- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Chicken Emulsion Sausages with Different Levels of Makgeolli Lees Fiber
- Park, Kwoan-Sik (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang (Food and Biological Resources Examination Division, Korean Intellectual Property Office) ;
- Kim, Hack-Youn (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Wook (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Song, Dong-Heon (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Hwang, Ko-Eun (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Choi, Seul-Gi (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University) ;
- Kim, Cheon-Jei (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology of Animal Resources, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2011.09.20
- Accepted : 2012.02.06
- Published : 2012.02.29
Makgeolli lees is a by-product of the makgeolli brew processing. Makgeolli lees contains high levels of fibers, which can be separated and used to develop foods rich in dietary fibers. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of makgeolli fibers (0-4%) on proximate composition, caloric content, pH, color, cooking yield, textural profile, and sensory characteristics of chicken-emulsion sausages. The moisture content of 1, 2, and 3% makgeolli lees fiber-amended product was higher than the control, while that of the 4% product was not. Total calorie estimates of makgeolli lees fiber-amended sausages were lower than the control, except for in the case of the 4% treatment. Moreover, chicken sausages supplemented with makgeolli lees fiber had higher cooking yields and improved textural properties. Chicken emulsion sausages prepared with makgeolli lees fiber had improved overall acceptability, and the best results of sensory characteristics were obtained for the emulsion sausages containing 2% makgeolli lees fiber.
Supported by : Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Abiola, S. S., Kadiri, E. I., and Kareem, T. T. (2004) Effect of melon seed meal addition on some quality characteristics of chicken sausages. J. Sci. Food Argic. 84, 423-426. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1661
- AOAC. (2007) Official methods of analysis of AOAC. 18th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Bae, S. H., Jung, E. Y., Kim, S. Y., Shin, K. S., and Suh, H. J. (2010) Antioxidant and immune-modulating activities of Korean traditional rice wine, takju. J. Food Biochem. 34, 233-248. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4514.2009.00327.x
- Blandino, A., Al-Aseeri, M. E., Pandiella, S. S., Cantero, D., and Webb, C. (2003) Cereal-based fermented foods and beverages. Food Res. Int. 36, 527-543. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(03)00009-7
- Bonoli, M., Caboni, M. F., Rodriguez-Estrada, M. T., and Lercker, G. (2007) Effect of feeding fat sources on the quality and composition of lipids of precooked ready-to-eat fried chicken patties. Food Chem. 101, 1327-1337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.03.038
- Bourne, M. C. (1978) Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32, 62-66.
- Cengiz, E. and Gokoglu, N. (2005) Changes in energy and cholesterol contents of frankfurter-type sausages with fat reduction and fat replacer addition. Food Chem. 91, 443-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.06.025
- Chin, K. B. and Ban, G. H. (2008) Evaluation of two levels and types of acorn powder on product quality of low-fat sausages as a fat replacer. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 50, 217-226. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.2.217
- Cho, M. K. and Lee, W. J. (1996) Preparation high-fiber bread with soybean curd residue and makkolli (rice wine) residue. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 25, 632-636.
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Kim, H. W., Lee, M. A., Chung, H. J., and Kim, C. J. (2012) Effects of Laminaria japonica on the physico-chemical and sensory characteristics of reduced-fat pork patties. Meat Sci. 91, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.11.011
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Jeong, J. Y., Chung, H. J., and Kim, C. J. (2010b) Effects of replacing pork back fat with vegetable oils and rice bran fiber on the quality of reduced-fat frankfurters. Meat Sci. 84, 557-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.012
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., and Kim, C. J. (2009) Characteristics of low-fat meat emulsion systems with pork fat replaced by vegetable oils and rice bran fiber. Meat Sci. 82, 266-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.019
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., Jeong, J. Y., and Kim, C. J. (2011) Effects of rice bran fiber on heat-induced gel prepared with pork salt-soluble meat proteins in model system. Meat Sci. 88, 59-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.12.003
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Lee, E. S., Jeong, J. Y., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2008) Effects of rice bran fiber on quality of low-fat tteokgalbi. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 17, 959-964.
- Choi, Y. S., Park, K. S., Choi, J. H., Kim, H. W., Song, D. H., Kim, J. M., Chung, H. J., and Kim, C. J. (2010a) Physicochemical properties of chicken meat emulsion systems with dietary fiber extracted from makgeolli lees. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 30, 910-917. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.910
- Chung, H. J. (2009) Influence of purple sweet potato powder addition on the quality characteristics and oxidative stability of cookies. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 14, 60-65. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2009.14.1.060
- Colmenero, F. J., Ayo, M. J., and Carballo, J. (2005) Physicochemical properties of low sodium frankfurter with added walnut: Effect of transglutaminase combined with caseinate, KCl and dietary fibre as salt replacers. Meat Sci. 69, 781-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.11.011
- Desmond, E. M., Troy, D. J., and Buckley, D. J. (1998) The effects of tapioca starch, oat fiber and whey protein on the physical and sensory properties of low-fat beef burgers. LWT - Food Sci. Technol. 31, 653-657. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1998.0415
- Deumier, F. and Collignan, A. (2003) The effects of sodium lactate and starter cultures on pH, lactic acid bacteria, Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella spp. levels in pure chicken dry fermented sausage. Meat Sci. 65, 1165-1174. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00346-7
- Eim, V. S., Simal, S., Rosselló, C., and Femenia, A. (2008) Effects of addition of carrot dietary fibre on the ripening process of a dry fermented sausage (sobrassada). Meat Sci. 80, 173-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.11.017
- Fernandez-Gines, J. M., Fernandez-Lopez, J., Sayas-Barbera, E., Sendra, E., and Perez-Alvarez, J. A. (2004) Lemon albedo as a new source of dietary fiber: Application to bologna sausages. Meat Sci. 67, 7-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.08.017
- Garcia, M. L., Dominguez, R., Galvez, M. D., Casas, C., and Selgas, M. D. (2002) Utilization of cereal and fruit fibers in low fat dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 60, 227-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00125-5
- Grigelmo-Miguel, N., Abadias-Seros, M. I., and Martin-Belloso, O. (1999) Characterization of low-fat high dietary fibre frankfurters. Meat Sci. 52, 247-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00173-9
- Hwang, K. E., Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Kim, H. Y., Kim, H. W., Lee, M. A., Chung, H. K., and Kim, C. J. (2011) Effect of ganghwayakssuk (Artemisia princeps Pamp.) on oxidative stability of deep fried chicken nuggets. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 20, 1381-1388. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-011-0190-7
- Jeong, J. W. and Park, K. J. (2006) Quality characteristics of loaf bread added takju powder. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 38, 52-58.
- Jeong, J. W., Park, K. J., Kim, M. H., and Kim, D. S. (2006) Changes in quality of spray-dried and freeze-dried takju powder during storage. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 38, 513-520.
- Kim, E. J., Kim, D. K., Lee, D. S., Lee, T. S., and Noh, B. S. (1995) Application of acid urease to prevent ethyl carbamate formation in takju processing. Food Biotechnol. 4, 34-38.
- Kim, S. M. and Cho, W. K. (2006) Effects of takju (Korean turbid rice wine) lees on the serum glucose levels in streptozotocin- induced diabetic rats. Korean J. Food Culture 21, 638-643.
- Lee, H. S., Hong, K. H., Kim, J. Y., Kim, D. H., Yoon, C. H., and Kim, S. M. (2009) Blood pressure lowering effect of Korean turbid rice wine (takju) lees extracts in spontaneously hypertensive rat (SHR). Korean J. Food Culture 24, 338-343.
- Lee, J. S., Lee, T. S., Noh, B. S., and Park, S. O. (1996) Quality characteristics of mash of takju prepared by different raw materials. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 28, 330-336.
- Lee, M. A., Han, D. J., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Kim, H. Y., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2008) Effect of kimchi powder level and drying methods on quality characteristics of breakfast sausage. Meat Sci. 80, 708-714. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.03.010
- Mansour, E. H. and Khalil, A. H. (1999) Characteristics of low-fat beef burgers as influenced by various types of wheat fibers. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79, 493-498. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(19990315)79:4<493::AID-JSFA4>3.0.CO;2-5
- Park, C. S. and Lee, T. S. (2002) Quality characteristics of takju prepared by wheat flour nuruks. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 34, 296-302.
- Sanchez-Zapata, E., Munoz, C. M., Fuentes, E., Fernandez-Lopez, J., Sendra, E., Sayas, E., Navarro, C., and Perez-Alvarez, J. A. (2010) Effect of tiger nut fibre on quality characteristics of pork burger. Meat Sci. 85, 70-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.12.006
- SAS. (2008) SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 9.2, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Steenblock, R. L., Seeranek, J. G., Olson, D. G., and Love, J. A. (2001) The effects of oat fiber on the properties of light bologna and fat-free frankfurters. J. Food Sci. 66, 1409-1415. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2001.tb15223.x
- Thebaudin, J. Y., Lefebvre, A. C., Harrington, M., and Bourgeois, C. M. (1997) Dietary fibers: nutitional and technological interest. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 8, 41-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(97)01007-8
- Turhan, S., Sagir, I., and Ustun, N. S. (2005) Utilization of hazelnut pellicle in low-fat beef burgers. Meat Sci. 71, 312-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.027
- Won, J. H., Son, J. A., Youn, A. R., Kim, H. J., Kim, G. W., and Noh, B. S. (2006) Quality characteristics of pork with addition of jubak (sulchigegie). Korean J. Food Culture 21, 565-570.
- Xiong, Y. L., Noel, D. C., and Moody, W.G. (1999) Textural and sensory properties of low-fat beef sausages with added water and polysaccharides as affected by pH and salt. J. Food Sci. 64, 550-554. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1999.tb15083.x
- Quality characteristics of reduced-fat frankfurters with pork fat replaced by sunflower seed oils and dietary fiber extracted from makgeolli lees vol.93, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.11.025
- Sensory Characteristics of Purple-fleshed Sweet Potato Jam with Varying Sugar Contents vol.25, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2015.8.25.4.660
- Effects of incorporation of sugarcane fibre on the physicochemical and sensory properties of chicken sausage pp.09505423, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13894