- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Application of Saint-Venant's Principle to Anisotropic Beams
이방성 보 구조물 응력해석에서의 생브낭 원리
- Kim, Jun-Sik (Dept. of Intelligent Mechanical Engineering, Kumoh Nat'l Institute of Tech.)
- 김준식 (금오공과대학교 지능기계공학과)
- Received : 2011.12.21
- Accepted : 2012.02.07
- Published : 2012.04.01
Asymptotic analysis is a powerful tool for the mathematically rigorous design and analysis of anisotropic beam structures. However, it has a limitation in that the asymptotic approach requires asymptotically correct boundary conditions for higher-order solutions, which are often needed for beams weak in shear. A method utilizing Saint-Venant's principle was proposed in a previous work to improve the stress state of isotropic beams and plates. In this paper, such a method is generalized for anisotropic beams, so that one does not need to consider the asymptotically correct boundary conditions for higher-order solutions. Consequently, solving the recursive system equations is not necessary, which makes the method very efficient in terms of accuracy and computational effort.
Saint-Venant Principle;Stress Recovery;Anisotropic Beam;Asymptotic Analysis
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Jones, R. M., 1975, Mechanics of Composite Materials, McGraw-Hill Kogakusha, Ltd.
- Oh, J., Cho, M., Kim, J.-S. and Grediac, M., 2008, "A Finite Element Formulation Based on an Enhanced First Order Shear Deformation Theory for Composite and Sandwich Structures," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 871-878. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-0103-8
- Kim, J.-S., Cho, M. and Smith, E. C., 2008, "An Asymptotic Analysis of Composite Beams with Kinematically Corrected End Effects," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 45, pp. 1954-1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2007.11.005
- Kim, J.-S, 2009, "An Asymptotic Analysis of Anisotropic Heterogeneous Plates with Consideration of End Effects," Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Vol. 4, No. 9, pp. 1535-1553. https://doi.org/10.2140/jomms.2009.4.1535
- Kim, J.-S. and Cho, M., 2011, "A Novel Methodology of Improving Stress Prediction via Saint-Venant's Principle," Journal of the COSEIK, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 149-156.
- Fung, Y. C., 1965, Foundations of Solid Mechanics, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- von Mises, R., 1945, "On Saint Venant's Principle," Bulletin of the AMS, Vol.51, No. 7, pp. 555-562. https://doi.org/10.1090/S0002-9904-1945-08394-3
- Buannic, N. and Cartraud, P., 2001, "Higher-order Effective Modeling of Periodic Heterogeneous Beams I. Asymptotic Expansion Method," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 38, pp. 7139-7161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(00)00422-4
- Kim, J.-S. and Wang, K. W., 2011, "On the Asymptotic Boundary Conditions of an Anisotropic Beam via Virtual Work Principle," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 48, pp. 2422-2431. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2011.04.016
- Experimental Study on Dynamic Characteristics of Structurally Tailored Isotropic Box Beams vol.37, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.5.641
- Improvement of Euler-Bernoulli Beam Theory for Free Vibration and Buckling Analyses via Saint-Venant's Principle vol.40, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.4.381