- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Weighted Disassemble-based Correction Method to Improve Recognition Rates of Korean Text in Signboard Images
간판영상에서 한글 인식 성능향상을 위한 가중치 기반 음소 단위 분할 교정
- Lee, Myung-Hun ;
- Yang, Hyung-Jeong ;
- Kim, Soo-Hyung ;
- Lee, Guee-Sang ;
- Kim, Sun-Hee (Carnegie Mellon University)
- 이명훈 (코난테크놀로지 미디어기술지원) ;
- 양형정 (전남대학교 전자 컴퓨터 공학부) ;
- 김수형 (전남대학교 전자 컴퓨터 공학부) ;
- 이귀상 (전남대학교 전자 컴퓨터 공학부) ;
- Received : 2012.01.20
- Accepted : 2012.02.02
- Published : 2012.02.28
In this paper, we propose a correction method using phoneme unit segmentation to solve misrecognition of Korean Texts in signboard images using weighted Disassemble Levenshtein Distance. The proposed method calculates distances of recognized texts which are segmented into phoneme units and detects the best matched texts from signboard text database. For verifying the efficiency of the proposed method, a database dictionary is built using 1.3 million words of nationwide signboard through removing duplicated words. We compared the proposed method to Levenshtein Distance and Disassemble Levenshtein Distance which are common representative text string comparison algorithms. As a result, the proposed method based on weighted Disassemble Levenshtein Distance represents an improvement in recognition rates 29.85% and 6% on average compared to that of conventional methods, respectively.
Disassemble Levenshtein Distance;Text Recognition;Signborad images;Levenshtein Distance;Postprocessing
Supported by : 정보통신산업진흥원, 한국연구재단
- A. Wojciechowsk and K. Siek,, "Barcode Scanning from Mobile-Phone Camera Photos Delivered Via MMS: Case Study," ER Workshops, pp.218-227, 2008.
- D. M. Chen, S. S. Tsai, R.Vedantham, R. Grzeszczuk, and B. Girod, "Streaming Mobile Augmented Reality on Mobile Phones," ISMAR, pp.181-182, 2009.
- C. Thillou and B. Gosselin, "Natural scene text understanding," Vision Systems, Segmentation and Pattern Recognition, Ch.16, pp.307-333, 2007.
- A. Canedo-Rodriguez, S. H. Kim, J. H. Kim, and Y. Blanco-Fernandez, "English to Spanish translation of signboard images from mobile phone camera," Southeastcon, 2009. SOUTHEASTCON. IEEE , pp.356-361, 2009.
- I. Haritaoglu, "Scene text extraction and translation for handheld devices," Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol.2, pp.408-413, 2001.
- J. Yang, X. Chen, J. Zhang, Y. Zhang, and A. Waibel, "Automatic Detection and Translation of Text from Natural Scenes," Proceedings of the IEEE 2002 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP '02), Vol.2, pp.2101-2104, 2002.
- N. Ezaki, M. Bulacu, and L. Schomaker, "Text detection from natural scene images: towards a system for visually impaired persons," Pattern Recognition, ICPR 2004. Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on , Vol.2, pp.683-686, 2004.
- C. Li, X. Ding, and Y. Wu, "Automatic text location in natural scene images," Proceedings of International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp.1069-1073, 2001.
- M. L. Wick, M. G. Ross, and E. G. Learned- Miller, "Context-Sensitive Error Correction: Using Topic Models to Improve OCR," International Conference Document Analysis and Recognition, Vol.2, pp.1168-1172, 2007.
- W. S. Rosenbaum and J. J. Hilliard, "Multifont OCR Postprocessing System," IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol.19, No.4, pp.398-421, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1147/rd.194.0398
- S. Dobrisek, J. Zibert, N. Pavesic, and F. Mihelic, "An Edit-Distance Model for the Approximate Matching of Timed Strings," Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions, Vol.31, No.4, pp.736-741, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2008.197
- J. J. Hell and S. N. Srihari, Experiments in Text Recognition with Binary n-Gram and Viterbi Algorithms," Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions, Vol.PAMI-4, No.5, pp.520-530, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1982.4767297
- R. Shinghal and G. T. Toussaint, "Experiments in Text Recognition with the Modified Viterbi Algorithm," Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions, Vol.PAMI-1,No.2, pp.184-193, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.1979.4766904
- S. W. Kim and Y. Aoki, "A Postprocessing of HANGUL Recognitions Using Dictionary Lookup," JTC-CSCC: Joint Technical Conference on Circuits Systems, Computers and Communications Vol.2, pp.1013-1017, 1993.
- R. S. Boyer and J. S. Moore, "A fast string searching algorithm," Comm. of ACM, Vol.20, No.10, pp.762-772, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1145/359842.359859
- V. Bansal and R.M.K. Sinha, "Integrating knowledge sources in Devanagari text recognition system," Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, IEEE Transactions, Vol.30, No.4, pp.500-505, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/3468.852443
- R. M. K. Shinha and B. Prasada, "Visual text recognition through contextual processing," Pattern Recognition, Vol.21, No.5, pp.463-479, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(88)90006-4
- H. Takashi, N. I. Amano, and A. Yamashita, "A spelling correction method and its application to and OCR system," Pattern Recognition, Vol.23, No.3/4, pp.363-377, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-3203(90)90023-E
- T. Okuda, E. Tanaka, and T.Kasai, "A Method for the Correction of Garbled Words Based on the Levenshtein Metric," Computers, IEEE Transactions, Vol.C-25, No.2, pp.172-178, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1109/TC.1976.5009232