 2007. Microbiological, nutritional, and rheological quality changes in frozen potatoes during storage. Korean J Food Sci Technol 39: 663-668.
- Lisiewska Z, Kmiecik W. 1997. Effect of freezing and storage on quality factors in Hamburg and leafy parsley. Food Chem 60: 633-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00048-4
- Prestamo G, Fuster C, Risueno MC. 1998. Effect of blanching and freezing on the structure of carrots cells and their implications for food processing. J Sci Food Agric 77: 223-229. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199806)77:2<223::AID-JSFA29>3.0.CO;2-2
- Kidmose U, Martens HJ. 1999. Changes in texture, microstructure and nutritional quality of carrot slices during blanching and freezing. J Sci Food Agric 79: 1747-1753. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199909)79:12<1747::AID-JSFA429>3.0.CO;2-B
- Gomez G F, Sjoholm I. 2004. Applying biochemical and physiological principles in the industrial freezing of vegetables: a case study on carrots. Trends Food Sci Technol 15: 39-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2003.07.006
- Favell DJ. 1998. A comparison of the vitamin C content of fresh and frozen vegetables. J Chem 62: 59-64.
- Lee MK, Park IS. 1998. Enzymatic characterization of peroxidase from soybean sprouts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 27: 1143-1147.
- Choi NS, Oh SS, Lee JM. 2001. Change of biologically functional compounds and quality properties of Aster scaber (Chamchwi ) by blanching conditions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 745-752.
- Lee HS. 1995. The measurement methods of the textural characteristics of fermented vegetables. Korean J Soc Food Sci 11: 83-91.
- Lim JH, Choi JH, Hong SI, Jeong MC, Kim DM. 2005. Mild heat treatments for quality improvement of fresh-cut potatoes. Korean J Food Preserv 12: 552-557.
- Rudra Shalini G, Shivhare US, Basu S. 2008. Thermal inactivation kinetics of peroxidase in mint leaves. J Food Eng 85: 147-153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.07.010
- Lee MK, Kil JO, Park IS. 1999. Thermostability and reactivation of peroxidase from soybean sprouts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 28: 81-86.
- Ko JW, Chung HS, Lee JH, Choi YH. 1998. Effects of blanching and salting on the quality of immatured soybeans during frozen storage. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol 5: 320-325.
- Combined Treatment of Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, Organic Acid, and Blanching for Microbial Decontamination of Wild Vegetables after Harvest vol.45, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2016.45.2.277
- Changes in the quality of frozen vegetables during storage vol.20, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.3.296
- Effects of Various Pretreatment Methods on Physicochemical and Nutritional Properties of Carrot vol.43, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.12.1881
- Physicochemical Changes in Hemerocallis coreana Nakai After Blanching, Drying, and Fermentation vol.42, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.10.1638
- Effects of Various Thermal Treatments on Physicochemical and Nutritional Properties of Shiitake Mushrooms vol.44, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.6.874
- Changes in Physicochemical Properties of Actinidia arguta (Siebold & Zucc.) Planch. ex Miq. by Blanching, Drying, and Fermentation vol.44, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.3.425
- Effects of steam blanching pretreatment on quality of spray-dried powders prepared from pressed juice of garlic chives vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2015.22.3.385
- Effect of Various Pretreatments Methods under Physicochemical and Nutritional Properties of Onions vol.18, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2014.18.4.382
- In vitro α-glucosidase and pancreatic lipase inhibitory activities and antioxidants of Samnamul (Aruncus dioicus) during rehydration and cooking vol.23, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-014-0177-2