- Volume 22 Issue 6
Evaluation of Physicochemical and Fermentation Qualities of Moru Wines Supplemented with Pine Needles or Medicinal Herbs
약용 식물을 첨가한 머루주의 이화학적 특성과 발효 품질 평가
- Lee, Je-Hyuk (Plant Resources Research Institute, Duksung Women's University) ;
- Kang, Tae-Ho (Seoraksan Fermentation Farming Association Corporation) ;
- Um, Byung-Hun (Natural Product Research Center, Korea Institute of Science and Technology KIST Gangneung) ;
- Sohn, Eun-Hwa (Dept. of Herbal Medicine Resource, Kangwon National University) ;
- Han, Woo-Cheul (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ji, Seol-Hee (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jang, Ki-Hyo (Dept. of Food and Nutrition, Kangwon National University)
- 이제혁 (덕성여자대학교 식물자원연구소) ;
- 강태호 (설악산발효 영농조합법인) ;
- 엄병헌 (한국과학기술원 강릉분원) ;
- 손은화 (강원대학교 생약자원개발학과) ;
- 한우철 (강원대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 지설희 (강원대학교 식품영양학과) ;
- 장기효 (강원대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2012.11.15
- Accepted : 2012.12.27
- Published : 2012.12.31
For the development of Moru wine with enhanced sensory qualities, Moru (Vitis amurensis) wines were fermented with pine needles from Pinus densiflora Siebold et Zuccarini to make Moru-pine wine or medicinal herbs from Astragali Radix and Viscum album to make Moru-herb wine. Moru without pine needles or medicinal herbs was included as a control. Pine needles and Astragali Radix/Viscum album delayed the fermentation of Moru wine, but after 40 days of fermentation and aging, final ethanol contents, pH, acidity, and the sugar/organic acid content in these kinds of Moru wines had no differences. The final ethanol level and acidity of Moru wines were 11.5~12.9% and 1.1~1.2%, respectively, but any sugars (glucose, fructose and sucrose) were not detected in all Moru wines. These results are consistent with the general characteristics of Moru wines, which have a high acidity and low sugar contents. Relatively low browness and antocyanins were detected in Moru-herb wine decreasing its chromaticity in a sensory test. Overall, the supplements of Astragali Radix/Viscum album reduced the color of normal Moru wine, which might be applied toward the development of conventional Moru wines.
- Albright SC, Winston WL, Zappe C (1999) Data analysis and decision making with Microsoft Excel. Pacific Grove Brooks/ Cole Publishing Co., CA, USA.
- Bae JH, No SH, Park HJ (2005) Antimicrobial effect of Viscum album var. coloratum extracts on food-borne pathogens. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 15: 182-187.
- Balachander S, Jagadeeswari M, Dhanabalan R, Meenachi M (2012) Antimicrobial activities of Astragalus membranaceus against diarrheal bacterial pathogens. Int J Pharm 2: 416-418.
- Cha EE, Kim BS, Kim DH, Lee YK, Kim YJ, Kang JS (2003) Study on antioxidant action of Loranthus parasistcus (L.) Merr. Kor J Ori Med Physiol Pathol 17: 939-945.
- Choi JH, Park JH, Kim SR, Lee CH, Park SY, Kim TJ, Jeong ST, Choi HS, Yeo SH (2012) Quality characteristics of fermented alcoholic beverage with Astragali Radix added. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 22: 41-51.
- Choi SY, Cho HS, Kim HJ, Ryu CH, Lee JO, Sung NJ (2006) Physicochemical analysis and antioxidative effects of wild grape (Vitis coignetiea) juice and its wine. Korean J Food Nutr 19: 311-317.
- Chung AJ, Hwang GH, Yoo MJ, Rhee SJ (1996) Chemical composition of the pine sprouts and pine needles for the production of pine sprout tea. Korean J Dietary Culture 11: 635-641.
- Im KR, Kim MJ, Jung TK, Yoon KS (2010) Analysis of isoflavonoid contents in Astragalus membranaceus Bunge cultivated in different areas and at various ages. KSBB J 25: 271-276.
- Jang CS, Oh MJ, Roh KS (1999) Purification and biochemical characterization of lectin from Viscum album. Korean J Biotechnol Bioeng 14: 578-584.
- Jang TO, Yoo YH, Hwang YC, Kim HK, Woo HC (2010) Total polyphenol content and antioxidative activities of mistletoe (Viscum album) extracts by supercritical carbon dioxide. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 20-24. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.1.020
- Jeong HJ, Park SB, Kim SA, Kim HK (2007) Total polyphenol content and antioxidative activity of wild grape (Vitis coignetiea) extracts depending on ethanol concentrations. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 36: 1491-1496. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.12.1491
- Kang YH, Park YK, Oh SR, Moon KD (1995) Studies on the physiological functionality of pine needle and mugwort extract. Korean J Food Sci Technol 7: 978-984.
- Kim NY, Choi JH, Kim YG, Jang MY, Moon JH, Park GY, Oh DH (2006) Isolation and characterization of an antioxidant substance from ethanol extract of wild grape (Vitis coignetiea) seed. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 109- 113.
- Kim NY, Jang MK, Jeon MJ, Lee DG, Jang HJ, Lee SW, Kim MY, Kim SG, Lee SH (2010b) Verification of antimicrobial activities of various pine needle extracts against antibiotic resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Life Science 20: 589-596. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.4.589
- Kim SH (2008) Optimal condition for deacidification fermentation of wild grape wine by mixed culture. J Korean Soc Appl Chem 51: 17-23.
- Kim SK (1996) Deacidification of new wild grape wine. Korean J Food Nutr 9: 265-270. Kim SY, Kim SK (1997) Winemaking from new wild grape. Korean J Food Nutr 10: 254-262.
- Kim SY, Kim SK (1997) Winemaking from new wild grape. Korean J Food Nutr 10: 254-262.
- Kim YJ, Cho BJ, Ko MS, Jung JM, Kim HR, Song HS, Lee JY, Sim SS, Kim CJ (2010a) Anti-oxidant and anti-aging activities of essential oils of Pinus densiflora needles and twigs. Yakhak Hoeji 54: 215-225.
- Kim YJ, Song KC, Lee YH, Jang KH, Jung ST, Jeong C (2012) Fruit wine: Science and application. Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Gyeonggi-do, Korea. pp 350-364.
- Kim YS, Park YS (2007) The production of traditional alcoholic beverage in containing medicinal herb. Food Science and Industry 40: 83-89.
- Kwon SC, Choi GH, Hwang JH, Lee KH (2010) Antioxidant activity of hot-water extracts from enzyme hydrolysate of Astragalus membranaceus. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39: 406-413. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.3.406
- Lee JK, Kim JS (2006) Study on the deacidification of wine made from Campbell Early. Korean J Food Sci Technol 38: 408-413.
- Lee KH, Park MH, Park YH, Lee SH, Kim KH, Kim YG, Ahn YS, Kim HY (2011) Antioxidant activity and nitric oxide production of ethanol extracts from Astragali membranaceus Bunge and A. membranaceus Bunge var mongholicus Hisiao. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 40: 1793-1796. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.12.1793
- Lee SJ, Kim EH, Lee HG (2008) Development of rice wines using Cornus officinalis and Scutellaria baicalensis respectively by antioxidant activity test. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 21-30.
- National Agricultural Product Quality Management Service Traditional Food Standard Guideline (2010) NAQS, Suwon, Korea. pp 283-288.
- Sung KC (2004) Characterization and analysis of natural pineneedles extract. J of Korean Oil Chemist's Soc 21: 320-326.
- Yin Y, Heo SI, Jung MJ, Wang MH (2009) Antioxidant and antidiabetic effects of various sections of Astragalus membranaceus. Kor J Pharmacogn 40: 1-5.
- Yoo KS, Kim JS, Jin Q, Moon JS, Kim MD, Han NS (2008) Chemical analysis and sensory evaluation of commercial red wines in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 40: 430-435.