- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Sodium Nitrate and Nitrate Reducing Bacteria on In vitro Methane Production and Fermentation with Buffalo Rumen Liquor
- Sakthivel, Pillanatham Civalingam (Rumen Microbiology Laboratory, Animal Nutrition Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Kamra, Devki Nandan (Rumen Microbiology Laboratory, Animal Nutrition Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Agarwal, Neeta (Rumen Microbiology Laboratory, Animal Nutrition Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute) ;
- Chaudhary, Chandra (Rumen Microbiology Laboratory, Animal Nutrition Division, Indian Veterinary Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.10.21
- Accepted : 2012.01.30
- Published : 2012.06.01
Nitrate can serve as a terminal electron acceptor in place of carbon dioxide and inhibit methane emission in the rumen and nitrate reducing bacteria might help enhance the reduction of nitrate/nitrite, which depends on the type of feed offered to animals. In this study the effects of three levels of sodium nitrate (0, 5, 10 mM) on fermentation of three diets varying in their wheat straw to concentrate ratio (700:300, low concentrate, LC; 500:500, medium concentrate, MC and 300:700, high concentrate, HC diet) were investigated in vitro using buffalo rumen liquor as inoculum. Nitrate reducing bacteria, isolated from the rumen of buffalo were tested as a probiotic to study if it could help in enhancing methane inhibition in vitro. Inclusion of sodium nitrate at 5 or 10 mM reduced (p<0.01) methane production (9.56, 7.93 vs. 21.76 ml/g DM; 12.20, 10.42 vs. 25.76 ml/g DM; 15.49, 12.33 vs. 26.86 ml/g DM) in LC, MC and HC diets, respectively. Inclusion of nitrate at both 5 and 10 mM also reduced (p<0.01) gas production in all the diets, but in vitro true digestibility (IVTD) of feed reduced (p<0.05) only in LC and MC diets. In the medium at 10 mM sodium nitrate level, there was 0.76 to 1.18 mM of residual nitrate and nitrite (p<0.01) also accumulated. In an attempt to eliminate residual nitrate and nitrite in the medium, the nitrate reducing bacteria were isolated from buffalo adapted to nitrate feeding and introduced individually (3 ml containing 1.2 to
In vitro Gas Production;Methane;Nitrite;Nitrate Reducing Bacteria;Buffalo
- Agarwal, N., D. N. Kamra, P. N. Chatterjee, R. Kumar and L. C. Chaudhary. 2008. In vitro methanogenesis, microbial profile and fermentation of green forages with buffalo rumen liquor as influenced by 2-bromoethanesulphonic acid. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:818-823. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70336
- Asanuma, N., M. Iwamoto, M. Kawato and T. Hino. 2002. Numbers of nitrate reducing bacteria in the rumen as estimated by competitive polymerase chain reaction. Anim. Sci. J. 73: 199-205. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1344-3941.2002.00028.x
- Barker, S. B. and W. H. Summerson. 1941. The colorimetric determination of lactic acid in biological materials. J. Biol. Chem. 138:535.
- Beauchemin, K. A., M. Kreuzer, F. O'Mara and T. A. McAllister. 2008. Nutritional management for enteric methane abatement: a review. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 48:21-27. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA07199
- Burrows, G. E., G. W. Horn, R. W. McNew, L. I. Croy, R. D. Keeton and J. Kyle. 1987. The prophylactic effect of corn supplementation on experimental nitrate intoxication in cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 64:1682-1689.
- Cortas, N. K. and N. W. Wakid. 1990. Determination of inorganic nitrate in serum and urine by kinetic cadmium reduction method. Clin. Chem. 36:1440-1443.
- Dawson, K. A. and M. J. Allison. 1988. Digestive disorders and nutritional toxicity. In: The Rumen Microbial Eco-system (Ed. P. N. Hobson), pp. 445-459. Elsevier Applied Science, London (UK) and New York (NY, USA).
- Hungate, R. E. 1969. A roll tube method for cultivation of strict anaerobes, In: Methods in Microbiology (Ed. I. R. Norris and E. W. Robons). 3:117-132.
- Iwamoto, M., N. Asanuma and T. Hino. 1999. Effects of nitrate combined with fumarate on methanogenesis, fermentation and cellulose digestion by mixed ruminal microbes in in vitro. Anim. Sci. J. 70:471-478.
- Iwamoto, M., N. Asanuma and T. Hino. 2002. Ability of Selenomonas ruminantium, Veillonella parvula and Wolinella succinogenes to reduce nitrate and nitrite with special reference to the suppression of ruminal methanogenesis. Anaerobe 8:209-215. https://doi.org/10.1006/anae.2002.0428
- Iwamoto, M., N. Asanuma and T. Hino. 2001. Effects of pH and electron donors on nitrate and nitrite reduction in ruminal microbiota. Anim. Sci. J. 72:117-125.
- Johnson, K. A. and D. E. Johnson. 1995. Methane emission from cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2483-2492.
- Kobayashi, Y. 2010. Abatement of methane production from ruminants: Trends in the manipulation of rumen fermentation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:410-416. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.r.01
- Lin, M., D. M. Schaefer, W. S. Guo, L. P. Ren and Q. X. Meng. 2011. Comparisons of in vitro nitrate reduction, methanogenesis, and fermentation acid profile among rumen bacterial, protozoal and fungal fractions. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:471-478. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10288
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2004. Recent advances in the in vitro gas method for evaluation of nutritional quality of feed resources in assessing quality and safety of animal feeds FAO Animal Production and Health Paper 160. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- McAllister, T. A., E. K. Okine, G. W. Mathison and K. J. Cheng. 1996. Dietary, environmental and microbiological aspects of methane production in ruminants. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 76:231-243. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas96-035
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Dev. 28:7-55.
- Mir, S. A. 2008. A rapid technique for determination of nitrate and nitric acid by acid reduction and diazotization at elevated temperature. Anal. Chim. Acta 620:183-189. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2008.05.038
- Nakamura, Y., J. Yoshida, R. Nakamura and H. Horie. 1975. Nitrate metabolism of microorganisms in the rumen of sheep fed high nitrate forages. Japan J. Zootech. Sci. 47:63-67.
- Quinn, P. J., M. E. Carter, B. K. Markey and G. R. Carter. 2001. Clinical veterinary microbiology, MPG books Ltd, Bodmin, Cornwall, Great Britain.
- Sar, C., B. Mwenya, B. Pen, K. Takaura, R. Morikawa, A. Tsujimoto, N. Isogai, Y. Asakura, I. Shinzato, Y. Toride and J. Takahashi. 2006. Effect of Escherichia coli W3110 or Escherichia coli nar-Ptac on methane emission and nitrate toxicity in nitrate treated sheep. Int. Congr. Ser. 1293:193-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ics.2006.03.015
Sar, C., B. Santoso, B. Mwenya, Y. Gamo, T. Kobayashi, R. Morikawa, K. Kimura, H. Mizukoshi and J. Takahashi. 2004. Manipulation of rumen methanogenesis by the combination of nitrate with
$\beta$1-4 galacto-oligosaccharides or nisin in sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 115:129-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.01.006
- SPSS, 2002. SPSS for Windows, Network version 11.5.1., SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Takahashi, J. 2011. Some prophylactic options to mitigate methane emission from animal agriculture in Japan. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 24:285-294. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.r.03
- Takahashi, J. and B. A. Young. 1991. Prophylactic effect of L-cysteine on nitrate-induced alteration in respiratory exchange and metabolic rate in sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 35:105-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(91)90103-Y
- Van Soest, P. J. and J. B. Robertson. 1988. A laboratory manual for animal science. Vol 612, Cornell University, USA.
- Weatherburn, M. W. 1967. Estimation of ammonia nitrogen by colorimetric method. Anal. Chem. 39:971-974. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60252a045
- Wright, A. D. G. and C. Pimm. 2003. Improved strategy for presumptive identification of methanogens using 16S riboprinting. J. Microbiol. Methods 55:337-349. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7012(03)00169-6
- Yoshii, T., N. Asanuma and T. Hino. 2005. Effect of ethanol on nitrate and nitrite reduction and methanogenesis in the ruminal microbiota. Anim. Sci. J. 76:37-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2005.00235.x
- 外源添加产乙酸菌和酿酒酵母发酵物对瘤ƒƒ发酵特性及产乙酸菌菌群结构的影响 vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.B1500013
- Dose-response effect of nitrate on hydrogen distribution between rumen fermentation end products: an in vitro approach vol.56, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN15526
- Nitrate and Inhibition of Ruminal Methanogenesis: Microbial Ecology, Obstacles, and Opportunities for Lowering Methane Emissions from Ruminant Livestock vol.7, pp.1664-302X, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00132
- Effect of feeding of blend of essential oils on methane production, growth, and nutrient utilization in growing buffaloes vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0508