- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Oxide Film Formation on the Fatigue Behavior of Aluminum Alloy
알루미늄합금 재료의 산화막 형성이 피로거동에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Jong-Cheon (Graduate School of NID Fusion Technology, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science & Technology) ;
- Cheong, Seong-Kyun (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Seoul Nat'l Univ. of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2011.09.29
- Accepted : 2012.01.18
- Published : 2012.04.01
In this study, the effects of surface oxide film formation on the fatigue behavior of 7075-T6 aluminum alloy were analyzed in terms of the corrosion time of the alloy. The aluminum material used is known to have high corrosion resistance due to the passivation phenomenon that prevents corrosion. Aluminum alloys have been widely used in various industrial applications such as aircraft component manufacturing because of their lighter weight and higher strength than other materials. Therefore, studies on the fatigue behavior of materials and passivation properties that prevent corrosion are required. The fatigue behavior in terms of the corrosion time was analyzed by using a four-pointing bending machine, and the surface corrosion level of the aluminum material in terms of the corrosion time was estimated by measuring the surface roughness. In addition, fractographic analysis was performed and the oxide films formed on the material surface were studied by scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The results indicated that corrosion actively progressed for four weeks during the initial corrosion phase, the fatigue life significantly decreased, and the surface roughness increased. However, after four weeks, the corrosion reaction tended to slow down due to the passivation phenomenon of the material. Therefore, on the basis of SEM analysis results, it was concluded that the growth of the surface oxide film was reduced after four weeks and then the oxide film on the material surface served as a protection layer and prevented further corrosion.
Aluminum Alloy;Corrosion;Oxide Film;Passivation;Fatigue Behavior
- Christian Vargel, 2004, Corrosion of Aluminium, Elsevier, pp. 9-291.
- Kang, D. H., Choi, S. W., Lee, J. K. and Kim, T. W., 2009, "Load Conditions and Corrosion Fatigue Crack Propagation Behavior of High Performance Steel Under Seawater Environment," Trans. of the KSME(Spring Annual Meeting), pp. 78-81.
- Hill, J.-A., Tracey, M., Maria, F., Patrick, C. H. and Bruce, R. W., Hinton, 2011, "Corrosion1 Inhibition of 7000 Series Aluminium Alloys with Cerium Diphenyl Phosphate," Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 509, Issues 5, pp. 1683-1690. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2010.09.151
- Jones, K. and Hoeppner, D. W., 2009, "The Interaction Between Pitting Corrosion, Grain Boundaries, and Constituent Particles During Corrosion Fatigue of 7075-T6 Aluminum Alloy," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 31, Issues 4, pp. 686-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2008.03.016
- Chlistovsky, R. M., Heffernan, P. J. and DuQuesnay, D. L., 2007, "Corrosion-Fatigue Behaviour of 7075-T651 Aluminum Alloy Subjected to Periodic Overloads," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 29, Issues 9-11, pp. 1941-1949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2007.01.010
- Piprani, V., Prachi, S., Verma, B. B. and Ray, P. K., 2009, "Fatigue Life Estimation of Pre-Corroded Aluminium Alloys Specimen," Dept. of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering National Institute of Technology, VIKAS Piprani 10504017.
- Itoi, Y., Akio, H., Eiichi S. and Kazuo, T., 1980, "Corrosion Resistance of Aluminum Oxide Film and Electrolytically Coloured Film in Sodium Chloride Solution," Electrochimica Acto, Vol. 25, Issues 12, pp. 1297-1302. https://doi.org/10.1016/0013-4686(80)87137-4
- Ensinger, W., Lensch, O., Knecht, L., Volz, K., and Kiuchi, M., 2002, "Pitting Corrosion of Aluminum Coated by Ion Beam Assisted Deposition of Carbon with Argon Ions at Different Ion-to-Atom Arrival Ratios," Surface and Coating Technology, Vol. 158-159, pp. 594-598. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0257-8972(02)00315-8
- Lin, C. K. and Yang, S. T., 1998, "Corrosion Fatigue of 7975 Aluminum Alloy in Different Tempers," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 779-795. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7944(97)00173-2
- Lyman, J. and Abel, R.B., 1958, "Chemicals Aspects of Physical Oceanography," Journal of Chemical Education, Vol. 35, pp. 113-115. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed035p113
- Huppatz, W. and Meissner, H., 1987 "Effect of the Temperature and Salt Content of Sea Water on the Corrosion Behavior of Aluminium," Werkstoffe und Korrosion, vol. 38, pp. 709-710. https://doi.org/10.1002/maco.19870381110
- Ameen, M. S., 1995, "Fractography: Fracture Topography as a Tool in Fracture Mechanics and Stress Analysis. an Introduction," Geological Society Special Publication, No. 92, pp. 1-10.
- Optimal Structural Design and Fatigue Analysis of Radius Rod by Response Surface Method vol.22, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2014.22.1.029
- Finite Element Analysis of Large Deformation of Fiber Metal Laminates Under Bending for Stress-Strain Prediction vol.39, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.10.963