- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Epistemological Views of Middle School Students on Scientific Inquiry
중학생들의 과학 탐구에 대한 인식론적 견해
- Han, Su-Jin (Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Sook-Yeong (Seoul National University) ;
- Noh, Tae-Hee (Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.08.12
- Accepted : 2012.01.10
- Published : 2012.02.29
In this study, epistemological views of middle school students on scientific inquiry were investigated. The Views of Scientific Inquiry Questionnaire was administered to 141 9th graders. The questionnaire consists of five open-ended items concerning the contexts of scientific investigation, the methods of scientific investigation, the interpretation of data, and the data and evidence. Analyses of the results indicated that their epistemological understanding of scientific inquiry were not adequate on the whole. Although the students suggested a variety of factors influencing scientists' decisions on the questions and the methods of investigation, many of the factors were minor. Only a few students specifically described the activities of scientists and the constituents of "scientific" activity, and students did not demonstrate adequate understanding of experimentation in science and multiple scientific methods. Moreover, the percentage of students who possessed the informed view that data can be variously interpreted was found to be low. The students also did not understand the distinctions between data and evidence. Educational implications are discussed.
epistemology;scientific inquiry;middle school student
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 교육부 (1998). 과학과 교육과정. 서울: 교육부.
- 곽대오, 김영수, 성민웅 (2002). 과학의 본성에 대한 고등학생들의 견해. 한국생물교육학회지, 30(1), 1-12.
- 김준예, 전은경, 백성혜 (2007). 과학 교과서 및 과학 교사, 고등학생들의 과학의 본성에 대한 관점 분석. 한국과학교육학회지, 27(9), 809-817.
- 노태희, 김희백, 김영희, 성을선, 홍정림 (2003). 고등학교 과학 이수 과정에서 학생들의 과학.기술과 사회의 관계에 대한 견해 변화. 한국과학교육학회지, 26(6), 650-659.
- 박효순, 조희형 (2003). 중학교 2학년 과학 교과서의 탐구 영역 분석. 한국과학교육학회지, 23(3), 239-245.
- 양일호, 정진우, 김영신, 김민경, 조현준 (2006). 중등학교 과학 실험 수업에 대한 실험 목적.상호 작용.탐구 과정의 분석. 한국지구과학학회지, 27(5), 509-520.
- 유모경, 조희형 (2003). 중학교 1학년 과학 교과서의 탐구 영역 분석. 한국과학교육학회지, 23(3), 494-504.
- 윤진, 박승재, 명전옥 (2006). 과학 진로와 관련된 초중등 학생들의 인식 조사. 한국과학교육학회지, 26(6), 675-690.
- Abd-El-Khalick, F., & Akerson, V. L. (2004). Learning as conceptual change: factors mediating the development of preservice elementary teachers' views of nature of science. Science Education, 88(5), 785-810. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10143
- Bybee, R. W. (2004). Scientific inquiry and science teaching. In Flick, L. B., & Lederman, N. G. (Eds.), Scientific inquiry and nature of science: Implications for teaching, learning, and teacher education (pp. 1-14). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Hodson, D. (2008). Towards scientific literacy: A teachers' guide to the history, philosophy and sociology of science. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Khishfe, R., & Abd-El-Khalick, F. (2002). Influence of explicit and reflective versus implicit inquiry-oriented instruction on sixth graders' views of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(7), 551-578. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10036
- Lederman, N. G. (2007). Nature of science: Past, present, and future. In Abell, S. K., & Lederman, N. G. (Eds.), Handbook of research on science education (Volume II) (pp. 831-879). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Lederman, N. (2008, June 9). How to assess nature of science and scientific inquiry [Online]. Available: http://www.projectican.com/assessment.html
- Lederman, N. G., Abd-El-Khalick, F., Bell, R. L., & Schwartz, R. S. (2002). Views of nature of science questionnaire (VNOS): Toward valid and meaningful assessment of learners' conceptions of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(6), 497-521. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10034
- National Research Council (1996). National science education standards. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- National Research Council (2000). Inquiry and the national science education standards. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Osborne, J., Collins, S., Ratcliffe, M., Millar, R., & Duschl, R. (2003). What "Ideas-about- Science"should be taught in school science? a delphi study of the expert community. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 40(7), 692-720. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10105
- Park, J. (2007). A study of new models for scientific inquiry activity through understanding the nature of science (NOS): - A proposal for a synthetic view of the NOS -. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 27(2), 153-167.
- Roberts, D. A. (2007). Scientific literacy/science literacy. In Abell, S. K., & Lederman, N. G. (Eds.), Handbook of research on science education (Volume II) (pp. 729-780). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Schwartz, R. S., Lederman, N. G., & Thompson, R. (2001). Grade nine students' views of nature of science and scientific inquiry: The effects of an inquiry-enthusiast's approach to teaching science as inquiry. Paper presented at the international conference of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, St. Louis, MO.
- Schwartz, R., & Lederman, N. (2008). What scientists say: Scientists' views of nature of science and relation to science context. International Journal of Science Education, 30(6), 727-771. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690701225801
- Schwartz, R. S., Lederman, N. G., & Lederman, J. S.(2008). An instrument to assess views of scientific inquiry: The VOSI questionnaire. Paper presented at the international conference of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching, Baltimore, MD.
- Watson, J. R., Swain, J. R. L., & McRobbie, C. (2004). Students' discussions in practical scientific inquiries. International Journal of Science Education, 26(1), 25-45. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069032000072764
- Wong, S. L., & Hodson, D. (2009). From the horse's mouth: What scientists say about scientific investigation and scientific knowledge. Science Education, 93(1), 109-130. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20290
- Wong, S. L., & Hodson, D. (2010). From the horse's mouth: What scientists say about science as a social practice. International Journal of Science Education, 32(11), 1431-1463. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690903104465
- Instructional Influences of Explicit and Reflective Scientific Inquiry Learning Program about Nature of Scientific Inquiry vol.57, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2013.57.1.115
- Analysis of Inquiry Activities in High School Chemistry II Textbooks based on the 2009 Revised Science Curriculum: Focus on 8 Science Practices vol.60, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2016.60.1.59