- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Perceived Supervisor Support on In-Role and Extra-Role Performance: The Mediating Role of Job-Based Psychological Ownership
상사지원인식이 역할내 성과와 역할외 성과에 미치는 영향: 직무기반 심리적 주인의식의 매개효과를 중심으로
- 차동옥 (성균관대학교 경영전문대학원) ;
- 홍권표 (성균관대학교 경영전문대학원) ;
- 장제욱 (성균관대학교 경영전문대학원) ;
- 박성현 (성균관대학교 경영전문대학원) ;
- 강금원 (성균관대학교 경영전문대학원)
- Received : 2011.12.27
- Accepted : 2012.01.06
- Published : 2012.02.28
This study aims to investigate the effect of perceived supervisor support(PSS) on employees' in-role and extra-role performance by examining the mediating role of job-based psychological ownership(JBPO). Data were collected from 269 employees from a variety of companies. Both regression analysis and structural equation modeling were used. Previous research has found a positive relationship between PSS and job performance. However, empirical analysis has not yet demonstrated PSS-performance relationships mediated through JBPO. Thus, this study investigated this mediation in predicting in-role and extra-role performance. In the current study, JBPO was found to fully mediate the relationship between PSS and in-role performance and to partially mediate the relationship between PSS and extra-role performance. Future discussions and practical implications are discussed.
Perceived Supervisor Support;Job-based Psychological Ownership;In-role Performance;Extra-role Performance
- R. Eisenberger, R. Huntington, S. Hutchison, and D. Sowa, "Perceived organizational support," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.71, pp.500-507, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.500
- T. E. Becker and M. C. Kernan, "Matching commitment to supervisors and organizations to in-role and extra-role performance," Human Performance, Vol.16, pp.327-348, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327043HUP1604_1
- D. Bhanthumnavin, "Perceived social support from supervisor and group members' psychological and situational characteristics as predictors of subordinate performance in Thai work units," Human Resource Development Quarterly, Vol.14, pp.79-97, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1051
- R. M. Malatesta, Understanding the dynamics of organizational and supervisory commitment using a social exchange framework Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Wayne State University, 1995.
- J. L. Kottke and C. E. Sharafinski, "Measuring perceived supervisory and organizational support," Educational and Psychological Measurement, Vol.48, pp.1075-1079, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/0013164488484024
- L. Rhoades and R. Eisenberger, "When Supervisor Feel Supported: Relationship With Subordinates' Perceived Supervisor Support, Perceived organizational support and Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.91, pp.689-695, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.3.689
- J. L. Pierce, T. Kostova, and K. T. Dirks, "Toward a theory of psychological ownership in organizations," Academy of Management Review, Vol.26, pp.298-310, 2001.
- L. Rhoades and R. Eisenberger, "Perceived organizational support: A review of the literature," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.87, pp.698-714, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.4.698
- R. Eisenberger, J. R. Jones, J. Aselage, and I. L. Sucharski, Perceived organizational support. In Coyle-Shapiro, J.A-M., Shore, L.M., Taylor, M.S., and Tetrick, L.E. (Eds.), The employment relationship, New York: Oxford University Press, pp.206-225, 2004.
- H. Levinson, "Reciprocation: The relationship between man and organization," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.9, pp.370-390, 1965. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391032
- R. Eisenberger, J. Cummings, S. Armeli, and P. Lynch, "Perceived organizational support, discretionary treatment, and job satisfaction," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.82, pp.812-820, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.5.812
- L. Rhoades and R. Eisenberger, "Perceived organizational support: A review of the literature." Journal of Applied Psychology, in press
- L. M. Shore and T. H. Shore, Perceived organizational support and organizational justice. In R. S. Cropanzano and K. M. Kacmar (Eds.), Organizational politics, justice, and support: Managing the social climate of the workplace Westport, CT: Quorum, pp.149-164, 1995.
- D. M. Olson and W. C. Borman, "More evidence on relationships between the work environment and job performance," Human Performance, Vol.2, pp.113-130, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327043hup0202_3
- J. A. Schaefer and R. H. Moos, "Relationship, task, and system stressors in the health care workplace," Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology, Vol.3, pp.285-298, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/casp.2450030406
- L. Rhoades, R. Eisenberger, and S. Armeli, "Affective commitment to the organization: The contribution to perceived organizational support," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.86, pp.825-836, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.5.825
- F. Stinglhamber and C. Vandenberghe, "Organizations and supervisors as sources of support and targets of commitment: A longitudinal study," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.24, pp.251-270, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.192
- J. Yoon, N. C. Han, and Y. J. Seo, "Sense of control among hospital employees: An assessment of choice process, empowerment, and buffering hypotheses," Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol.26, pp.686-716, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1996.tb02739.x
- J. Yoon and J. C. Lim, "Organizational support in the workplace: The case of Korean hospital employees," Human Relations, Vol.52, pp.923-945, 1999.
- C. Viswesvaran, J. I. Sanchez, and J. Fisher, "The role of social support in the process of work stress: A meta-analysis," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.54, pp.314-334, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1998.1661
- D. Vandewalle, L. Van Dyne, and T. Kostova, "Psychological ownership: An empirical examination of its consequences," Group & Organization Management, Vol.20, pp.210-226, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601195202008
- J. L. Pierce, T. Kostova, and K. T. Dirks, "The state of psychological ownership: Integrating and extending a century of research" Review of General Psychology, Vol.7, pp.84-107, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/1089-26220.127.116.11
- M. G. Mayhew, N. M. Ashkanasy, T. Bramble, and J. Gardner, "A study of the antecedents and consequences of psychological ownership in organizational settings," Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.147, pp.477-500, 2007. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.147.5.477-500
- L. Van Dyne and J. L. Pierce, "Psychological ownership and feelings of possession : Three field studies predicting employee attitudes and organizational citizenship behavior," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.25, pp.439-459, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.249
- J. L. Pierce, S. A. Rubenfeld, and S. Morgan, "Employee ownership: A conceptual model of process and effects," Academy of Management Review, Vol.16, pp.121-144, 1991. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1991.4279000
- L. Van Dyne and J. A. LePine, "Helping and voice extra-role behaviors: Evidence of onstruct and predictive validity," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.41, pp.108-119, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/256902
- L. Van Dyne, L. L. Cummings, and J. McLean Parks, "Extra-role behaviors: In pursuit of construct and definitional clarity (a bridge over muddied waters)," Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol.17, pp.215-285, 1995.
- D. Katz, "The Motivational basis of organizational behavior," Behavioral Science, Vol.9, 1964.
- J. M. George and A. P. Brief, "Feeling good- -doing good: A conceptual analysis of the mood at work-organizational spontaneity relationship," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.112, pp.310-329, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.2.310
- P. D. Lynch, R. Eisenberger, and S. Armeli, "Perceived organizational support: Inferior-versus -superior performance by wary employees," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.84, pp.467-483, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.84.4.467
- J. B. Avey, B. J. Avolio, C. D. Crossley, and F. Luthans, "Psychological ownership : theoretical extensions, measurement and relation to work outcomes," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.30, pp.173-191, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.583
- 김대원, "조직지원인식 및 정서적 안녕감이 조직 시민행동에 미치는 영향 분석: Mediating, regression model을 이용한 일선 관료들의 정서 적 안녕감의 매개효과 분석", 지방행정연구, 제24 권, 제2호, p.93, 2010.
- 박노윤, "사회적 교환과 경제적 교환-고용지위, 조직지원인식, 리더-부하직원의 관계, 목표지향성의 영향," 기업경영연구, 제16권, 제2호, p.79, 2009.
- 김윤성, "지각된 조직적 지원의 선행변수와 매개 효과에 관한 연구", 대한경영학회지, 제39권, pp.1501-1524, 2003.
- 김영진, 정서적 성향 및 조직 내 과정 변수와 조직 유효성과의 관계에서 심리적 주인의식의 매개효과, 영남대학교(박사), 2011.
- 오수연, 일가치감 결정요인이 심리적 주인의식 및 조직효과성에 미치는 영향, 성균관대학교 석사학위논문, 2010.
- 최주영, 일가치감이 조직시민행동 및 직무수행에 미치는 효과: 심리적 주인의식의 매개효과를 중심으로, 성균관대학교 석사학위논문, 2008.
- 이정, 조직공정성과 조직유효성간의 관계에서 심리적 주인의식의 매개효과, 영남대학교 석사학위논문, 2011.
- 추대엽, 레스토랑 직원의 심리적 주인의식이 지각된 경영품질에 미치는 영향, 세종대학교 박사학위논문, 2009.
- 이규현, 심리적 주인의식의 경로에 영향을 미치는 결정요인에 대한 연구, 성균관대학교 석사학위논문, 2010.
- L. Rhoades, R. Eisenberger, and S. Armeli, "Affective commitment to the organization: the contribution of perceived organizational support," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.86, No.5, pp.825-836, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.86.5.825
- L. J. Williams and S. E. Anderson, "Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role behaviors," Journa of Management. Vol.17, pp.601-617, 1991.
- R. Eisenberger, G. Karagonlar, F. Stinglhamber, P. Neves, T. Becker, M. Gonzalez-Morales and M. Steiger-Mueller, "Leader-Member Exchange and Affective Organizational Commitment: The Contribution of Supervisor's Organizational Embodiment," Journal of Applied Psychology, 2010.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and F. L. Tatham, Multivariate data analysis(6th ed.), Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, 2006.
- J. Cohen, P. Cohen, S. G. West, and L. S. Aiken, Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences (3rd ed.), Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2003.
- R. K. Baron and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.51, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- M. E. Sobel, Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In S. Leinhardt (Ed.), Sociological Methodology Washington DC: American Sociological Association, pp.290-312, 1982.
- J. L. Arbuckle, AMOS 18.0 User's Guide, SPSS Inc., 2009.
- J. C. Anderson, and D. W.Gerbing, "Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, pp.411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- L. Hu, and P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol.6, pp.1-55, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- R. H. Moorman, G. L. Blakely, and B. P. Niehoff, "Does perceived organizational support mediate the relationship between procedural justice and organizational citizenship behavior?" Academy of Management Journal, Vol.41,pp.351-357, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/256913
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. Mackenzie, J. Y. Lee, and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common method Biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommonded remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, pp.879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- The Impact of Leadership-Followership Combination on the Administrative Organizational Performance : An Analysis of Mediating and Moderating Effects vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.01.179
- Effects of Job Security and Psychological Ownership on Turnover Intention and Innovative Behavior of Manufacturing Employees vol.16, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2014.16.1.53