- Volume 28 Issue 4
Full Mouth Rehabilitation with a Overlay Denture
피개의치를 이용한 지적장애인의 완전구강회복
- Ko, Kyung-Ho (Department of Prosthodontics and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Gon (Department of Prosthodontics and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Park, Chan-Jin (Department of Prosthodontics and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Cho, Lee-Ra (Department of Prosthodontics and Research Institute of Oral Science, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- 고경호 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 보철학교실 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 김대곤 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 보철학교실 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 박찬진 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 보철학교실 및 구강과학연구소) ;
- 조리라 (강릉원주대학교 치과대학 보철학교실 및 구강과학연구소)
- Received : 2012.05.20
- Accepted : 2012.12.25
- Published : 2012.12.30
This clinical report presents the case using overlay dentures to treat a patient with cleft lip and palate and malocclusion. This patient requires vigorous treatment such as orthodontic treatment and combined orthodontic/oral surgery procedures. Overlay denture can be used as an alternative treatment option. Intraoral and radiographic examinations were done. The vertical dimension of occlusion was evaluated for proper prosthetic procedures and the surveying in the diagnostic cast was done. Considering the tissue and teeth undercut, the alterations of teeth shape were done. Final preparation and impression was performed. After the evaluation of vertical dimension and occlusion with wax-denture, the dentures were polymerized. Clinical remounting and occlusal adjustment were done on the articulator. Overlay dentures were delivered and the patient was recalled for relining. The overlay dentures satisfied patient's esthetic and functional requirements and provided a stable occlusion. Overlay dentures in this case were a reversible and relatively inexpensive treatment for this patient, however the potential possibilities of caries and periodontal disease as a result of poor oral hygiene should be prevented with periodic recall.
- American Association of Mental Retardation: The International Classification of Diseases-10, World health organization 1996;9-13.
- American Psychiatric Association. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders-IV-TR, 2000.
- Nicholas A. Rogers HW. "Chapter 1, Psychology's surrender to political correctness". Destructive trends in mental health: the well-intentioned path to harm. New York: Routledge. 2005.
- Kawakami S, Yokozeki M, Horiuchi S, Moriyama K. Oral rehabilitation of an orthodontic patient with cleft lip and palate and hypodontia using secondary bone grafting, osseo-integrated implants, and prosthetic treatment. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2004;41:279-84.
- Ejvind Budtz-jorgensen. Prosthodontics for the elderly. Hanover Park: Quintessence; 1999.
- Mosby's Dental Dictionary. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2004.
- Ganddini MR, Al-Mardini M, Graser GN, Almog D. Maxillary and mandibular overlay removable partial dentures for the restoration of worn teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 2004;91:210-4.
- Del Castillo R, Lamar F Jr, Ercoli C. Maxillary and mandibular overlay removable partial dentures for the treatment of posterioropen-occlusal relationship: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2002;87:587-92.
- Graser GN, Rogoff GS. Removable partial overdentures for special patients. Dent Clin North Am 1990;34:741-58.
- Pavarina AC, Machado AL, Vergani CE, Giampaolo ET Overlay removable partial dentures for a patient with ectodermal dysplasia: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent. 2001;86:574-7.
- Boyne PJ, Sands NR. Combined orthodontic-surgical management of residual palato-alveolar cleft defects. Am J Orthod. 1976;70:20-37.
- Gizani S, Declerck D, Vinckier F, Martens L, Marks L, Goffin G. Oral health condition of 12-year-old handicapped children in Flanders (Belgium). Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1997;25:352-7.
- Windchy AM, Morris JC. An alternative treatment with the overlay removable partial denture: a clinical report. J Prosthet Dent 1998;79:249-53.
- Ettinger RL. Tooth loss in an overdenture population. J Prosthet Dent 1988;60:459-62.
- Graser GN, Rogoff GS. Overdentures for acquired and congenital anomalies:2. Partial overdentures. Int J Prosthodont 1990;3:361-7.