- Volume 25 Issue 6
In order to develop specific genetic markers and determine the genetic diversity of Bangladeshi native cattle (Pabna, Red Chittagong) and exotic breeds (Sahiwal), randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis was performed using 12 primers. Genomic DNA was extracted from 20 cattle (local and exotic) blood samples and extracted DNA was observed by gel electrophoresis. Among the random primers three were matched and found to be polymorphic. Genetic relations between cattle's were determined by RAPD polymorphisms from a total of 66.67%. Statistical analysis of the data, estimating the genetic distances between cattle and sketching the cluster trees were estimated by using MEGA 5.05 software. Comparatively highest genetic distance (0.834) was found between RCC-82 and SL-623. The lowest genetic distance (0.031) was observed between M-1222 and M-5730. The genetic diversity of Red Chittagong and Sahiwal cattle was relatively higher for a prescribed breed. Adequate diversity in performance and adaptability can be exploited from the study results for actual improvement accruing to conservation and development of indigenous cattle resources.
- Bhuiyan, A. K. F. H. 1993. Livestock research database for Bangladesh. Funded by USAID. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Bruford, M. W., D. G. Bradley and G. Luikart. 2003. DNA markers reveal the complexity of livestock domestication. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4(11):900-910. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrg1203
- Buitcamp, J., H. Zischler, J. T. Epplen and H. Geldermann. 1991. DNA fingerprinting in cattle using oligonucleotide probe. Anim. Genet. 22:137.
- Choy, Y. H., S. J. Oh and J. O. Kang. 2001. Application of RAPD methods in meat for beef breed identification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1655-1658. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.1655
- Cornuet, J. M., S. Piry, G. Luikart, A. Estoup and M. Sloignac. 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153: 1989-2000.
- Bo, L. D., M. Polli, M. Longeri, G. Cerotti, C. Looft, A. Barre-Dirie, G. Dolf and M. Zanotti. 2001. Genetic diversity among some cattle breeds in the Alpine area. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:317-325. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.2001.00306.x
- Garrigan, D., P. C. Marsh and T. E. Dowling. 2002. Long-term effective population size of three endangered Colorado River fishes. Anim. Conserv. 5:95-102. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1367943002002135
- Glowatzki-Mullis, C., G. Gaillard, G. Wigger and R. Fries. 1995. Microsatellite based on parentage control in cattle. Anim. Genet. 26:7-12.
- Gwakisa, P. S., S. J. Kemp and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of Zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA markers. Anim. Genet. 25:89-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1994.tb00408.x
- Hassen, F., E. Bekele, W. Ayalew and T. Dessie. 2007. Genetic variability of five Indigenous Ethiopian cattle breeds using RAPD markers. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 6:2274-2279.
- Kantanen, J., J. Vilkki, K. Elo and A. Maki-Tanila. 1995. Random amplified polymorphic DNA in cattle and sheep: application for detecting genetic variation. Anim. Genet. 26:315-320.
- Kemp, S. J. and A. J. Teale. 1994. Characterization of Zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA markers. Anim. Genet. 25:89-94. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.1994.tb00408.x
- Mannen, H. and S. Tsuji. 1993. DNA fingerprinting for individual identification and parentage test in Japanese Black cattle using five different mini-and one microsatellite probes. J. Anim. Genet. 21:62-68. https://doi.org/10.5924/abgri1993.21.62
- Marle-Koster, E. and L. H. Van-Nel. 2003. Genetic markers and their application in livestock breeding in South Africa. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 33:1-10.
- Mason, I. L. 1996. A world dictionary of livestock breeds, types and varieties. Fourth Edition. C.A.B International, p. 273.
- Mbulu, D. N. and O. Hannotte. 2005. Comparative genetic analysis of molecular diversity of African cattle. In: The Role of Biotechnology. Tulin, Italy.
- Mufti, M. M. R., M. P. Mostari, G. K. Deb, K. Nahar and K. S. Huque. 2009. Genetic diversity of red Chittagong cattle using Randomly Amplified Polymorphic DNA markers. American Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences 4:1-5. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajavsp.2009.1.5
- Nei, M. and W. H. Li. 1979. Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonucleases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76:5269-5273. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.76.10.5269
- Roe, B. A., J. Crabtree and A. Khan. 1996. DNA isolation and sequencing: Essential techniques series, D. Rickwood, Ed., J. Wiley and Sons New York.
- Shamsuddin, M., W. J. Goodger, M. S. Hossein, T. Azizunnesa, Bennett and T. Nordlund. 2006. A survey to identify economic opportunities for smallholder dairy farms in Bangladesh. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 38:131-140. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-006-4274-y
- Sharma, M., S. Singh, A. Kushwah and B. C. Sarkhel. 2009. Molecular characterization of Malvi and Sahiwal breed of cattle by RAPD-PCR. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 79:44-46.
- Simon, L., S. Shyamalamma and P. Narayanaswamy. 2007. Morphological and molecular analysis of Genetic diversity in Jackfruit. J. Hortic. Sci. Biotechnol. 82:764-768.
- Talle, S. B., W. S. Chenyabuga, E. Fimland, O. Syrstad, T. Meuwissen and H. Klungland. 2005. Use of DNA technologies for the conservation of animal genetic resources. Acta Agric. Scand. Section A-Animal. 55:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/09064700510009315
- Williams, J. G. K., A. R. Kubelik, K. J. Livak, J. A. Rafalski and S. V. Tingey. 1990. DNA polymorphisms amplified by arbitrary primers are useful as genetic markers. Nucleic. Acids Res. 18:6531-6535. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/18.22.6531