- Volume 3 Issue 2
The objective of this study is to provide basic information on coupled motions in thoracic spine during lateral bending from a neutral position for football and baseball players as well as for general university students. In the experiment, a total of 30 subjects participated(football players: 10, baseball players: 10, general students: 10). All subjects were in their 20's. The subjects sat on a chair with lumbar support in a neutral position and bent to the right. As a result, for baseball players, coupled motions were observed in the opposite direction of the lateral bending in all parts of thoracic spine. For both football players and general students, coupled motions were observed in the same direction. These results confirmed that unilateral movements like baseball could affect coupled motions.
Thoracic Spine;Lateral Bending;Coupled Motion
- Ochia, RS, Inoue N, Renner SM, Lorenz EP, Lim TH, Andersson GB, An HS. Three-dimensional in vivo measurement of lumbar spine segmental motion. Spine 2006; 31(18): 2073-2078. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000231435.55842.9e
- Theodoridis D, Ruston S. The effect of shoulder movements on thoracic spine 3D motion. Clin Biomech 2002; 17(5): 418-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00026-8
- Harrison DE, Harrison DD, Cailloet R, Janik TJ, Troyanovich SJ. Cervical coupling during lateral head translation. Clin Biomech 2000; 15: 436-440. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(99)00098-4
- Sizer PS, Brisme'e JM, Cook C. Coupling behavior of the thoracic spine: A systematic review of the literature. J Manipulative Physio Ther 2007; 30(5): 390-399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2007.04.009
- Ishii T, Mukai Y, Hosono N, Sakaura H, Fuji, R, Nakjima Y, Tamura S, Iwasaki M, Yoshikawa H, Sugamoto K. Kinematics of the cervical spine in sidebending in vivo three-dimensional analysis. Spine 2006; 31(31): 155-160. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000195173.47334.1f
- Veldhuizen A. Scholten P. Kinematics of the scoliotic spine as related to the normal spine. Spine 1987; 12(9): 852-858. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198711000-00005
- Bogduk N. Clinical Anatomy of the Lumbar Spine and Sacrum. Churchill Livingstone 1997.
- Gibbons R, Tehan R. Muscle energy concepts and coupled motion of the spine. Manual Ther 1998; 3(2): 95-101. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1356-689X(98)80025-8
- Panjabi M, Brand R, White A. Mechanical properties of the human thoracic spine as shown by three dimensional load-displacement curves. J of Bone Joint Surg Am 1976; 58(5): 642-652.
- Kaltenborn F. The spine. 2nd Ed, Olaf Norlis Bokhandel 1993.
- Oxland T, Lin R, Panjabi M. Three dimensional mechanical properties of the thoracolumbar junction. J of Orthop Res 1992; 10(4): 573-580. https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.1100100412
- Willems J, Jull G. An in vivo study of the primary and coupled rotations of the thoracic spine. Clin Biomech 1996; 11(6): 311-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(96)00017-4
- Lee JH, Kim KH, Jung JG, Kim SH. The Effect of Forming Upright Posture for Kendo Training. J Phys Grow Motor develop 1999; 7(1): 131-138.
- Choi DS, Cho JH, Moon GS, Shin SA, Lee HD , Lee SC, A comparison analysis of three-dimensional kinematics and ground reaction force during the instep and out-front soccer kicks. J Sports Sci 2012; 23(1): 46-56.
- Kim KS, Cho JH, Moon GS, Shin SA, Lee HD, Lee SC. Kinematic analysis of instep kick movement, Korean Sports Res 2003; 14(5): 2025-2038.
- Han TR, Yoo MJ, Yoo MJ, Lee SJ. Three dimensional batting motion analysis of korean professional and college baseball players. Korean J Sports Med 1996; 14(6): 22-29.
- White A, Panjabi M. Clinical biomechanics of the spine 2nd ed, Philadelphia, Lippincott; 1990.
- Lund T, Nydegger T, Schlenzka D, Oxland T. Three-dimensional motion patterns during active bending in patients with chronic low back pain. Spine 2002; 27(17): 1865-1874. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200209010-00012