- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study of a Low-Temperature Bonding Process for a Next-Generation Flexible Display Module Using Transverse Ultrasound
횡 초음파를 이용한 차세대 플렉시블 디스플레이 모듈 저온 접합 공정 연구
- Ji, Myeong-Gu (School of NID Fusion Nano Micro Robot System, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology) ;
- Song, Chun-Sam (R&D Center. Inc., LTS(Laser Total Solution)) ;
- Kim, Joo-Hyun (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kookmin Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jong-Hyeong (School of Mechanical Design and Automation Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.07.20
- Accepted : 2012.01.26
- Published : 2012.04.01
This is direct bonding many of the metal bumps between FPCB and HPCB substrate. By using an ultrasonic horn mounted on an ultrasonic bonding machine, it is possible to bond gold pads onto the FPCB and HPCB at room temperature without an adhesive like ACA or NCA and high heat and solder. This ultrasonic bonding technology minimizes damage to the material. The process conditions evaluated for obtaining a greater bonding strength than 0.6 kgf, which is commercially required, were 40 kHz of frequency; 0.6MPa of bonding pressure; and 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 s of bonding time. The peel off test was performed for evaluating bonding strength, which was found to be more than 0.80 kgf.
Ultrasonic Bonding;Low Temperature Bonding;Metal Bump Direct Bonding;FPCB;Display Module
- Fan, A., Rahman, A. and Rief, R., 1999, "Copper afer Bonding," Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, Vol. 2, No. 10, pp. 534-536. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1390894
- Umemoto, M., Tanida, K., Tomita, Y. and Takahashi, K., Dec. 2002, "Non-Metallurgical Bonding Technology with Super-Narrow Gap for 3D Stacked LSI," Proc. of Electronic Components and Technology, pp. 285-288.
- Tago, M., Tomita, Y., Nemoto, Y., Tanida, K., Umemoto, M. and Takahashi, K., 2002, "Superfìne Flip-Chip Bonding Technology Utilizing Tin-Capped Cu Bumps in 20um-Pitch," Tech. Digest, 6th VLSI Pakaging Workshop of Japan, Kyoto, Japan, pp. 161-164.
- Tsan, C. H., Schimidt, M. A. and Spearmg, S. M., 2001, "Fabrication Process and Plasticity of Gold-Gold Thennocompression Bonds," Proc. of the 6th International Symposium on Semiconductor Wafer Bonding Science, technology and Applications, pp. 1-8.
- Development of Release Film Automatic Adhesion Machine for Production of Flexible Printed Circuit Board vol.446-447, pp.1662-7482, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.446-447.892