- Volume 31 Issue 2
In this paper, we propose an enhanced algorithm for affine projection algorithms which have been proposed to speed up the convergence of the conventional NLMS algorithm. Since affine projection (AP) or pseudo AP algorithms are based on the delayed input vector and error vector, they are complicated and not suitable for applying methods developed for the LMS-type algorithms which are based on the scalar error signal. We devised a variable step size algorithm for pseudo AP using the fact that pseudo AP algorithms are updated using the scalar error and that the error signal is getting orthogonal to the input signal. We carried out a performance comparison of the proposed algorithm with other pseudo AP algorithms using a system identification model. It is shown that the proposed algorithm presents good convergence characteristics under both stationary and non-stationary environments despites its low complexity.
Affine projection algorithm;Pseudo affine projection algorithm;Variable step-size
- S. Haykin, Adaptive Filter Theory, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 2002.
- A. H. Sayed, Fundamentals of Adaptive Filtering, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2003.
- K. Ozeki and T. Umeda, "An adaptive filtering algorithm using an orthogonal projection to an affine subspace and its properties," Electron. Commun. Jpn., vol 67-A, no. 5, pp. 19-27, 1984.
- S. L. Gay and S. Tavathia, "The fast affine projection algorithm," IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech Signal Processing, vol. 5, pp. 3023-3026, 1995.
- F. Albu and H. K. Kwan, "Fast block exact Gauss-Seidel pseudo affine projection algorithm," Electron. Lett., vol. 40, no. 22, pp. 1451-1453, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20046320
- J. Lee, Y. C. Park and D. H.Youn, "Robust pseudo affine projection algorithm with variable step-size," Electron. Lett., vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 250-251, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20083379
- H. C. Shin, A. H. Sayed, and W. J. Song, "Variable step-Size NLMS and affine projection algorithms," IEEE Signal Processing Lett., vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 132-135, Feb. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2003.821722
- S. J. Ban, C. W. Lee, and S. W. Kim "Adaptive regularization parameter for pseudo affine projection algorithm," IEEE Signal Processing Lett., vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 382-385, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2009.2016479
- Y. S. Choi, H. C. Shin, and W. J. Song, "Adaptive regularization matrix for affine projection algorithm," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst., vol. 54, no. 12, pp. 1087-1091, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2007.906931
- R. H. Kwong and E. W. Johnston, "A variable step size LMS algorithm," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1633-1642, Jul. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/78.143435