- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Outdoor Housing of Piglets on Behavior, Stress Reaction and Meat Characteristics
- Yonezawa, Tomohiro (Laboratory of Veterinary Physiology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Takahashi, Asahi (Laboratory of Animal Feeding and Management, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Imai, Satomi (Laboratory of Animal Behavior, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Okitsu, Aya (Laboratory of Animal Behavior, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Komiyama, Sonomi (Laboratory of Animal Feeding and Management, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Irimajiri, Mami (Laboratory of Animal Behavior, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Matsuura, Akihiro (Laboratory of Animal Behavior, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Yamazaki, Atusi (Laboratory of Animal Feeding and Management, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University) ;
- Hodate, Koich (Laboratory of Animal Feeding and Management, School of Veterinary Medicine, Kitasato University)
- Received : 2011.10.21
- Accepted : 2012.01.08
- Published : 2012.06.01
Well-designed housing systems are important from the viewpoint of animal welfare and improvement of meat production. In this study, we investigated the effects of outdoor housing of pigs on their behavior, cortisol levels, and meat characteristics. Two groups that were born and raised in a spacious outdoor pen (
Environmental Enrichment;Salivary Cortisol;Taste Preference;Electronic Taste-sensing System;Animal Welfare
- Altman, J. 1974. Observational study of behavior: sampling methods. Behaviour 49:227-267. https://doi.org/10.1163/156853974X00534
- Beattie, V. E., N. E. O'Connell and B. W. Moss. 2000b. Influence of environmental enrichment on the behavior, performance and meat quality of domestic pigs. Livest. Prod. Sci. 65:71-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(99)00179-7
- Chaloupková, H., G. Illmann, K. Neuhauserová, M. Tománek and L. Valis. 2007. Preweaning housing effects on behavior and physiological measures in pigs during the suckling and fattening periods. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1741-1749. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-504
- Chikuni, K., M. Oe, K. Sasaki, M. Shibata, I. Nakajima, K. Ojima and S. Muroya. 2010. Effects of muscle type on beef taste-traits assessed by an electric sensing system. Anim. Sci. J. 81:600-605. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2010.00773.x
- De Jong, I. C., I. T. Prelle, J. A. Van De Burgwal, E. Lambooij, S. M. Korte, H. J. Blokhuis and J. M. Koolhaas. 2000a. Effects of environmental enrichment on behavioral responses to novelty, learning, and memory, and the circadian rhythm in cortisol in growing pigs. Physiol. Behav. 68:571-578. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(99)00212-7
- Enfalt, A. C., K. Lundstrom, I. Hansson, N. Lundeheim and P. E. Nystrom. 1997. Effects of outdoor rearing and sire breed (Duroc or Yorkshire) on carcass composition and sensory and technological meat quality. Meat Sci. 45:1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00101-5
- Gandemer, G. 2002. Lipids in muscles and adipose tissues, changes during processing and sensory properties of meat products. Meat Sci. 62:309-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00128-6
- Gentry, J. G., J. J. McGlone, J. R. Blanton, Jr. and M. F. Miller. 2002. Impact of spontaneous exercise on performance, meat quality, and muscle fiber characteristics of growing/finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 80:2833-2839.
- Gentry, J. G., J. J. McGlone, M. F. Miller and J. R. Blanton, Jr. 2004. Environmental effects on pig performance, meat quality, and muscle characteristics. J. Anim. Sci. 82:209-217.
- Gregson, R. A. M. 1962. A rating-scale method for determining absolute taste thresholds. J. Food Sci. 27:376-380. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1962.tb00111.x
- Harbuz, M. S. and S. L. Lightman. 1992. Stress and the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis: Acute, chronic and immunological activation. J. Endocrinol. 134:327-339. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1340327
- Hartsock, T. G. and R. A. Barczewski. 1997. Prepartum behavior in swine: effects of pen size. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2899-2904.
- Jensen, P. 1994. Fighting between unacquainted pigs-Effects of age and of individual reaction pattern. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 41:37-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-1591(94)90050-7
- Klieber, M. A., C. Underhill, G. L. Hammond and Y. A. Muller. 2007. Corticosteroid-binding globulin, a structural basis for steroid transport and proteinase-triggered release. J. Biol. Chem. 282:29594-29603. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M705014200
- Klont, R. E., B. Hulsegge, A. H. Hoving-Bolink, M. A. Gerritzen, E. Kurt, H. A. Winkelman-Goedhart, I. C. de Jong and R. W. Kranen. 2001. Relationships between behavioral and meat quality characteristics of pigs raised under barren and enriched housing conditions. J. Anim. Sci. 79:2835-2843.
- Macleod, G. 1994. The flavour of beef. In: Flavor of Meat and Meat Product (Ed. F. Shahidi). pp. 4-37. Blackie Academic and Professional, Glasgow.
- Maltin, C. A., C. C. Warkup, K. R. Matthews, C. M. Grant, A. D. Porter and M. I. Delday. 1997. Pig muscle fiber characteristics as a source of variation in eating quality. Meat Sci. 47:237-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00055-7
- McGough, C., N. Peacock, C. Heckett, C. Baldin, A. Norman, G. Frost, P. Blake, D. Tait, V. Khoo, K. Harrington, K. Whelan and H. J. N. Andreyev. 2006. Taste preferences for oral nutrition supplements in patients before and after pelvic radiotherapy: a double-blind controlled study. Clin. Nutr. 25:906-912. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2006.04.005
- Matsuki, Y. 2008. OIE world guidelines for animal welfare. Sustain. Livest. Prod. Hum. Welf. 62:3-9.
- O'Connell, N. E., V. E. Beattie and B. W. Moss. 2004. Influence of social status on the welfare of growing pigs housed in barren and enriched environments. Anim. Welf. 13:425-431.
- Persson, E., M. Wulbers-Mindermann, C. Berg and B. Algers. 2008. Increasing daily feeding occasions in restricted feeding strategies does not improve performance or well being of fattening pigs. Acta Vet. Scand. 50:24. https://doi.org/10.1186/1751-0147-50-24
- Petersen, V. 1994. The development of feeding and investigatory behavior in free-ranging domestic pigs during their first 18 weeks of life. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 45:215-224.
- Sather, A. P., S. D. M. Jones, A. L. Schaefer, J. Colyn and W. M. Robertson. 1997. Feedlot performance, carcass composition and meat quality of free-range reared pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 77:225-232. https://doi.org/10.4141/A96-093
- Sato, S. 2011. Animal welfare: veterinarians' new role. J. Jpn. Vet. Med. Assoc. 64:88-92.
- Toko, K. 1996. Taste sensor with global selectivity. Mater. Sci. Eng. C. 4:69-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/0928-4931(96)00134-8
- Toko, K. 1998. A taste sensor. Meas. Sci. Technol. 9:1919-1936. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/9/12/001
- Van der Wal, P. G., B. Engel and H. G. M. Reimert. 1999. The effect of stress, applied immediately before stunning, on pork quality. Meat Sci. 53:101-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00039-X
- Westphal, U. 1986. Steroid-Protein Interactions II, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- Yonezawa, T., M. Koori, T. Kikusui and Y. Mori. 2009. Appeasing pheromone inhibits cortisol augmentation and agonistic behaviors during social stress in adult miniature pigs. Zool. Sci. 26:739-744. https://doi.org/10.2108/zsj.26.739
- Yonezawa, T., M. Irimajiri and A. Takahashi. JP Pat. Pend. No. 2011-50243.
- Research trends in outdoor pig production — A review vol.30, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0330
- Effects of environmental enrichment on behaviour, physiology and performance of pigs — A review vol.32, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0138
- Review: Microbial endocrinology: intersection of microbiology and neurobiology matters to swine health from infection to behavior pp.1751-732X, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731119000284