- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An Analysis of Educational Factors on Career Choice of Science-gifted Students to Science and Technology Bound Universities
과학영재의 이공계 대학 진로선택에 영향을 미치는 교육적 요인 분석
- Lee, Ji-Ae (Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Soo-Kyong (Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Young-Min (Pusan National University)
- Received : 2011.06.23
- Accepted : 2012.02.15
- Published : 2012.02.29
The purpose of this study was to investigate the educational factors on career choice of science-gifted students to science and technology bound universities and the difference of perception in regards to group factors. In addition, this study aimed to examine the effects of science-gifted education and critical events in relation to career choice to science and technology bound universities. For the study, 104 university freshmen, 75 males and 29 females, were sampled from UNIST (Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology), that many science high school graduates entered this year. The survey was conducted with questionnaires to do with the perceptions concerning career choice and educational factors that cause them to choose such career directions. The educational factors on career choice to science and technology bound universities were classified as 3 main categories such as educational environment factor (teaching-learning factor), human factor, attitude towards science factor and the subcategories within each category. The research findings are as follows: First, the factors were closely connected with each other and 'the project centered classes' were highly interrelated with other educational environment factors such as 'the experiment activity and environment for the activity' and 'influence of teachers (professors).' Second, the female students and graduates of the science high school were more positively influenced by the educational environment and human factors on their decision for career than male students and graduates of the general high school. Third, this research found that historical scientific knowledge, perception of scientists' social status and job applications in the science field gave less influence rather than other factors on their decision for career. As a result of examining critical events for science-gifted education in relation to career choice to science and technology bound universities, numerous students mentioned that the extracurricular science activities such as science camps and field trips gave significant effects on students' career choices to science and engineering fields.
science-gifted students;science and technology bound university;career choice;educational environment factor (teaching-learning factor);human factor;attitude towards science factor
- 권상문 (2010). 울산과학기술대학교 설립추진과정 및 발전방향 연구. 울산대학교 정책대학원 석사학위논문.
- 김경대, 심재영 (2008). R&E 프로그램을 체험한 과학영재들의 사사교육 프로그램 효과에 대한 인식: KAIST 신입생을 중심으로. 한국과학교육학회지, 28(4), 282-290.
- 김충기 (2004). 미래사회와 진로선택. 고양: 한국학술정보 eBook.
- 김현정, 유준희 (2006). 과학 영재 학생들의 진로 선택 과정에 영향을 주는 과학 영재 캠프의 요인 분석. 한국과학교육학회지, 26(2), 268-278.
- 서혜애, 장수명, Lionel Pereira-Mendoza (2004). 초.중등 우수학생 이공계 진출을 위한 과학 교육정책 방안 수립 연구. 연구보고 RR2004-05. 서울: 한국교육개발원.
- 심재영, 박은영 (2003). 과학영재의 진로의식 변화 연구(1996년-2003년). 영재교육연구, 13(2), 95-112.
- 양태연, 한기순, 박인호 (2007). 대학부설 과학영재교육원 수료생들이 인식하는 영재교육의 의미. 영재교육연구, 17(3), 463-493.
- 염승렬, 김선자, 정병훈, 박종욱 (2008). 대학부설 과학영재교육원의 교육활동에 대한 대학생이 된 수료생의 평가. 한국과학교육학회지, 28(1), 100-110.
- 윤진 (2001). 과학 관련 진로 선택 요인들의 분석. 서울대학교 대학원. 교육학박사 학위논문.
- 이기순, 최경희, 이현주 (2011). 과학고등학교 학생들의 초등학교부터 고등학교까지의 진로발달 과정. 한국과학교육학회지, 31(1), 46-60.
- 장경애 (2004). 과학자들의 진로선택과정에서 드러난 부각요인. 한국과학교육학회지, 24(6), 1131-1142.
- 한기순, 안도희, 김명숙, 양태연 (2008). 과학영재 교육원 효과성에 관한 진단과 분석. 아시아교육연구, 9(4), 271-295.
- 한기순, 양태연 (2007). 최근 국내 영재교육 연구의 흐름: 2000-2006년도 연구물 분석. 영재교육연구, 17(2), 388-364.
- Barrington, B. L., & Hendricks, B. (1988). Attitude toward science and science knowledge of intellectually gifted and average students in third, seventh, and eleventh grades. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 28, 679-687.
- Hertzog, N. B. (2003). Impact of gifted programs from the students' perspective. Gifted Child Quarterly, 47, 131-143. https://doi.org/10.1177/001698620304700204
- Oliver, W. H., Pettus, W. C., & Hedin, B. A. (1990). Three studies of factors affecting the attitudes of blacks and females toward the pursuit of science and science-related careers. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27, 289-314. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660270403
- Stake, J. E. & Mares, K. R. (2001). Science enrichment programs for gifted high school girls and boys: Predictors of program impact on science confidence and motivation. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 38, 1065-1088. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10001
- Tolbert, E. L. (1980). Counseling for career development (2nd ed.). Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- Woolnough, B. E. (1994). Factors affecting students'choice of science and engineering. International Journal of Science Education, 16, 959-676.
- Woolnough, B. E., Guo, Y., Leite, M., Almeida, M., Ryu, T., Wang., Z., & Young, D. (1999). Factors affecting student choice of career in science and engineering: Parallel studies in Australia, Canada, China, England, Japan, and Portugal. Research in Science and Technological Education, 15(1), 105-121.
- Wang, J., & Staver, J. (2001). Examining relationships between factors of science education and student career aspiration. The Journal of Education Research, 94, 312-319. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220670109598767
- Young, D., Fraser, B., & Woolnough, B. (1997). Factors affecting student career choice in science: An Australian study of rural and urban schools. Research in Science Education, 27, 195-214. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02461316