- Volume 22 Issue 6
Optimization of Cooked Brown Rice by Controlling the Ratio of Grain Cereal Blends to Improve Palatability
현미밥의 식미 향상을 위한 곡류 혼합비의 최적화
- Han, Gyusang (Dept. of Global Korean Culinary Arts, Woosong University) ;
- Chung, Hae-Jung (Creative Culinary Institute of Korea) ;
- Yoon, Jihyun (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Seoul National University) ;
- Baek, Man-Kee (National Institute of Crop Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2012.09.26
- Accepted : 2012.12.11
- Published : 2012.12.31
The objective of this study was to determine the optimal conditions for preparation of cooked brown rice by blending brown rice, white rice and glutinous rice to improve the palatability. Formulations composed of brown rice (10~100%), white rice (0~90%) and glutinous rice (0~90%) were generated from an extreme-vertices of mixture experimental design, which showed ten experimental points for brown rice, with white rice and glutinous rice as the independent variables. The sensory evaluation, color, and texture profile analysis (TPA) of cooked brown rice and pasting characteristics of blending cereals flour were measured as response variables. Regression analysis showed that all responsible variables fit linear, quadratic or special cubic models (p<0.1), except for the cohesiveness of TPA. The goals of optimization of the blending ratio of brown rice, white rice and glutinous rice were given as appearance, flavor, texture and overall acceptability (lower: 5.50, target: 6.62). The optimal conditions were determined to be 34.55% brown rice, 42.71% white rice and 22.74% glutinous rice.
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Cho DH, Chung HJ, Cho HY, Lim ST (2011) Health functions and utilization products of germinated brown rice. Food Science and Industry 44: 76-86.
- Choe JS, Ahn HH, Nam HJ (2002) Comparison of nutritional composition in Korean rices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 885-892. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.885
- Choi HC, Hong HC, Cho SY (1993) Effects of glutinous of scented rice mixing on the physical properties and eating quality of cooked rice. Korean J Crop Sci 38: 20-21.
- Choi YM, Jeon GU, Kong SH, Lee JS (2009) Changes in GABA content of selected specialty rice after germination. Food Engineering Progress 13: 154-158.
- Chun A, Song J, Kim KJ, Choi ID, Kim DS, Son JR (2007) Study on minimum price rice preparation by blending the low price rice with the by products of head rice processing. Treat of Crop Sci 8: 861-876.
- Chung HS, Shin JC (2009) Study on active compounds and biological activity of rice bran. Korean J Crop Sci 52: 5-10.
- Cornell JA (2002) Experiments with mixtures: design, models, and the analysis of mixture data (3rd ed). John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York. pp 22-95.
- Desikachar HSR, Raghavendra RSN, Ananthachar TK (1965) Effect of degree of milling on water absorption of rice during cooking. J Food Sci Technol 2: 110-112.
- Champagne ET, Marshall WE, Goynes WR (1990) Effects of degree of milling and lipid removal on starch gelatinization in the brown rice kernel. Cereal Chem 67: 570-574.
- Han GJ, Park HJ, Lee HY, Park YH, Cho YS (2008) Cooking techniques to improve the taste of cooked rice: Optimal cooking conditions of top rice cultivars. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 24: 188-197.
- Hegsted M, Windhauser MM, Loster FB, Morris SK, Lester SB (1993) Stabilized rice bran and oat bran lower cholesterol in humans. Nutrition Research 13: 387-398. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(05)80703-1
- Jeon HJ (1997) Softened unpolished rice and production thereof. Korean patent. 1997-0046668.
- Juliano BO (1985a) Rice: Chemistry and technology (2nd ed). American association of cereal chemists, minnesota. pp 37-50.
- Juliano BO (1985b) Rice: Chemistry and technology(2nd ed).American association of cereal chemists, minnesota, pp 480-486.
- Jung EH (2007) The antioxidative and hypoglycemic activities of phenolic acid fraction of rice bran. Ph D Dissertation Seoul National University, Seoul. pp 149-150.
- Kahlon TS, Chow FI, Sayre RN (1994) Cholesterol-lowering properties of rice bran. Cereal Foods World 39: 99-103.
- Kestin M, Moss R, Clifton PM, Nestel PJ (1990) Comparative effects of three cereal brans on plasma lipids, blood pressure and glucose metabolism in mildly hypercholesterolemic men. Am J Clin Nutr 52: 661-666. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/52.4.661
- Kim HW, Oh SK, Kim DJ, Yoon MR, Lee JH, Choi IS, Kim YG, Cha KN (2012) Changes in contents of nutritional components and eating quality of brown rice by pericarp milling. Korean J Crop Sci 57: 35-40. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2012.57.1.035
- Kim KA, Jeon ER (1996) Physicochemical properties and hydration of rice on various polishing degrees. Korean J Food Sci Technol 28: 959-964.
- Kim KJ, Pyun UR, Choi HT, Lee SK, Kim SK (1984) Cooking properties of Akibare and Milyang 23 brown rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 16: 457-362.
- Kim MS, Yang HR, Jeong Y (2004) Mineral contents of brown and milled rice. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 33: 443-446. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.2.443
- Kim SG, Jeong SJ, Kim K, Chae JC, Lee JH (1984) Tentative classification of milled rice by sorption kinetics. J Korean Agricultural Chemical Society 27: 204-210.
- Kim SR, Ahn JY, Lee HY, HA TY (2004) Various properties and phenolic acid contents of rices brans with different milling fractions. Korean J Food Sci Technol 36: 930-936.
- Kim YG (2010) Current status and future on rice breeding. Food Preservation and Processing Industry 9: 75-85.
- Kim YH, Lee JB (2005) Starch apparatus for unpolished rice. Korean patent. 2005-0031890.
- Kim YS, Lee GC (2006) A survey on the comsumption and satisfaction degree of the cooked rice mixed multi-grain in Seoul․Kyeonggi and Kangwon area. Korean J Food Culture 21: 661-669.
- Korea rice technical working group (2010) Unhulled rice and polished rice. Korea National Open University Press, Seoul. pp 752-753.
- Kum JS, Choi BK, Lee HY, Park JD, Park HJ (2004) Physicochemical properties of germinated brown rice. Korean J Food Preserv 11: 182-188.
- Kwon YW, Jeon WB, Choi HC (1991) Changes in palatability of cooked rice by blending high quality rice or glutinous rice to low quality rice and by blending rice of different varieties. Korean J Crop Sci 36: 351-359.
- Kwon YW, Lee EW, Lee BW (1990) Climate, soil and cultural technology of the areas producing high quality rice in Korea with emphasis on the difference between Ichon and other regions. J Crop Sci 33: 291-303.
- Lamberts L, Bie ED, Vandeputte GE, Veraverbeke WS, Derycke V, Man WD, Delcour JA (2007) Effect of milling on colour and nutritional properties of rice. Food Chem 100: 1496-1503. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.11.042
- Lee SO, Kim SK, Lee SL (1983) Kinetic studies on hydration of traditional and high-yielding rice varieties. J Korean Agricultural Chemical Society 26: 1-7.
- Lee YS, Kim YH (2006) Evaluation of anticancer activity and toxicity of tocotrienol extracted from rice bran. Korean J Crop Sci 51: 1-6.
- Lim SJ, kim DU, Sohn JK, Lee SK (1995) Varietal variation of amylogram properties and its relationship with other eating quality characteristics in rice. Korean J Breed 27: 268-275.
- Marshall WE (1992) Effect of degree of milling of brown rice and particle size of milled rice on starch gelatinization. Cereal Chem 69: 632-363.
- Okabe M (1979) Texture measurement of cooked rice and its relationship to the eating quality. Journal of Texture Studies 10: 131-152. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.1979.tb00241.x
- Park HW, Woo KJ (1991) The hydration properties and the cooking qualities of various brown rices. Korean J Soc Food Sci 7: 25-40.
- Park JK, Kim SS, Kim KO (2001) Effect of milling ratio on sensory properties of cooked rice and on physicochemical properties of milled and cooked rice. Cereal Chem 78: 151-156. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2001.78.2.151
- Park JW, Chae SH, Yoon S (2009) The effects of steeping and cooking pressure on qualities of cooked brown rice. Korean J Food Culture 24: 69-76.
- Park KY, Kang CS, Cho YC, Lee YH, Lee YS (2003) Genotypic difference in tocopherol and tocotrienol contents of rice bran. Korean J Crop Sci 48: 468-472.
- Park KY, Kang CS, Cho YC, Lee YS, Lee YH, Lee YS (2004) Tocotrienol and tocopherol contents of rice bran by milling recovery. Korean J Crop Sci 49: 468-471.
- Sandhya Rani MR, Bhattacharya KR (1995) Microscopy of rice starch granules during cooking. Starch 46: 334-337.
- Son JR, Kim JH, Lee JI, Youn YH, Kim JK, Hwang HG, Moon HP (2002) Trend and further research of rice quality evaluation. Korean J Crop Sci 47: 33-54.
- Song BH, Kim DY, Kim SK (1988) Comparison of hydration and cooking rates of brown and milled rices. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 31: 211-216.
- Song J, Chun A, kim SL, Kim DS, Son JR (2006) Color appearances and morphological characteristics of rice according to the visual acceptance. Korean J Crop Sci 51: 618-623.
- Woo KM, Lee YS, Kim YH (2005) Antioxidant effects of tocotrienol in rice bran. Korean J Crop Sci 50: 4-7.
- Yoon SW, Jeong JS, Jin HJ (2011) A conjoint analysis of consumers' purchasing behavior for mixed cereals using salesclerks in the cereal sector of discount stores. Korean J Food Marketing Economics 28: 99-115.
- http://riceborn.com. Accessed August 11, 2012.
- http://www.erang.kr. Accessed August 11, 2012.