- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Extract of Listeria monocytogenes Induces the Apoptosis on the Human Promyelocytic Leukemia Cells, HL-60 Cells
Listeria monocytogenes에 의해 HL-60 cell의 세포고사 유도 효과 규명
- Received : 2011.10.28
- Accepted : 2011.11.24
- Published : 2012.02.28
Acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. Although all-trans retionic acid (ATRA) is the agents for ALP therapy, there are various side effects. For overcome this problem, we need the development of new therapeutic agents for APL. A number of bacteria produce various virulence factors with cytotoxic effects on human cancer cells. To understand the anti-cancer effect of Listeria monocytogenes on APL, we examined alteration of the cell viability, apoptosis and cell cycle arrest of the human promyelocytic leukemia cell line, HL-60 cells. The cell supernatant (LmSup) and the extract of L. monocytogenes (LmE) inhibited the cell viability and induced apoptosis of HL-60 cells. These cytotoxic effect of LmSup and LmE mediated by modulation of cell cycle and ROS production. These results indicate that released or included bacterial molecules from L. monocytogenes have a cytotoxicity in HL-60 cells. Therefore, LmSup and LmE may be used as the potential target for the treatment of cancer induced by HL-60 cells.
Listeria monocytogenes;HL-60 cells;Apoptosis;ROS;Anti-cancer Effect
- 김휘영, "자궁 재활치료를 위한 울트라-스캔방식의 펄스형 레이저시스템", 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제9권, 제6호, pp.256-265, 2009.
- N. Bernardes, R. Seruca, A. M. Chakrabarty, and A. M. Fialho, "Microbial-based therapy of cancer, Current progress and future prospects," Bioengineered Bugs, Vol.1, No.3, pp.178-190, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4161/bbug.1.3.10903
- Y. Andersson, S. Juell, and Q. Fodstad, "Downregulation of the anti-apoptotic MCL-1 protein and apoptosis in MA-11 breast cancer cells induced by an anti-dpidermal growth factor receptor-Pseudomonas exotoxin A immunotoxin," Int. J. Cancer, Vol.112, pp.475-483, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.20371
- A. M. Chakrabarty, "Microorganisms and Cancer: Quest for a therapy," J. Bacteriol, Vol.185, pp.2683-2686, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.185.9.2683-2686.2003
- M. S. Tallman and J. K. Altman, "Curative strategies in acute promyelocytic leukemia," Hematology, Vol.2008, No.1, pp.391-399, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1182/asheducation-2008.1.391
- L. K. Hillestad, "Acute promyelocytic leukemia," Acta. Med. Scand., Vol.159, No.3, pp.189-194, 1957. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0954-6820.1957.tb00124.x
- M. S. Tallman, "Retinoic acid syndrome: a problem of the past?," Leukemia, Vol.16, No.2, pp.160-161, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.leu.2402344
- R. W. Johnstone, A. A. Ruefli, and S. W. Lowe, "Apoptosis: a link between cancer genetics and chemotherapy," Cell, Vol.108, pp.153-164, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(02)00625-6
- G. Kroemer and J. Pouyssegur. "Tumor cell metabolism: cancer's Achilles' heel," Cancer cell, Vol.13, pp.472-482, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2008.05.005
- A. Melet, K. Song, O. Bucur, Z. Jagani, A. R. Grassian, and R. KhosraviFar, "Apoptotic pathways in tumor progression and therapy," Adv. Exp. Med. Biol., Vol.615, pp.47-79, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4020-6554-5_4
- D. R. Green and J. D. Reed, "Mitochondria and apopotosis," Science, Vol.281, pp.1309-1312, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.281.5381.1309
- S. Cory and J. M. Adams, "The Bcl-2 family: regulators of the cellular life-or-death switch," Mat Rev Cancer, Vol.2, pp.647-656, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc883
- M, Ishihama, T. Toyooka, and Y. Ibuki, "Generation of phosphorylated histone H2AX by benzene metabolites," Toxicol. in Vitro, Vol.22, pp.1861-1868, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2008.09.005
- H. Terasaka, Y. Kadoma, H. Sakagami, and S. Fujisawa, "Cytotoxicity and apoptosis- inducing activity of bisphenol A and hydroquinone in HL-60 cells," Anticancer Res., Vol.3B, pp.2241-2247, 2005.
- K. P. Wilson, J. A. Black, J. A. Thomson, E. E. Kim, P. G. James, A. N. Manuel, M. A. Murcko, P. S. Chambers, R. A. Aldape, S. A. Raybuck, and D. J. Livingston, "Structure and mechanism of interleukin-1 beta converting enzyme," Nature, Vol.370, No.6497, pp.270-275, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1038/370270a0
- M. L. Gray and A. H. Killnger, "Listeria monocytogenes and listeric infection," Bacteriol. Rev., Vol.30, pp.309-382, 1966
- R. W. Armstrong and P. C. Fung, "Brainstem encephalitis (Rhombencephalitis) due to Listeria monocytogenes: case report and review," Clin. infect Dis., Vol.16, No.5, pp.689-702, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1093/clind/16.5.689
- F. Lowry, "Live Listeria vaccine proves safe against end-stage cervical cancer in human trial," Ob. Gyn. News, Vol.43, No.10, p.2, 2008.
- M. C. Parra, F. Baquero, and J. C. Perez-Diaz, "The role of apoptosis in Listeria monocytogenes neural infection: Listeriolysin ) interaction with neuroblastoma Neuro-2a cells," Infection, Generics and Evolution, Vol.8, pp.59-67, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meegid.2007.10.002
- C. A. Guzman, E. Domann, M. Rohde, D. Bruder, A. Dariji, S. Weiss, J. Wehland, T. Chakraborty, and K. N. Timmis, "Apoptosis of mouse dendritic cells is triggered by listeriolysin, the major virulence determinant of Listeria monocytogenes," Mol Microbiol, Vol.20, pp.119-126, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2958.1996.tb02494.x
- M. J. Brunda, H. L. Mathews, H. R. Ferguson, J. K. McClatchy, and P. Minden, "Immunotherapy of the guinea pig line 10 hepatocarcinoma with a variety of nonviable bacteria," Cancer research, Vol.40, pp.3211-3213, 1980.
- G. P. Chrousos, S. D. Detera-Wadleigh, and M. Karl, "Syndromes of glucocorticoid resistance," Ann. Intem. Med., Vol.119, No.11, pp.1113-1124, 1993. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-119-11-199312010-00009
- K. W. Adams and G. M. Cooper, "Rapid turnover of mcl-1 couples translation to cell survival and apoptosis," J. Biol. Chem., Vol.282, pp.6192-6200, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M610643200
- X. Du, R. J. Youle, D. J. FitzGerald, and P. Ira, "Pseudomonas Exotoxin A-Mediated apoptosis is Bak dependent and preceded by the degradation of Mcl-1," Molecular and Cellular Biology, Vol.30, No.14, pp.3444-3452, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.00813-09
- 남상남, 김종혁, 지민철, "유산소 운동을 병행한 근 저항성 운동이 노인 여성의 혈중 MDA 및 SOD, GPx 활성에 미치는 영향", 한국콘텐츠학회 논문지, 제9권, 제11호, pp.391-398, 2009.
- A. L. Decatur and D. A. Portnoy, "A PEST-like sequence in listeriolysin O essential for Listeria monocytogenes pathogenicity," Science, Vol.290, No.5493, pp.992-995, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.290.5493.992
- Z Wei, L. A. Zenewicz, and H. Goldfine, "Listeria monocytogenes phosphatidylinositolspecific phospholipase C has evolved for virulence by greatly reduced activity on GPI anchors," Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A., Vol.102, No.36, pp.12927-12931, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0501725102
- L. M. Wood, P. D. Guirnalda, M. M Seavey and Y. Paterson, "Cancer immunotherapy using Listeria monocytogenes and listerial virulence factors," Immunol. Res., Vol.42, pp.233-245, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12026-008-8087-0
- R. W. Tindle, "Human popillloma virus vaccines for cervical cancer," Curr. Opin, Immunol., Vol.8, pp.643-650, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0952-7915(96)80080-X
- R. Singh and Y. Paterson, "Vaccination strategy determines the emergence and dominance of CD8+ T-cell epitopes in a FVB/N rat HER-2/neu mouse model of breast cancer," Cancer Res., Vol.66, pp.7748-7757, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-4469
- R. E. Hqwkins, D. Zhu, M. Ovecka, G. Winter, T. J. Hamblin, A. Long, and F. K. Stevenson, "Idiotypic vaccination against human B-cell lymphoma. Rescue of variable region gene sequences from biopsy material for assembly as single-chain Fv personal vaccines," Blood, Vol.83, No.11, pp.3279-3288, 1994.
- S. Bergelt, S. Frost, and H. Lilie, "Listeriolysin O as cytotoxic component of an immunotoxin," Protein Sci., Vol.18, pp.1210-1220, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/pro.130
- S. C. Kachlanya, A. B. Schwartza, N. V. Balashovaa, C. E. Hioeb, M. Tuenb, A. Lea, M. Kaura, Y. Meia, and J. Raoa, "Anti-leukemia activity of a bacterial toxin with natural specificity for LFA-1 on white blood cells,, Leukemia Res., Vol.34, No.6, pp.777-785, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leukres.2009.08.022
- O. Choi, K. Yahiro, N. Morinaga, M. Miyazaki and M. Noda, "Inhibitory effects of various plant polyphenols on the toxicity of Staphylococcal alpha-toxin," Microb Pathog, Vol.42, pp.215-224,2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micpath.2007.01.007
- L. Zhu, C. Li, J. Wu, J. Liang, and Y. Shi, "Apoptosis of HL-60 cells induced by crystal proteins from Bacillus thuringiensis Bt9875," Wei Sheng Wu Xue Bao, Vol.44, pp.690-694, 2008.
- W. D. Schubert, C. Urbanke, T. Ziehm, V. Beier, M. P. Machner, E. Domann, J. Wehland, T. Chakraborty, and D. W. Heinz, "Structure of internalin, a major invasion protein of Listeria monocytogenes, in complex with its human receptor E-cadheri," Cell, Vol.111, pp.825-836, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(02)01136-4
- A. Kassam, S. D. Der, and J. Mogridge, "Differentiation of human monocytic cell lines confers susceptibility to Bacillus anthracis lethal toxin," Cell Microbiol, Vol.7, pp.291-292, 2005.
- The Apoptosis according to the Processing Irradiation and The Tumor Necrosis Factor vol.10, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2016.10.3.195