- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Comparative study of Middle School Students' Images and Perceptions of Scientist, Technician and Engineer
과학자, 기술자, 공학자에 대한 중학생들의 이미지와 인식 비교
- Kim, Hyeon-Yeong (Pusan National University) ;
- Park, Soo-Kyeong (Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Young-Min (Pusan National University)
- Received : 2011.08.04
- Accepted : 2012.01.04
- Published : 2012.02.29
The purpose of this study was to analyse middle school students' images and perceptions about scientist, technician and engineer and to compare the images of male students with those of female students. Fralick et al.(2009)'s "Draw a scientist at work and draw an engineer at work" was modified and administered to 110 middle school 3rd grade students (43 male students, 67 female students) from 5 middle schools. They drew the figures at work and took explanation of what the person was doing in a drawing. The results of this study were as follows; First, the representative image of scientist was the man with glasses and lab gown performing the chemical experiment. There were no significant differences between the male students and female students in terms of the scientist images. Second, the representative image of technician was the man who was fixing a car and working with his hands. The technicians were illustrated as working with tools such as wrench, hammer and so on. There were no significant differences between the male students and female students in terms of the technician images. Third, the students involved in this study frequently perceived male engineers as working indoors. But perceptions about performance of engineers were significantly different between male students and female students. A majority of male students recognized that engineers should design, invent and create the products, however many female students perceived the engineers as car mechanics. Fourth, the students perceived differently the scientists' task compared with the technicians', but they had difficulty in distinguishing the scientists' task from the engineers' task.
scientist;technician;engineer;images;perceptions;middle school students
- 교육과학기술부 (2009). 2009 개정 과학과 교육과정, 교육과학기술부 고시 제 2009-41호.
- 국립국어원 (2011). 표준국어대사전.
- 권난주(2005). 초등학생들이 생각하는 과학자 이미지와 과학과 관련된 경험 및 배경 조사. 초등과학교육, 24(1), 59-67.
- 김경순, 신석진, 임희준, 노태희(2008). 중.고등학생들의 과학 및 기술 관련 일하는 장소와 직업에 대한 인식. 한국과학교육학회지, 28(8), 890-900.
- 김성관, 장명덕, 정진우(2002). '과학자와의 만남'프로그램 적용이 초등학생의 과학자에 대한 신체적 이미지에 미치는 효과. 한국과학교육학회지, 22(3), 490-498.
- 김소형(2004). 과학자에 대한 초등학교 일반 학생과 과학 영재반 학생의 인식 조사. 석사학위 논문. 한국교원대학교.
- 김학수, 홍혜현, 박성철(2003). 과학자에 대한 청소년의 인상(이미지). 기술혁신연구, 11(2), 41-65.
- 송진웅 (1993). 교사의 과학자에 대한 이미지와 존경하는 과학자. 한국과학교육학회지, 13(1), 48-55.
- 여상인 (1998). 변형된 DAST와 인터뷰를 이용한 과학자에 대한 이미지와 과학자가 하는 일에 관한 초.중등 학생의 인식 조사. 한국초등과학교육학회지, 17(1), 1-10.
- 이덕성 (2006). 중학생들의 과학자에 대한 인식 연구. 석사학위 논문. 단국대학교.
- 이효녕, 박경숙(2010). 초등학생이 생각하는 과학자와 공학자에 대한 이미지. 실과교육연구, 16(4), 61-82.
- 이혜숙, 최경희, 이재경, 마경희, 이기순(2005). 직업인으로서의 과학기술자 및 여성 과학기술자, 그리고 역할모델에 대한 중.고등학생들의 인식 조사. 한국과학교육학회지, 25(2), 184-196.
- 임성만, 임재근, 최현동, 양일호(2008). 초.중.고 학생과 예비 교사 및 초등 교사가 생각하는 과학자에 대한 이미지 분석. 초등과학교육학회지, 27(1), 1-8.
- 전화영, 여상인, 우규환(2002). 과학자 읽기 자료의 도입이 과학자의 이미지와 과학에 대한 태도에 미치는 효과-성차를 중심으로. 한국과학교육학회지, 22(1), 22-31.
- 진미석, 윤형한(2002). 이공계 기피현상과 고등학생 진로지도. 한국진로교육학회지, 15(2), 1-21.
- 한경희(2010). 세상이 변화시킨 공학, 공학이 변화 시킨 세계. 공학교육, 17(3), 16-18.
- Barman, C. R. (1997). Students' views of scientists and science: Results from a national study. Science and Children, 35, 18-24.
- Barman, C. R. (1999). Completing the study : High school students' views of scientists and science. Science and Children, 36, 16-21.
- Dawson, C. (1994). Science teaching in the secondary school. Melbourne: Longman.
- Finson, K. D., Beaver, J. B. & Cramond, B. L.(1995). Development and field test of checklist for the draw-a-scientist test. School Science and Mathematics, 95, 195-205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.1995.tb15762.x
- Fort, D. C. & Varney, H. L. (1989). How students see scientists: Mostly male, mostly white, and mostly benevolent. Science Education, 14, 9-10.
- Fralick, B., Kearn, J., Thompson, S. & Lyons, J. (2009). How middle schoolers draw engineers and scientists. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 18, 60-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-008-9133-3
- Fung Y. Y. H. (2002). A comparative study of primary and secondary school students' images of scientist. Research in Science and Technological Education, 20, 199-213. https://doi.org/10.1080/0263514022000030453
- Knight, M. & Cunningham, C. M. (2004). Draw an engineer test(DAET): development of a tool to investigate students'ideas about engineers and engineering. In: Proceedings of the 2004 ASEE annual conference and exposition, Salt Lake City, Utah, June 20-23, 2004.
- Koren, P. & Bar, V. (2009). Pupil's image of 'the Scientist'among two communities in Israel: A comparative study. International Journal of Science Education, 31, 2485-2509. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690802449375
- Lyons, J. & Thomson, S. (2006). Investigating the long-term impact of an engineering-based GK-12 program on students' perceptions of engineering. In: Proceedings of the 2006 ASEE annual conference and exposition, Chicago, Illinois, June 18-21, 2006.
- Scherz, Z. & Oren, M. (2006). How to change students'images of science and technology. Science Education, 90, 965-985. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20159
- Yap, C., Ebert, C. & Lyons, J. (2003). Assessing students' perception of the engineering profession. Paper presented at the South Carolina educators for the practical use of research annual conference, Columbia SC, February 28, 2003.
- Perceptions and Image Analysis of Elementary Students on Scientists studying Small Organisms vol.33, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2014.33.4.655
- A Study on Elementary Students' Perceptions of Science, Engineering, and Technology and on the Images of Scientists, Engineers, and Technicians vol.34, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.8.0719
- The Change of Elementary Science Gifted Students’ Perception about Engineers and Engineering Practices through Science and Engineering Integrated (SEI) Lessons vol.39, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2018.39.3.275