- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Research on Management System of Herbal Medicine in Common Use for Food and Medicine
식약공용 한약재의 관리 방안에 관한 연구
- Kweon, Kee-Tae (Division of Traditional Korean Medicine Industry, Office for Healthcare Policy, Ministry of Health & Welfare)
- 권기태 (보건복지부 보건의료정책실 한의약산업과)
- Received : 2012.02.22
- Accepted : 2012.03.16
- Published : 2012.03.30
Objectives : This article reviews a solution preventing the illegal distribution of herbal medicine in common use for food and medicine and risks on public health by conducting safety management of food and medicine. Also, this article would like to contribute to improvement of public health treating diseases in compliance with accurate diagnosis and prescription of Oriental Medicine Doctor("OMD")'s. Methods : An approach in this research can be categorized into two : first, to examine the current administrative situation and problems of herbal medicine in common use for food and medicine based on policy documents of Ministry of Health and Welfare and Korea Food and Drug Adminstration("KFDA") and academic articles of the herbal medicine;second, to find reasonable administrative solutions to solve the problems. Solutions : A solution is to strengthen the management level of herbal medicine in common use for food and medicine by selecting 117 items as target items requiring concentrated management. In case herbal medicine is imported for food, KFDA strengthens the quality management level of herbal medicine by making use of inspection frequency at random, collecting and verifying herbal medicine on the market. However, KFDA decides to maintain current different quality specification system of food and medicine reflecting a civil complaint that quality specification of food and medicine should separately managed according to the purpose of use. Herbal medicine as medicine that is functioned as treating diseases and alleviating symptoms, unlike herbal medicine for food, can cure all kinds of diseases by recovering inner balance of human body, making use of other properties of herbal medicine. Medicine has its own properties. If a doctor uses properties of medicine appropriately, he cures diseases. If a doctor uses herbal medicine inappropriately. he may damage human body. Thus, whether side effects of medicine depend on a doctor who uses herbal medicine. Conclusions : All herbal medicine will be supplied into the market after strict safety control of manufacturers of herbal medicine according to the revised Pharmaceutical Affairs Act, beginning in April, 2012. Thus, people can take safer and more reliable herbal medicine through strengthening safety management of herbal medicine and improving quality and transparency in the distribution system. Herbal medicine should appropriately be prescribed by licensed OMD because herbal medicine is used to treat diseases and alleviate symptoms, unlike herbal medicine for food.
- Jeong KH. Changes and Outlook in Food Safety Management in 2009. Health and Welfare Policy Forum. 2009;147:34.
- Bak YH, Huang DS, Shin HK. A Survey of the Medical Treatment Environment in Traditional Korean Medicine Clinics. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2011;32-4:25.
- Huang DS, Shin HK. A Survey of the Status of Management and Prices of Herbal Medicines: Traditional Korean Medicine Institutions. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medicine. 2011;32-5: 95.
- Lesley Bremness. Medicinal Plant. Guangzhou China:Youyi Publishing company China. 2007:10.
- Kweon KT. Study on The Regulation on Poisonous Medicinal Herbs. The Korean Society of Law and Medicine. 2010;11-1:273.
- Song VK. Control System of Herbal Medicine in Shared Use for Food and Medicine Purpose. Consumers Korea. 2007:7, 16-18, 132.
- Harold McGee. On Food and Cooking:The Science and Lore of the Kitchen. New York:Simon and Schuster. 2004:253.
- Tang Win. Talk about Traditional Chinese Medicine ("走近中醫"). Lee MH, Kim JS, translator. Seoul: Cheonghong. 2009:292-293, 326-327.
- Kweon KT. A Study on Reformation of the Legal System for Herbal Medicines in Korea. Korea University a master's thesis. 2003:10.
- Shin HK. 5-Year National Plan for Developing Traditional Korean Medicine(2006∼2010). Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2005:195.
- Lim BM. Present Status of Oriental and Alternative Medicine Related Industries in Korea. Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 2001:61.
- Kawahara Hideki. A poisonous medicine tastes bitter("DOKUYAKU WA KUCHI NI NIGASHICHUGOKU NO BUNJIN TO FUROFUSHI"). Kim KR, translator. Seoul:Sungkyunkwan University. 2009:18.
- Ju NY, Lee KM, Jeong HA, Na HJ, Song TH, Lee SH. Food Hygiene & HACCP. Seoul:Powerbook. 2009:4.
- The Relational Characteristics, Satisfaction and Collaboration between Wholesalers & Oriental Clinic in Oriental Medicine Channel vol.14, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.3.1171
- The effects of water extract from Dictamnus dasycarpus Turcz on Hepatocellular Damage in vitro vol.29, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2014.29.5.91
- Discrimination of Polygoni Multiflori radix and Cynanchi Auriculati radix using ultra-high performance liquid chromatography fingerprints and chemical pattern recognition pp.02693879, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/bmc.4050