- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Dietary Carob Pods on Growth Performance and Meat Quality of Fattening Pigs
- Kotrotsios, Nikolaos (Diakou 15) ;
- Christaki, Efterpi (Laboratory of Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki) ;
- Bonos, Eleftherios (Animal Production, Faculty of Technology of Agronomics, Technological Educational Institute of Western Macedonia) ;
- Paneri, Panagiota Florou (Laboratory of Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
- Received : 2011.12.30
- Accepted : 2012.03.28
- Published : 2012.06.01
In this experiment the effect of dietary carob pods in the growth performance of fattening pigs and their meat quality, including steak chemical composition and fatty acid profile, were examined. A total of 160 weaning piglets, 30 days old, were allocated into four equal groups with 4 subgroups of 5 female and 5 males each. The animals were fed with isocaloric and isonitrogenous diets, containing either 0 or 75 or 100 or 125 g of carob pods per kg of feed. At the end of the experiment, on the 180 day of age, carcass subcutaneous fat thickness, steak chemical composition and steak fatty acid profile were determined. The results of the experiment showed that the dietary addition of 75 or 100 g/kg carob pods increased body weight at slaughter and carcass weight. No significant effect was noticed on the other examined carcass parameters. Consequently, carob pods could be suggested as a potential feed for fattening pigs without any adverse effect on their meat quality.
Carob Pods;Pigs;Meat Quality;Carcass Composition;Fatty Acids
- Albanell, E., G. Caja and J. Plaixats. 1991. Characteristics of Spanish carob pods and nutritive value of carob kibbles. Options Mediterraneennes - Serie Seminaries. 16:135-136.
- Andres-Elias, N., J. Pujols, I. Badiola and D. Torrallardona. 2007. Effect of nucleotides and carob pulp on gut health and performance of weanling piglets. Livest. Sci. 108:280-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.080
- AOAC. 2005. Official methods of analysis. 18th edition. Association of Analytical Chemists, AOAC International, Arlington Virginia, USA.
- Barracosa, P., J. Osorio and A. Cravador. 2007. Evaluation of fruit and seed diversity and characterization of carob (Ceratonia siliqua L.) cultivars in Algarve region. Sci. Hortic. 114:250-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2007.06.024
- Biagi, G., I. Cipollini, B. R. Paulicks and F. X. Roth. 2010. Effect of tannins on growth performance and intestinal ecosystem in weaned piglets. Arch. Anim. Nutr. 64:121-135. https://doi.org/10.1080/17450390903461584
- Custodio, L., E. Fernandes, A. L. Escapa, A. Fajardo, R. Aligue, F. Albericio, N. R. Neng, J. M. F. Nogueira and A. Romano. 2011. Antioxidant and cytotoxic activities of carob tree fruit pulps are strongly influenced by gender and cultivar. J. Agric. Food Chem. 59:7005-7012. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf200838f
- FAO. 2009. FAOSTAT final data. http://faostat.fao.org/site/567/DesktopDefault.aspx? PageID=567#ancor .
- Gasmi-Boubaker, A., R. Bergaoui, A. Khaldi, M. R. Mosquera-Losada and A. Ketata. 2008. First attempt to study carob pulp utilization in rabbit feeding. World J. Agric. Sci. 4:67-70.
- Karabulut, A., O. Canbolat and A. Kamalak. 2006. Evaluation of carob, Ceratonia siliqua pods as a feed for sheep. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 18(7).
- Kotrotsios, N., E. V. Christaki, E. M. Bonos and P. C. Florou-Paneri. 2010. The effect of dietary carob pods on nutrient digestibility in weaning, growing and fattening periods of pigs. J. Food Agric. Environ. 8:779-782.
- Lanza, A., G. D' Urso, E. Lanza and C. Aleo. 1983. Esperienze d'impiego di un semolato di carruba ad umidita in diete per suini. Tec. Agric. 35:115-127.
- Lizardo, R., J. Canellas, F. Mas, D. Torrallardona and J. Brufau. 2002. Utilisation of carob powder in piglet diets and its influence on growth performance and health after weaning. 34emes Journees de la Recherche Porcine, sous l'egide de l' Association Franccaise de Zootechnie, Paris, France, 5-7 Fevrier.
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2003. Quantification of tannins in tree and shrub foliage. A laboratory manual. Kluwer Academic Publishers, UK.
- Mariscal-Landin, G., J. H. Avellaneda, T. C. Reis de Souza, A. Aguilera, G. A. Borbolla and B. Mar. 2004. Effect of tannins in sorghum on amino acid ileal digestibility and on trypsin (E.C.22.214.171.124) and chymotrypsin (E.C.126.96.36.199) activity of growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 117:245-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.09.001
- Mohamed, D. A., I. M. Hamed and S. Y. Al-Okbi. 2008. Ceratonia siliqua pods as a cheap source of functional food components. Dtsch. Lebensmitt. Rundsch. 104:25-29.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine. 10th Revised Edition. National Research Council, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Ortiz, L. T., M. L. Rodriguez, C. Alzueta, A. Rebole, C. Centeno and J. Trevino. 2004. Effect of carob seed (Ceratonia Siliqua L.) in broiler chick diets on nutrient digestibility and intestinal viscosity. In: EAAP Publication 110, Spain. pp. 239-242.
- Porter, J. L. 1989. Tannins. In: Methods in Plant Biochemistry (Ed. J. B. Harborne and P. M. Dey). Academic Press, London, UK. pp. 389-419.
- Priolo, A., M. Lanza, L. Biondi, P. Pappalardo and O. A. Young. 1998. Effect of partially replacing dietary barley with 20% carob pulp on post-weaning growth, and carcass and meat characteristics of Comisana lamb. Meat Sci. 50:355-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00041-2
- Sahle, M., J. Coleou and C. Haas. 1992. Carob pod (Ceratonia siliqua) meal in geese diets. Br. Poult. Sci. 33:531-541. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669208417492
- Serrano, J., R. Puupponen-Pimia, A. Dauer, A. Aura and F. Saura-Calixto. 2009. Tannins: Current knowledge of food, sources, intake, bioavailability and biological effects. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 53:S310-S329. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200900039
- Silanikove, N., S. Landau, D. Or, D. Kababya, I. Bruckental and Z. Nitsan. 2006. Analytical approach and effects of condensed tannins in carob pods (Ceratonia siliqua) on feed intake, digestive and metabolic responses of kids. Livest. Sci. 99:29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2005.05.018
- Tamir, M. and E. Alumot. 1969. Carob tannins - growth depression and levels of insoluble nitrogen in the digestive tract of rats. J. Nutr. 100:573-580.
- Tous, J., A. Romero, J. F. Hermoso, A. Ninot, J. Plana and I. Batlle. 2009. Agronomic and commercial performance of four Spanish carob cultivars. HortTechnology 19:465-470.
- ) kibbles using microwave-assisted technique pp.01458892, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13450