- Volume 21 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Germination Continuity and Restoration of Salicornia europaea, Halophyte in West-coast of Korea
서해안 염생식물 퉁퉁마디의 발아지속과 복원
- Received : 2011.10.19
- Accepted : 2012.01.20
- Published : 2012.02.29
Salicornia europaea (glasswort) is succulent, annual, halophytic plant mainly distributed throughout reclaimed land or salt marsh. It has strong tolerance to salt so that it plays the part of the pioneer species in the first succession. According to domestic and foreign studies, S. europaea contains plenty of minerals and antioxidant in the body. Since people take note of an availableness of this plant as health diet, the natural growth sites are threatened. In addition to development of salt marsh and sea shore, imprudent harvest has a bad effect to S. europaea population maintenance. To seek ways to preserve the population of this plant, we carried out the continuity of seed germination and restoration test. Seokmo Island, Daebu Island, Youngjong Island and Sudokwon landfill in Korea are selected sites for research. Result of germination continuity shows that most S. europaea seeds germinate on March but no more after July. However the germination was occurred after that time in the greenhouse. So we concluded that no germination after July is a matter of environmental condition not the number of remaining seeds. Also germination was seldom occurred in the spot where seeds production was not happened. In result of continuity test of seed germination by soil depth, germination was occurred vigorously only in top soil. From these results, we note that most S. europaea germinate in the early spring, and germination is finished by July. And this rapid germination speed makes the number of seeds in soil seed bank rare. If a large number of S. europaea in some area are harvested after July, the number of this species will dramatically decrease in that area the following year. In Seokmo Island, we carried out reintroduction experiment by sowing S. europaea seeds. On the first year, a small number of S. europaea settled and they produced seeds successfully. On April 2010, the second year, we observed many S. europaea in seed sowing sites. And we found out that plowing is more efficient than treatment sea water for settlement of S. europaea.
Salicornia europaea;Halophyte;Germination continuity;Restoration;West-coast
- 박춘영, 2009, 퉁퉁마디의 지역적 변이에 대한 분자생물학적 연구, 목포대학교 대학원.
- 송무영, 신광수, 1998, 영종도 주변의 인공위성 영상 분석, 대한지질공학회 학술발표회논문집, 1-4.
- 이창복, 1980, 대한식물도감, 향문사, 306.
- 임병선, 이점숙, 우제창, 곽애경, 임현빈, 1995, 염분농도의 변화에 따른 수 종 염생식물의 적응.
- 조용주, 2008, 침출수 정화용 갈대 선발을 위한 생태생리 및 유전적 다양성, 서울대학교 대학원.
- Aaron, M. E., 1987. Effects of competition, disturbance, and herbivory on Salicornia europaea, Ecology, 68(3), 576-586. https://doi.org/10.2307/1938463
- Beeftink, W. G., 1985, Population dynamics of annual Salicornia europaea species in the tidal salt marshes of the Oosterschelde, the Netherlands, Plant Ecology, 61(1), 127-136. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00039817
- Breckle, S. W., 1990, Salinity tolerance of different halophyte types in N. Bassam and M. Dambroth, genetic Aspects of plant mineral nutrition. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 167-175.
- Chabreck, R. H., 1987, Coastal marshes. University of Minesotta Press, 3.
- Kinzel, H., 1989, Calcium in the vacuoles and cell wall of plant tissue, Flora, 182, 99-125.
- Tikhomirova, N. A., Ushakova, S. A., Kovalena, N. P., Gribovskaya, I. V., Tikhomirov, A. A., 2005, Influence of high concentrations of mineral salts on production process and NaCl accumulation by Salicornia europaea plants as a constituent of the LSS phototroph link. Advances in Space Research, 35(9), 1589-1593. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2005.01.055
- Tikhomirova, N. A., Ushakova, S. A., Kalacheva, G. S., 2009, Production process in Salicornia europaea plants as a prospective phototrophic constituent in bioregenerative life support systems, Russian Journal of Plant Physiology, 56(1), 22-28. https://doi.org/10.1134/S102144370901004X
- Tikhomirova, N. A., Ushakova, S. A., Tikhomirov, A. A., Kalacheva, G. S., Gros, J. B., 2008, Possibility of Salicornia europaea use for the human liquid wastes inclusion into BLSS intrasystem mass exchange, Acta Astronautica, 63, 1106-1110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actaastro.2008.01.003
- van der Valk, A. G., Davis, C. B., 1978, The role of seed banks in the vegetation dynamics of prairie glacial marshes, Ecology, 59, 322-335. https://doi.org/10.2307/1936377
- Vascular Plants Distributed in Daesong Tidal Flat Wetland, Ahnsan-si, Gyeonggi-do vol.17, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2014.17.2.31