- Volume 22 Issue 5
Quality Characteristics of Glutinous Rice Dduk Made from Different Rice as a Meal Substitute
쌀의 종류에 따른 식사대용 찰떡의 품질 특성
- Kim, Ok-Hee (Dept. of Food Service Management, Kyunghee University) ;
- Shin, Myung-Eun (Dept. of Food Service Management, Kyunghee University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Hee (Dept. of Food Service Management, Kyunghee University)
- Received : 2012.08.24
- Accepted : 2012.10.23
- Published : 2012.10.31
Glutinous rice dduk, traditional Korean rice cake, was prepared using rice(white glutinous rice, brown glutinous rice, black glutinous rice, gaba glutinous rice) as a meal alternative, and each of their quality characteristics were compared. This study had checked sensory tests, color differences, moisture contents, texture characteristics, and storage lives of dduk during storage at room temperature for 6 days. The moisture contents of black glutinous rice dduk scored the highest. For color properties, gaba glutinous rice dduk was darker with a decreased yellow value, whereas its red value was higher comparing with that of brown glutinous rice dduk. The results of the preference test showed that appearance, flavor, texture, and overall preference were the highest in white glutinous rice dduk, whereas black glutinous rice dduk showed the lowest score. The results of the color difference test showed that softness, viscoelasticity, and fineness were the highest in white glutinous rice dduk, whereas black glutinous rice dduk showed the highest difference in color. For individual textural characteristics, black glutinous rice dduk showed the highest score, whereas white glutinous rice dduk showed the lowest scores in hardness, chewiness, and gumminess. In the results of the textural characteristics of dduk during storage, white glutinous rice dduk showed the highest increase in hardness after 48 hours, whereas black glutinous rice dduk showed the lowest increase. White glutinous rice dduk showed the highest increases in chewiness and gumminess. Cohesiveness decreased in all glutinous rice dduk. In the results of fungal occurrence in dduk during storage, black and gaba glutinous rice dduk showed increased fungi occurrence compared with white and brown glutinous rice dduk after 6 days. In conclusion, the overall preference for glutinous rice dduk made from different rice is more affected by appearance or texture than flavor.
- 강인희(1997) 한국의 떡과 과줄. 대한교과서, 서울. pp 12-41.
- 신민자(2002) 한국의 떡 한과 및 음료. 신광출판사, 서울. pp 33-64.
- 윤서석(1991) 한국의 음식용어. 민음사, 서울. pp 324-346.
- 이효지(1998) 한국의 음식문화. 신광출판사, 서울. pp 297-304.
- Cho JA, Cho HJ (2000) Quality properties of injulmi made with black rice. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 226-231.
- Jang YJ (2004) Screening of antioxidative activities for functional rice and effects of supplementation of functional rice on the cholesterol metabolism in high-cholesterol fed rats. MS Thesis Kyungpook National Unibersity, Daegu. pp 1-2.
- Jung HS (2004) Quality of characteristics of paeksulgis added powder of Opuntia ficus indica var. sabten powder. Korean J Soc Food Sci 20: 637-642.
- Jung HO, Han YS, Kim KH, Oh ST (1999) Shelf-life extension of noodle and rice cake by the addition of plantain. Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 68-72.
- Jung SO (2009) The quality and characteristics of sulgitteok based on the blending rate of 'Goami 2'. MS Thesis Kyunghee University, Seoul. p 41.
- Kim BH, Yoon SJ, Jang MS (2005) Effects of addition baecbokryung powder on the quality characteristics of sulgidduk. Korean J Soc Food Sci 21: 895-907.
- Kim HJ (2001) Sensory and mechanical characteristics of songhwasulgi by different ratio of ingredients. Korean J Soc Food Sci 21: 505-513.
- Kim HS, Yoon JY (2004) Effects of various sugar alcohols on the sensory properties of mulberry rice cake. Korean J Soc Food Sci 20: 520-528.
- Kim JM, Kweon SY, Kim JG (2009) Change on the textural and sensory characteristics of kongsulgidduk by the added amount of glutinous rice flour. J East Asian Soc Dietary Life 19: 89-95.
- Kim K, Lee YH, Park YK (1995) Effect of steeping time of waxy rice on the firming rate waxy rice cake. Korean J Food Sci Technol 27: 264-265.
- Kim KH, Han YS, Jeun HJ (1999) Effect of addition of brown rice flour on quality of backsulgies. Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 121-126.
- Lee HJ (1991) A study of the texture of shinggumchopyun by the amount of water and some kinds of sweetener. Korean J Soc Food Sci 7: 41-49.
- Lee HG, Cha GH, Park JH (2004) Quality characteristics of injelmi by different ratios of kugija (Lycii fructus) powder. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 20: 409-417.
- Lee JM, Park YJ, Lee SM (2001) Sensory and physicochemical attributes of glutinous rice dduk added cham-chwi. Korean J Dietary Culture 16: 180-186.
- Lee JS (1999) Assessment of women's consumption pattern and preference of Korean cake. Korean J Dietary Culture 14: 447-454.
- Park GS, Park AJ, Kim HH (2000) The sensual mechanical characteristics of dohaengbyoung in according to concentrations of glutinous rice. Korean J Soc Food Sci 16: 670-676.
- Park MK, Park CH (2002) Comparisons on the quality characteristics of pigmented rice cholpyon with those of brown and white rice. Korean J Soc Food Cookery Sci 18: 471-475.
- Sim YJ, Jeon HJ, Baeck JE (1991) A study on the texture characteristics of ssooksulgis affected by mugworts. Korean J Soc Food Sci 1: 35-43.
- Yoon JM, Cho MH, Hahn TR, Paik YS, Yoon HH (1997) Physicochemical stability of anthocyanins from a Korean pigmented rice variety as national food colorants. Korean J Food Sci Technol 29: 211-217.
- Yoon SJ (1999) Sensory and quality characteristics of Sanyakbyung prepared with different amounts of glutinous rice flour. Korean J Soc Food Sci 15: 591-594.
- Yoon SJ, Noh KS, Han KY (2007) A study on the housewives' consumption pattern and preference of the Korean rice cake as a substitute for meal. Korean J Food Culture 22: 10-21.
- http://nonguipin.co.kr. Accessed January 13, 2012.