- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Fatty Acid Profiles and Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase Gene Expression in Longissimus dorsi Muscle of Growing Lambs Influenced by Addition of Tea Saponins and Soybean Oil
- Mao, H.L. (Institute of Dairy Science, Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Molecular Animal Nutrition, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wang, J.K. (Institute of Dairy Science, Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Molecular Animal Nutrition, Zhejiang University) ;
- Lin, J. (Institute of Dairy Science, Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Molecular Animal Nutrition, Zhejiang University) ;
- Liu, J.X. (Institute of Dairy Science, Ministry of Education Key Laboratory of Molecular Animal Nutrition, Zhejiang University)
- Received : 2011.10.24
- Accepted : 2012.01.09
- Published : 2012.05.01
This study was conducted to determine the effects of dietary addition of tea saponins (TS) and soybean oil (SO) on fatty acid profile and gene expression of stearoyl-CoA desaturase (SCD) in longissimus dorsi (LD) muscle of growing lambs. Thirty-two Huzhou lambs were assigned to four dietary treatments in a
- Boles, J. A., R. W. Kott, P. G. Hatfield, J. W. Bergman and C. R. Flynn. 2005. Supplemental safflower oil affects the fatty acid profile, including conjugated linoleic acid, of lamb. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2175-2181.
- Daniel, Z. C. T. R., R. J. Wynn, A. M. Salter and P. J. Buttery. 2004. Differing effects of forage and concentrate diets on the oleic acid and conjugated linoleic acid content of sheep tissues: The role of stearoyl-CoA desaturase. J. Anim. Sci. 82: 747-758.
- Garcia, M. R., M. Amstalden, C. D. Morrison, D. H. Keisler and G. L. Williams. 2003. Age at puberty, total fat and conjugated linoleic acid content of carcass, and circulating metabolic hormones in beef heifers fed a diet high in linoleic acid beginning at four months of age. J. Anim. Sci. 81:261-268.
- Hristov, A. N., L. R. Kennington, M. A. McGuire and C. W. Hunt. 2005. Effect of diets containing linoleic acid- or oleic acid-rich oils on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestibility, and performance and fatty acid composition of adipose and muscle tissues of finishing cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 83:1312-1321.
- Ivan, M., P. S. Mir, K. M. Koenig, L. M. Rode, L. Neill, T. Entz and Z. Mir. 2001. Effects of dietary sunflower seed oil on rumen protozoa population and tissue concentration of conjugated linoleic acid in sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 41:215-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(01)00220-6
- Kepler, C. R. and S. B. Tove. 1967. Biohydrogenation of unsaturated fatty acids. J. Biol. Chem. 242:5686-5692.
- Kim, S. C., A. T. Adesogan, L. Badinga and C. R. Staples. 2007. Effects of dietary n-6:n-3 fatty acid ratio on feed intake, digestibility, and fatty acid profiles of ruminal contents, liver, and muscle of growing lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:706-716.
- Kott, R. W., P. G. Hatfield, J. W. Bergman, C. R. Flynn, H. Van Wagoner and J. A. Boles. 2003. Feedlot performance, carcass composition, and muscle and fat CLA concentrations of lambs fed diets supplemented with safflower seeds. Small Rumin. Res. 49:11-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00052-X
- MacDonald, H. B. 2000. Conjugated linoleic acid and disease prevention: A review of current knowledge. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 19:111S-1118S. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718082
- Madron, M. S., D. G. Peterson, D. A. Dwyer, B. A. Corl, L. H. Baumguard, D. H. Beerman and D. E. Bauman. 2002. Effect of extruded full-fat soybeans on conjugated linoleic acid content of intramuscular, intermuscular, and subcutaneous fat in beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1135-1143.
- Mao, H. L., J. K. Wang, Y. Y. Zhou and J. X. Liu. 2010. Effect of addition of tea saponins and soybean oil on methane production, fermentation and microbial population in the rumen of growing lambs. Livest. Sci. 129:56-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.12.011
- Mir, Z., L. A. Goonewardene, E. Okine, S. Jaegar and H. D. Scheer. 1999. Effect of feeding canola oil on constituents, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and long chain fatty acids in goat milk. Small Rumin. Res. 33:137-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00016-4
- Mir, Z., M. L. Rushfeldt, P. S. Mir, L. J. Paterson and R. J. Weselake. 2000. Effect of dietary supplementation with either conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) or linoleic acid rich oil on the CLA content of lamb tissues. Small Rumin. Res. 36:25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00087-5
- Mosley, E. E., B. Shafii, P. J. Moate and M. A. McGuire. 2006. Cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid is synthesized directly from vaccenic acid in lactating dairy cattle. J. Nutr. 136:570-575.
- Ntambi, J. M. 1999. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturases (SCD) by polyunsaturated fatty acids and cholesterol. J. Food Sci. 59:1262-1266.
- Ntambi, J. M. and M. Miyazaki. 2004. Regulation of stearoyl-CoA desaturases and role in metabolism. Prog. Lipid Res. 43:91-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-7827(03)00039-0
- Or-Rashid, M. M., N. E. Odongo and B. W. McBride. 2007. Fatty acid composition of ruminal bacteria and protozoa, with emphasis on conjugated linoleic acid, vaccenic acid, and odd-chain and branched-chain fatty acids. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1228-1234. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-385
- Park, P. W. and R. E. Goins. 1994. In situ preparation of fatty acid methyl esters for analysis of fatty acid composition in food. J. Food Sci. 59:1262-1266. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb14691.x
- Pavan, E. and S. K. Duckett. 2007. Corn oil supplementation to steers grazing endophyte-free tall fescue. II. Effects on longissimus muscle and subcutaneous adipose fatty acid composition and stearoyl-CoA desaturase activity and expression. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1731-1740. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-732
- Peterson, D. G., J. A. Kelsey and D. E. Bauman. 2002. Analysis of variation in cis-9, trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in milk fat of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 85:2164-2172. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74295-1
- Rule, D. C. and S. B. Smith. 1995. Fatty acid composition of muscle and adipose tissue of meat animals. In: The Biology of Fat in Meat Animals, Current Advances (Ed. S. B. Smith and D. R. Smith). Am. Soc. Anim. Sci., Champaign, IL, USA, pp. 144-165.
- Santos-Silva, J., I. A. Mendes, P. V. Portugal and R. J. B. Bessa. 2004. Effect of particle size and soybean oil supplementation on growth performance, carcass and meat quality and fatty acid composition of intramuscular lipids of lambs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 90:79-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.02.013
- SAS, Version 8.0. 1999. SAS Inst Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
- Wood, J. D., M. Enster, A. V. Fisher, G. R. Nute, R. I. Richardson and P. R. Shear. 1999. Manipulating meat quality and composition. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 58:363-370. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665199000488
- Yanez-Ruiz, D. R., S. Williams and C. J. Newbold. 2007. The effect of absence of protozoa on rumen biohydrogenation and the fatty acid composition of lamb muscle. Br. J. Nutr. 97:938. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114507675187
- Ye, J., C. Wang, H. F. Wang, H. Y. Liu, Y. M. Wang, B. Chen and J. X. Liu. 2010. Effects of palletizing and supplementary methionine, lysine and choline on the performance of periparturient dairy cows. Acta Agric. Scand. A Anim. Sci. 60: 230-238.
- Zheng, H. C., J. X. Liu, J. H. Yao, Q. Yuan, H. W. Ye, J. A. Ye and Y. M. Wu. 2005. Effects of dietary sources of vegetable oils on performance of high-yielding lactating cows and conjugated linoleic acids in milk. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2037-2042. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72880-0
- Manipulation of Omega-3 PUFAs in Lamb: Phenotypic and Genotypic Views vol.14, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/1541-4337.12131