- Volume 41 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Activities of Medicinal Herb Extracts
- Chang, Hyung-Soo (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Sangji University) ;
- Choi, Il (College of Life Science and Natural Resources, Sangji University)
- Received : 2011.10.20
- Accepted : 2011.11.08
- Published : 2012.02.29
In this study, 18 kinds of Korean medicinal herb extracts were examined for anti-microbial activities against pathogenic microorganisms. The methanol (MeOH) extracts from Schizandra chinensis, Rhus javanica and Caesalpinia sappan exhibited antimicrobial activities against most pathogenic microorganisms at concentrations of 5 mg/mL, whereas the other 15 extracts exhibited anti-microbial activities at concentrations of 30 mg/mL. The minimum concentration at which Schizandra chinensis extracts inhibited for S. epidermidis and Bor. bronchiseptica was 0.6 mg/mL. The MeOH extracts from Schizandra chinensis, Caesalpinia sappan, Rhus javanica and Seutellaria baicalensis which had higher anti-microbial activities were subsequently fractionated using 5 different solvents, and further screened for anti-microbial activities. The inhibitory effects of ethyl acetate (EtOAc) extracts on microbial growth were greater compared to any other solvent extracts. In order to investigate the inhibitory effect of Korean medicinal herbs with high anti-microbial activities on microbial proliferation, the MeOH extracts at concentrations of 0, 100, 300 and 500 ppm were added to the media. No addition of extracts caused rapid growth of microbes after 12 hours incubation. As the concentration of extracts from Rhus javanica and Caesalpinia sappan increased, the growth-inhibiting effect on gram-positive bacteria including S. aureus, S. epidermidis, and L. monocytogenes was prominent. Rhus javanica extracts exhibited growth-inhibiting activity for gram-negative bacteria including Sal. Pullorum and Sal. Choleraesuis. The low concentration of extracts from Rhus javanica and Caesalpinia sappan exhibited the growth of Bor. bronchiseptica and E. coli serotype
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Stuart BL. 1992. The antibiotic paradox: How miracle drugs are destroying the miracle. Plenum publishing Co., New York, NY, USA. p 114-129.
- Brumfitt W, Hamilton-Miller J. 1989. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. N Engl J Med 320: 1188-1193. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198905043201806
- Lee BW, Shin DH. 1991. Screening of natural antimicrobial plant extract on food spoilage microorganism. Korean J Food Sci Technol 23: 200-204.
- Beuchat IR, Galden DA. 1989. Antimicrobials occuring naturally in foods. Food Technol 43: 134-137.
- Jung SR. 1993. Antimicrobial activity of commercial medicinal herbs. J Kor Phar Assoc 4: 78-81.
- Shin MG. 1986. Clinical herbal medicine. Younglimsa, Seoul, Korea. p 190-235.
- Jin JI. 1982. Herbal medicine dictionary: Chinese pharmacology dictionary. Kangnamsa, Seoul, Korea. p 235-278.
- Hong MW. 1972. Statistical studies on the formularies of oriental medicine (I): prescription frequency and their origin distribution of herb drugs. Kor J Phamacog 3: 57-64.
- Hwang DY. 1987. Bangyaeghabpeun. Namsandang, Seoul, Korea. p 62-79.
- Kim MS, Lee DC, Hong HE, Chang IS, Che HY, Kwon YK, Kim HY. 2000. Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts from Korean and Indonesian plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 949-958.
- Park UY, Chang DS, Cho HR. 1992. Screening of antimicrobial activity for medicinal herbs extracts. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 21: 91-96.
- Chang HS, Choi I. 2007. Antimicrobial activity of extracts from medicinal herbs against Escherichia coli. Korean J Community Living Sciencs 18: 293-300.
- Choi I, Cho JY, Lim SC. 2006. Antimicrobial activity of medicinal herbs against Staphylococcus aureus. Korean J Plant Res 19: 491-496.
- Ha JY, Kim TH. 1996. Antibacterial effect of extract from Korean medical plants. Korean J Oriental Medical Pathology 10: 99-104.
- Schwob I, Bessiere JM, Dherbomez M, Viano J. 2002. Composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil of Hypericum coris. Fitoterapia 73: 511-513. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00171-5
- Talla E, Djamen D, Djoulde R, Tatsadjeu L, Tantoh D, Mbafor JT, Fomum ZT. 2002. Antimicrobial activity of Bridelia ferruginea leaves extracts. Fitoterapia 73: 343-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0367-326X(02)00084-9
- Masika PJ, Afolayan AJ. 2002. Antimicrobial activity of some plants used for the treatment of livestock disease in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. J Ethnopharmacol 83: 129-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(02)00242-8
- Shin DH, Kim MS, Han JS. 1997. Antimicrobial effect of ethanol extracts from some medicinal herbs and their fractionates against food-born bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 808-816.
- Itokawa H, Hirayama F, Tsuruoka S. 1990. Screening test for antitumor activity of crude Indonesia medicinal plants. Shoyakugaku Zasshi 44: 58-63.
- Piddok LJV. 1990. Techniques used for the determination of antimicrobial resistance and sensitivity in bacteria. J Appl Bacteriol 68: 307-318. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1990.tb02880.x
- Lee MC, Kim GP, Kim SH, Chung NH, Yim MH. 1997. Antimicrobial activity of extract from gall-nut and red-grape husk. Korean J Food & Nutr 10: 174-179.
- An BJ. 2001. Effect of inhibition on glucosyltransferase and antimicrobial activity of polyphenol fraction of gallnut and red grape husk. Kor J Postharvest Sci Technol 8: 217-223.
- Lee SH, Lim YS. 1997. Antimicrobial effects of Schizandra chinesis extracts against Listeria monocytogens. Korean J Appl Microbial Biotechnol 25: 229-234.
- Jung GT, Ju IO, Choi JS, Hong JS. 2000. The antioxidative, antimicrobial and nitrite scavenging effects of Schizandra chinensis RUPRECHT (Omija) seed. Korean J Food Sci Technol 32: 928-935.
- Cho SH, Kim YR. 2001. Antimicrobial characteristics of Scutellariae Radix extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 964-968.
- Lee JY, Min YK, Kim HY. 2001. Isolation of antimicrobial substance from Schizandra chinensis Baillon and antimicrobial effect. Korean J Food Sci Technol 33: 389-394.
- Kweon OG, Son JC, Kim SC, Chung SK, Park SW. 1998. Antimicrobial and antioxidative activities from moutan cortex extract. Kor J Postharvest Sci Technol 5: 281-285.
- Chung KH, Lee SH, Lee YC, Kim JT. 2001. Antimicrobial activity of Omija (Schizandra chinensis) extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 30: 127-132.
- Biological Activity of Korean Dandelion (Taraxacum coreanum) Extracts and Preparation of Korean Dandelion Tea by Roasting Time vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.581
- Quality Characteristics of Raw and Dried Astragalus membranaceus Extracts vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2017.33.1.65
- Antimicrobial and Anti-oral Malodor Efficacy of Schizandra chinensis Extracts against Oral Pathogens vol.23, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2013.23.3.443