- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Secondary Teachers' Perceptions and Needs Analysis on Integrative STEM Education
통합 STEM 교육에 대한 중등 교사의 인식과 요구
- Lee, Hyo-Nyong (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Son, Dong-Il (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Kwon, Hyuk-Soo (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Kyung-Suk (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Han, In-Ki (Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jung, Hyun-Il (Korea National University of Education) ;
- Lee, Seong-Soo (Soongsil University) ;
- Oh, Hee-Jin (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Nam, Jung-Chul (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Oh, Young-Jai (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Phang, Seong-Hye (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Seo, Bo-Hyun (Kyungpook National University)
- 이효녕 (경북대학교) ;
- 손동일 (경북대학교) ;
- 권혁수 (경북대학교) ;
- 박경숙 (경북대학교) ;
- 한인기 (경상대학교) ;
- 정현일 (한국교원대학교) ;
- 이성수 (숭실대학교) ;
- 오희진 (경북대학교) ;
- 남정철 (경북대학교) ;
- 오영재 (경북대학교) ;
- 방성혜 (경북대학교) ;
- 서보현 (경북대학교)
- Received : 2011.07.04
- Accepted : 2012.01.30
- Published : 2012.02.29
Educational communities around the world have concentrated on integrative efforts among science, technology, engineering and mathematics (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics: STEM) subjects. Korea has focused on integrative education among STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics) school subjects to raise talented human resources in the fields of science and technology. The purpose of this study was to analyze secondary school science, technology, and mathematics teacher's perceptions and needs toward integrated education and integrative STEM education. A total of 251 secondary school teachers from all areas of the country who have taught science, mathematics, and technology were surveyed by using a self-reported instrument. The findings were as follows: First, teachers have used little integrated education in their classes due to insufficient time in the actual preparation of the integrated education and the lack of expertise, teaching experience, and teaching-learning materials for the integrated education, while they have positive thoughts about the need of integrated education. Second, they presented several needs to facilitate the integrated education: development of a variety of integrated programs, school administrative and financial support, and in-service teachers' training. Third, overall perception toward integrated STEM education was not sufficient, but most teachers perceived the need toward integrated STEM education due to students' development in their creativity, thinking skills, and adaptability. Fourth, they perceived that it was imperative to develop the various integrated STEM education programs, distribute the materials, and help STEM teachers' understanding toward integrated STEM education. Fifth, they perceived that the most relevant method to integrate STEM subjects was the problem solving approach. In addition, they appreciate that the integrated STEM education is highly efficient in not only developing integrated problem solving skills and STEM related literacy, but also in positively impacting the rise of talented human resources in the fields of science and technology. In order to increase the awareness of STEM-related secondary school teachers and vitalize the integrated STEM education, it is necessary to develop and spread a variety of programs, effective teaching and learning materials, and teachers' training programs.
Integrated education;Integrated STEM education;Science education;Technology education;Mathematics education
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 교육과학기술부(2008). 수학.과학 교육 경쟁력 강화를 위한 수학.과학 교육 내실화 방안 연구. 연구보고서.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science.(1993). Benchmarks for science literacy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- America COMPETES Act. Bill Summary & Status 110th Congress(2007-2008). H.R. 2272.
- Apedoe, X. S., Reynolds, B., Ellefson, M. R., & Schunn, C. D.(2008). Bringing engineering design into high school science classrooms: The heating/cooling unit. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 17, 454-465. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-008-9114-6
- Clark, A. C., & Ernst, J. V.(2007). A model for the integration of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Technology Teacher, 66(4), 24-26.
- Congress of the United States of America.(2009). American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. 2009. 2. 13.
- 한국교육과정평가원(2008). 국제 학업성취도 평가(TIMSS/PISA)에서 나타난 우리나라 중.고등학생의 성취 변화의 특성. 연구보고 RRE 2008-3-1.
- Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology.(2000). Criteria for accrediting engineering programs: Effective for evaluations during the 2000-2001 accreditation cycle. Baltimore, MD: Author.
- 교육과학기술부(2010). 2011년 업무보고. 창의인재와 선진과학기술로 여는 미래 대한민국.
- 김진수(2008). 기술교육의 새로운 통합교육 방법인 STEM 교육의 탐색. 한국기술교육학회지, 7(3), 1-29.
- 문대영(2008). STEM 통합 접근의 사전 공학 프로그램 모형개발. 공학교육연구, 11(2), 90-101.
- 배선아, 금영충(2010). 공업계열 전문계 고등학교 화공 분야의 STEM 교육에 대한 화공교사의 인식과 요구, 대한공업교육학회, 35(1), 44-67.
- 송정범(2010). STEM 통합 교육을 위한 교실 친화적 로봇교육 모형 및 프로그램 개발에 관한 연구. 한국교원대학교 박사학위논문.
- 이미경, 정은영(2004). 학교 과학 교육에서 과학에 대한 태도에 영향을 미치는 요인 조사, 한국과학교육학회지, 24(5), 946-958.
- 신영준, 한선관(2011). 초등학교 교사들의 융합인재교육(STEAM)에 대한 인식 연구, 초등과학교육, 30(4), 514-523.
- 이효녕(2011). STEAM 교육 시행을 위한 미국의 STEM교육 고찰. 과학창의, 161(2), 8-11.
- 이효녕, 오영재, 권혁수, 박경숙, 한인기, 정현일, 이성수, 오희진, 남정철, 손동일, 서보현, 안혜령 (2011). 통합 교육과 통합 STEM 교육에 대한 초등교사의 인식, 교원교육, 27(4), 117-139.
- Doppelt, Y.(2009). Assessing creative thinking in design-based learning. International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 19(1), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10798-006-9008-y
- Doppelt, Y., Mehalik, M., Schunn, C., Silk, E., & Krysinski, D.(2008). Engagement and achievements: A case study of design-based learning in a science context. Journal of Technology Education, 19(2), 22-39.
- Fortus, D., Krajcik, J. S., Dershimer, R. C., Marx, R., & Mamlok-Naaman, R.(2005). Design based science and real-world problem solving. International Journal of Science Education, 27(7), 855-879. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690500038165
- Kuenzi, J. J.(2008). Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Education: Background, federal policy, and legislative action. Congressional Research Service Report for Congress(RL33434).
- Lewis, T.(2005). Creativity-A framework for the design/problem solving discourse in technology education, Journal of Technology Education, 17(1), 35-51.
- Lewis, T.(2006). Design and inquiry: Bases for an accommodation between science and technology education in the curriculum? Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 43(3), 255-281. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20111
- National Academy of Engineering.(2004). The engineering of 2020: Visions of engineering in the new century. Washington, DC: National Academic Press.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.(2000). Principles and standards for school mathematics. Reston, VA: Author.
- Rogers, M. A., Volkmann, M. J., & Abell, S. K.(2007). Science and mathematics: A natural connection. Science and Children, 60-61.
- Sanders, M.(2006). A rationale for new approaches to STEM education and STEM education graduate programs. Paper presented at the 93rd Mississippi Valley Technology Teacher Education Conference, Nashville, TN.
- Sanders, M., Kwon, H., Park, K., & Lee, H.(2011). Integrative STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Education: Contemporary Trends and Issues. 중등교육연구, 59(3), 729-762.
- Student Understanding of Scale: From Additive to Multiplicative Reasoning in the Constriction of Scale Representation by Ordering Objects in a Number Line vol.34, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.4.0335
- The Effects of STEAM Program Using Landslide on High School Students’ Affective Domain vol.36, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2015.36.4.360
- Development and Application of the Scientific Inquiry-based STEAM Education Program about Earthquakes vol.37, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2016.37.7.476