- Volume 28 Issue 3
The Effect of Glide Path on Canal Centering Ability in Reciprocating File System
Reciprocating 파일 시스템에서 Glide Path가 근관만곡도 유지에 미치는 영향
- Zang, Ki-Choul (Department of Conservative Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University, School of Dentistry) ;
- Kim, Jin-Woo (Department of Conservative Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University, School of Dentistry) ;
- Cho, Kyung-Mo (Department of Conservative Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University, School of Dentistry) ;
- Park, Se-Hee (Department of Conservative Dentistry, Gangneung-Wonju National University, School of Dentistry)
- 장기철 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치의학과 치과보존학교실) ;
- 김진우 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치의학과 치과보존학교실) ;
- 조경모 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치의학과 치과보존학교실) ;
- 박세희 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 치의학과 치과보존학교실)
- Received : 2012.07.12
- Accepted : 2012.09.25
- Published : 2012.09.30
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of glide path on canal centering ratio after instrumentation with different single file systems; WaveOne and Reciproc. Reciproc R25 (VDW), WaveOne Primary (Dentsply Maillefer) and PathFile #13, 16, 19 (Dentsply Maillefer) were used in this study. In no glide path groups, Reciproc files and WaveOne files used for canal preparation without glide path. In glide path groups, the PathFile were used before canal preparation. Methylene blue dye was introduced into the canal to obtain a clear pre-instrumentation image. Pre-instrumentation images and post-instrumentation images were scanned using Epson Perfection V700 Photo scanner (Epson, Nagano, Japan). Transparencies of post-instrumentation images were changed and superimposed on pre-instrumentation images using Adobe Photoshop CS 3 (Adobe Systems Incorporated, San Jose, CA, USA). The centering ratio was calculated for each instrumented canal using the following formula: CR=|X1-X2|/Y. It was statistically analyzed using two-way ANOVA at 95% confidential level. The centering ratio in glide path groups were significant less than it in no glide path groups at 3, 4, 5 and 6 mm level. Except 1 and 6 mm level, WaveOne groups had significant less centering ration than Reciproc groups. At 6 mm level, there was no significant difference between WaveOne and Reciproc. In the limitation of this study, creation of a previous glide path before reciprocating motion instrumentation in curved canal appears to be appropriate and WaveOne system can be used for preparation of curved canal without severe aberrations.
- Kum KY, Spangberg L, Cha BY, Il-Young J, Msd, Seung-Jong L, et al. Shaping ability of three ProFile rotary instrumentation techniques in simulated resin root canals. J Endod 2000;26(12):719- 723.
- Ponti TM, McDonald NJ, Kuttler S, Strassler HE, Dumsha TC. Canal-centering ability of two rotary file systems. J Endod 2002;28(4):283-286.
- Kosa DA, Marshall G, Baumgartner JC. An analysis of canal centering using mechanical instrumentation techniques. J Endod 1999;25(6):441- 445.
- Melo MC, Pereira ES, Viana AC, Fonseca AM, Buono VT, Bahia MG. Dimensional characterization and mechanical behaviour of K3 rotary instruments. Int Endod J 2008;41(4):329-338.
- Zhang EW, Cheung GS, Zheng YF. Influence of cross-sectional design and dimension on mechanical behavior of nickel-titanium instruments under torsion and bending: a numerical analysis. J Endod 2010;36(8):1394-1398.
- Kim HC, Kwak SW, Cheung GS, Ko DH, Chung SM, Lee W. Cyclic fatigue and torsional resistance of two new nickel-titanium instruments used in reciprocation motion: Reciproc versus WaveOne. J Endod 2012;38(4):541-544.
- Burklein S, Hinschitza K, Dammaschke T, Schafer E. Shaping ability and cleaning effectiveness of two single-file systems in severely curved root canals of extracted teeth: reciproc and WaveOne versus Mtwo and ProTaper. Int Endod J 2012;45(5):449-461.
- McSpadden JT. Mastering endodontic instrumentation. Chattanooga, TN: Cloudland Institute; 2007.
- Jafarzadeh H, Abbott PV. Ledge formation: review of a great challenge in endodontics. J Endod 2007;33(10):1155-1162.
- Kim HC, Lee W. 한 개의 NiTi 파일로 완성하는 근관치료. Seoul: Ostem; 2012.
- Alves Vde O, Bueno CE, Cunha RS, Pinheiro SL, Fontana CE, de Martin AS. Comparison among manual instruments and PathFile and Mtwo rotary instruments to create a glide path in the root canal preparation of curved canals. J Endod 2012;38(1):117-120.
- Berutti E, Paolino DS, Chiandussi G, Alovisi M, Cantatore G, Castellucci A, et al. Root canal anatomy preservation of WaveOne reciprocating files with or without glide path. J Endod 2012;38(1) :101-104.
- Gordon MP, Chandler NP. Electronic apex locators. Int Endod J 2004;37(7):425-437.
- Johnson E, Lloyd A, Kuttler S, Namerow K. Comparison between a novel nickel-titanium alloy and 508 nitinol on the cyclic fatigue life of ProFile 25/.04 rotary instruments. J Endod 2008;34(11):1406-1409.
- Alapati SB, Brantley WA, Svec TA, Powers JM, Nusstein JM, Daehn GS. SEM observations of nickel-titanium rotary endodontic instruments that fractured during clinical Use. J Endod 2005;31 (1):40-43.
- Gonzalez-Rodrguez MP, Ferrer-Luque CM. A comparison of Profile, Hero 642, and K3 instrumentation systems in teeth using digital imaging analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radio Endod 2004;97(1):112-115.
- Schafer E, Vlassis M. Comparative investigation of two rotary nickel-titanium instruments: ProTaper versus RaCe. Part 2. Cleaning effectiveness and shaping ability in severely curved root canals of extracted teeth. Int Endod J 2004;37(4):239-248.
- Shen Y, Cheung GS, Bian Z, Peng B. Comparison of defects in ProFile and ProTaper systems after clinical use. J Endod 2006;32(1):61-65.
- You SY, Bae KS, Baek SH, Kum KY, Shon WJ, Lee W. Lifespan of one nickel-titanium rotary file with reciprocating motion in curved root canals. J Endod 2010;36(12):1991-1994.
- Varela-Patino P, Ibanez-Parraga A, Rivas-Mundina B, Cantatore G, Otero XL, Martin-Biedma B. Alternating versus continuous rotation: a comparative study of the effect on instrument life. J Endod 2010;36(1):157-159.
- Patino PV, Biedma BM, Liebana CR, Cantatore G, Bahillo JG. The influence of a manual glide path on the separation rate of NiTi rotary instruments. J Endod 2005;31(2):114-116.
- Peters OA, Peters CI, Schonenberger K, Barbakow F. ProTaper rotary root canal preparation: assessment of torque and force in relation to canal anatomy. Int Endod J 2003;36(2):93-99.
- Calhoun G, Montgomery S. The effects of four instrumentation techniques on root canal shape. J Endod 1988;14(6):273-277.
- Zuolo ML, Walton RE, Imura N. Histologic evaluation of three endodontic instrument/preparation techniques. Endod Dental Traumatol 1992;8(3):125-129.
- Wu MK, Fan B, Wesselink PR. Leakage along apical root fillings in curved root canals. Part I: effects of apical transportation on seal of root fillings. J Endod 2000;26(4):210-216.
- Bryant ST, Thompson SA, al-Omari MA, Dummer PM. Shaping ability of ProFile rotary nickel-titanium instruments with ISO sized tips in simulated root canals: Part 2. Int Endod J 1998;31(4):282-289.
- Bryant ST, Thompson SA, al-Omari MA, Dummer PM. Shaping ability of Profile rotary nickel-titanium instruments with ISO sized tips in simulated root canals: Part 1. Int Endod J 1998;31(4):275-281.
- Weine FS, Kelly RF, Lio PJ. The effect of preparation procedures on original canal shape and on apical foramen shape. J Endod 1975;1(8):255-262.
- Yared G. Canal preparation using only one Ni-Ti rotary instrument: preliminary observations. Int Endod J 2008;41(4):339-344.
- Sonntag D, Peters OA. Effect of prion decontamination protocols on nickel-titanium rotary surfaces. J Endod 2007;33(4):442-446.