- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Non-Uniform Convergence Tolerance Scheme for Enhancing the Branch-and-Bound Method
비균일 수렴허용오차 방법을 이용한 분지한계법 개선에 관한 연구
- Jung, Sang-Jin (Graduate School of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Chen, Xi (Eaton Corporation) ;
- Choi, Gyung-Hyun (Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Choi, Dong-Hoon (The Center of Innovative Design Optimization Technology (iDOT), Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2011.01.27
- Accepted : 2012.01.17
- Published : 2012.04.01
In order to improve the efficiency of the branch-and-bound method for mixed-discrete nonlinear programming, a nonuniform convergence tolerance scheme is proposed for the continuous subproblem optimizations. The suggested scheme assigns the convergence tolerances for each continuous subproblem optimization according to the maximum constraint violation obtained from the first iteration of each subproblem optimization in order to reduce the total number of function evaluations needed to reach the discrete optimal solution. The proposed tolerance scheme is integrated with five branching order options. The comparative performance test results using the ten combinations of the five branching orders and two convergence tolerance schemes show that the suggested non-uniform convergence tolerance scheme is obviously superior to the uniform one. The results also show that the branching order option using the minimum clearance difference method performed best among the five branching order options. Therefore, we recommend using the "minimum clearance difference method" for branching and the "non-uniform convergence tolerance scheme" for solving discrete optimization problems.
Discrete Optimization;Mixed-Discrete Nonlinear Programming;Branch-and-Bound Method;Convergence Tolerance;Branching Order
Grant : 터보펌프 볼 베어링의 시제품 개발
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Rajeev, S. and Krishnamoorthy, C. S., 1992, "Discrete Optimization of Structures Using Genetic Algorithms," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 118, No. 5, pp. 1233-1250. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1992)118:5(1233)
- Lin, C.-Y. and Hajela, P., 1992, "Genetic Algorithms in Optimization Problems with Discrete and Integer Design Variables," Engineering Optimization, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 309-327. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052159208941234
- He, S., Prempain, E. and Wu, Q. H., 2004, "An Improved Particle Swarm Optimizer for Mechanical Design Optimization Problems," Engineering Optimization, Vo. 36, No. 5, pp. 585-605. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052150410001704854
- Kitayama, S., Arakawa, M. and Yamazaki, K., 2006, "Penalty Function Approach for the Mixed Discrete Nonlinear Problems by Particle Swarm Optimization," Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 191-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-006-0021-2
- Shin, D. K., Gürdal, Z. and Griffin, O. H., 1990, "A Penalty Approach for Nonlinear Optimization with Discrete Design Variables," Engineering Optimization, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 29- 42. https://doi.org/10.1080/03052159008941163
- Loh, H. T. and Papalambros, P. Y., 1991, "A Sequential Linearization Approach for Solving Mixed- Discrete Nonlinear Design Optimization Problems," Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME, Vol. 113, No. 3, pp. 325-334. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2912786
- Loh, H. T. and Papalambros, P. Y., 1991, "Computational Implementation and Tests of a Sequential Linearization Algorithm for Mixed-Discrete Nonlinear Design Optimization," Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME, Vol. 113, No. 3, pp. 335-345. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2912787
- Bremicker, M., Papalambros, P. Y. and Loh, H. T., 1990, "Solution of Mixed-Discrete Structural Optimization Problems with a New Sequential Linearization Algorithm," Computers and Structures, Vo. 37, No. 4, pp. 451-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(90)90035-Z
- Land, A. H. and Doig, A. G., 1960, "An Automatic Method of Solving Discrete Programming Problems," Econometrica, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 497-520. https://doi.org/10.2307/1910129
- Dakin, R. J., 1965, "A Tree-Search Algorithm for Mixed Integer Programming Problems," The Computer Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 250-255. https://doi.org/10.1093/comjnl/8.3.250
- Gupta, O. K. and Ravindran, A., 1983, "Nonlinear Integer Programming and Discrete Optimization," Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design, ASME, Vol. 105, No. 2, pp. 160-164. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3258502
- Hajela, P. and Shih, C. J., 1989, "Optimal design of Laminated Composites Using a Modified Mixed Integer and Discrete Programming Algorithm," Computers and Structures, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(89)90087-4
- Sandgren, E., 1990, "Nonlinear Integer and Discrete Programming in Mechnical Design Optimization," Journal of Mechanical Design, ASME, Vol. 112, No. 2, pp. 223-229. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2912596
- Arora, J. S., Huang, M. W. and Hsieh, C. C., 1994, "Methods for Optimization of Nonlinear Problems with Discrete Variables: A Review," Structural Optimization, Vol. 8, No. 2-3, pp. 69-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01743302
- Tseng, C. H., Wang, L. W. and Ling, S. F., 1995, "Enhancing Branch-and-Bound Method for Structural Optimization," Journal of structural engineering, N.Y., Vol. 121, No. 5, pp. 831-837. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:5(831)
- Leyffer, S., 2001, "Integrating SQP and Branch-and-Bound for Mixed Integer Nonlinear Programming," Computational Optimization and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 295-309. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011241421041
- Thanedar, P. B. and Vanderplaats, G. N., 1995, "Survey of Discrete Variable Optimization for Structural Design," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 121, No. 2, pp. 301-305. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:2(301)
- Huang, M. W. and Arora, J. S., 1997, "Optimal Design with Discrete Variables: Some Numerical Experiments," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 165-188. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0207(19970115)40:1<165::AID-NME60>3.0.CO;2-I
- Jung, S., Choi, D. H. and Choi, G., "A sequential Quadratic Programming with an Approximate Hessian Matrix Update Using an Enhanced Two-Point Diagonal Quadratic Approximation," 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multi-Disciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, Fort Worth, Texas, USA.
- 1999, DOT user's manual, version 5.0, Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc.
- 2011, PIAnO user's manual, version 3.3, PIDOTECH, Inc.
- Arora, J. S., 2004, Introduction to Optimum Design, 2nd Edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, pp. 517-518.
- Chvatal, V., 1983, Linear Programming, Freeman, W. H., New York.
- Salajegheh, E. and Vanderplaats, G. N., 1993, "Optimum Design of Trusses with Discrete Sizing and Shape Variables," Structural Optimization, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 79-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01743339
- Arora, J. S., 2004, Introduction to optimum design, 2nd Edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, pp. 529.
- Chen, X., 2009, An Enhanced Branch-and-Bound Method for Discrete Optimization, Master's Thesis, Hanyang University, pp. 36-38.
- Arora, J. S., 2004, Introduction to Optimum Design, 2nd Edition, Elsevier/Academic Press, pp. 528.
- Rao, S. S. and Xiong, Y., 2005, "A hybrid Genetic Algorithm for Mixed-Discrete Design Optimization," Journal of Mechanical Design, Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 127, No. 6, pp. 1100-1112. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1876436
- Nema, S., Goulermas, J., Sparrow, G. and Cook, P., 2008, "A Hybrid Particle Swarm Branch-and-Bound (HPB) Optimizer for Mixed Discrete Nonlinear Programming," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part A:Systems and Humans, Vol. 38, No. 6, pp. 1411-1424. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCA.2008.2003536