- Volume 28 Issue 4
Morphological Analysis of the Sinus Lateral Wall Using Cone-Beam Computed Tomography
콘빔형 전산화단층영상을 이용한 상악동 측벽의 형태학적 분석
- An, Seo-Young (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Gun (Department of Periodontology, School of Dentistry, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.09.10
- Accepted : 2012.12.25
- Published : 2012.12.30
The purpose of this study was to measure the thickness of the sinus lateral wall using cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT), and to find the most suitable vertical position for lateral window opening prior to sinus elevation. Fifty three patients requiring sinus elevation had CBCT scans acquired by CB MercuRay (Hitachi, Medico, Tokyo, Japan) from July, 2010 to June, 2012. The thickness of the sinus lateral wall was measured according to its vertical position against the sinus inferior border (SIB), and its mean was calculated through two repeated measurements. The thickness of the sinus lateral wall was more than 2 mm at 2 mm above the sinus inferior border (SIB+2), however, it was less than 2 mm at 3 mm above the sinus inferior border (SIB+3). In conclusion, it is recommended that the inferior border of lateral wall window be made 3 mm above the sinus inferior border during sinus elevation using the lateral approach considering the thickness of the sinus lateral wall.
Supported by : 경북대학교
- Kobayashi K, Shimoda S, Nakagawa Y, Yamamoto A. Accuracy in measurement of distance using limited cone-beam computerized tomography. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:228-231.
- Bosse LP, Taylor TD. Problems associated with implant rehabilitation of the edentulous maxilla. Dent Clin North Am 1998;42:117-127.
- Wallace SS, Froum SJ. Effect of maxillary sinus augmentation on the survival of endosseous dental implants. A systematic review. Ann Periodontol 2003;8:328-343.
- Del Fabbro M, Testori T, Francetti L,Weinstein R. Systematic review of survival rates for implants placed in the grafted maxillary sinus. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2004;24:565-577.
- Zitzmann NU, Scharer P. Sinus elevation procedures in the resorbed posterior maxilla. Comparison of the crestal and lateral approaches. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1998;85:8-17.
- Kim soo Guan. Surgery of the Sinus Bone Graft, Sinus Bone Graft, Seoul, Daehan Publishing Co. 2004;67-68.
- Yong-Gun Kim. Morphological Analysis of the Sinus Lateral Wall using Computed Tomography. J Dent Rehab App Sci. 2011;27:285-292.
- Garg AK. Augmentation grafting of the maxillary sinus for placement of dental implants: anatomy, physiology, and procedures. Implant Dent 1999;8: 36-46.
- Van den Bergh JPA, ten Bruggenkate CM, Disch FJM, Tuinzing DB. Anatomical aspects of sinus floor elevations. Clin Oral Implants Res 2000;11:256-265.
- Truhlar RS, Orenstein IH, Morris HF, Ochi S. Distribution of bone quality in patients receiving endosseous dental implants. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997;55:38-45.
- Tatum OH. Maxillary and sinus implant reconstructions. Dent Clin North Am 1986;30:207-229.
- Boyne PJ, James RA. Grafting of the maxillary sinus floor with autogenous marrow and bone. J Oral Surg 1980;38:613-616.
- Schwartz-Arad D, Herzberg R, Dolev E. The prevalence of surgical complications of the sinus graft procedure and their impact on implant survival. J Periodontol 2004;75:511-516.
- McDermott NE, Chuang SK, Woo VV, Dodson TB. Maxillary sinus augmentation as a risk factor for implant failure. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2006;21:366-374.
- Flanagan D. Arterial supply of maxillary sinus and potential for bleeding complication during lateral approach sinus elevation. Implant Dent 2005;14:336 -339.
- Testori T, Wallace SS, Fabbro MD et al. Repair of large sinus membrane perforations using stabilized collagen barrier membranes: surgical techniques with histologic and radiographic evidence of success. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2008;28:9-17.
- Sam-sun Lee, Soon Chul Choi, Radiographic examination for successful dental implant. Korean J Oral Maxillofacial Radiol 2005;35:63-68.
- Kang SJ, Shin SI, Herr Y et al. Anatomical structures in the maxillary sinus related to lateral sinus elevation: a cone beam computed tomographic analysis. Clin Oral Implants Res 2011 Dec 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Benavides E, Rios HF, Ganz SD et al. Use of cone beam computed tomography in implant dentistry: the International Congress of Oral Implantologists consensus report. Implant Dent 2012;21:78-86.
- Kim JH, Ryu JS, Kim KD et al. A radiographic study of the posterior superior alveolar artery. Implant Dent 2011;20:306-310.
- Orhan K, KusakciSeker B, Aksoy S et al. Cone Beam CT Evaluation of Maxillary Sinus Septa Prevalence, Height, Location and Morphology in Children and an Adult Population. Med Princ Pract 2012 Jul 24. [Epub ahead of print]