- Volume 32 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Concept's Diversity and Proximity for Photosynthesis in Grade 7 Students
- Lim, Soo-Min (Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jeong, Jae-Hoon (Dalsung Primary School) ;
- Kim, Youngshin (Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.05.30
- Accepted : 2012.07.23
- Published : 2012.08.31
Concepts of science have been developed by occupying 'ecological niche' within conceptual ecology. The ecological niche is determined from the mutual effect between intellectual environmental of the learner and new concept, which few studies have been conducted. This study examined how the ecological niche of the concept of photosynthesis in
ecological niche;conceptual ecology;diversity of concepts;relativeness;frequency rate;proximity of concepts
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Moon, K., & Kim, Y. (2008). Secondary school students' understanding and performance of experiments on photosynthesis and respiration. The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 36(7), 537-554.
- O' Connell, D. (2008). An inquiry-based approach to teaching: Photosynthesis & cellular respiration. The American Biology Teacher, 70(6), 350-356. https://doi.org/10.1662/0002-7685(2008)70[350:AIATTP]2.0.CO;2
- Ozay, E., & Oztas, H. (2003). Secondary students' interpretations of photosynthesis and plant nutrition. Journal of Biological Education, 37(2), 68-70. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.2003.9655853
- Park, H. (1995). A study of the components of students' conceptual ecologies. Dissertation, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Richardson, M. W. (1938). Multidimensional psychographics. Psychological Bulletin, 35, 659-660.
- Riemeier, T., & Gropengieber, H. (2008). On the roots of difficulties in learning about cell division: Process-based analysis of students' conceptual development in teaching experiments. International Journal of Science Education, 30(7), 923-939. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690701294716
- Shannon, C. E. (2001). A mathematical theory of communication. ACM SIGMOBILE Computing and Communications Review, 5(1), 3-55.
- Slagsvold, T., & Wiebe, K. (2007). Learning the ecological niche. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences, 274, 19-23. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2006.3663
- Song, H., & Chung, W. (2001). Characteristics of middle school students conceptual ecologies on the need of existence of living things. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 21(4), 648-657.
- Thomas, F. L. (1977). Ecological niche theory in sociocultural anthropology: A conceptual framework and an application. American Ethnologist, 4(1), 27-41. https://doi.org/10.1525/ae.1977.4.1.02a00020
- Toulmin, S. (1972). Human understanding: the collective use and evolution of concepts. Oxford, UK: Clarendon Press.
- Trundle, K. C., Atwood, R. K., & Christopher, J. E. (2007). A longitudinal study of conceptual change: preservice elementary teachers' conceptions of moon phase. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 44(2), 303-326. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20121
- Wavering, M. J. (1989). Logical reasoning necessary to make line graphs. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 26(5), 373-379. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660260502
- Williams, H. T. (1999). Semantics in teaching introductory physics. American Journal of Physics, 67, 670-680. https://doi.org/10.1119/1.19351
- Wood-Robinson, C. (1991). Young people's ideas about plants. Studies in Science Education, 19, 119-135. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057269108559995
- Alparslan, C., Tekkaya, C., & Geban, O. (2003). Using the conceptual change instruction to improve learning. Journal of Biological Education, 37(3), 133-137. https://doi.org/10.1080/00219266.2003.9655868
- Canal, P. (1999). Photosynthesis and inverse respiration in plants: An inevitable misconception? International Journal of Science Education, 21(4), 363-371. https://doi.org/10.1080/095006999290598
- Carrier, C. A., & Jonassen, D. H. (1988). Adaptaing courseware to accommodate individual differences. In D. H. Jonassen (Ed.), Instructional design for microcomputer courseware (pp. 203-225). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrwnce Erlcaum Associates.
- Carroll, G. R. (1985). Concentration and specialization: Dynamics of niche width in populations of organizations. American Journal of Sociology, 90(6), 1262-1283. https://doi.org/10.1086/228210
- Chinn, C. A., & Malhotra, B. A. (2002). Epistemologically authentic inquiry in schools: a theorical framework for evaluating inquiry tasks. Science Education, 86(2), 175-218. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.10001
- Chung, H., Park, H., Lim, Y., & Lim, J. (2005). The analysis of the connection of the terms and the inquiry about the photosynthesis in the middle and high school science textbooks by the 7th curriculum. The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 33(2), 196-208.
- Cunningham, W. P., & Cunningham, M. A. (2nd Ed.) (2003). Principles of environmental science inquiry and applications. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Demastes, S. S., Good, R., & Peebles, P. (1995). Students' conceptual ecologies and the process of conceptual change in evolution. Science Education, 79(6), 637-666. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730790605
- Kim, Y. (2009). Analysis of 8th grade students' biology concepts for before and after being taught in 'stimulus and reaction' unit. The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 37(4), 459-472.
- Lee, H., Byun, D., & Kim C. (1998). Analysis of interspecific association and ordination on the forest vegetation of Mt. Odae. The Korean Journal of Ecology, 21(3), 291-300.
- Lee, H., & Kim, Y. (2008). Analysis of primary and secondary biology instructional objectives on 7th science curriculum : Based on Bloom's revised taxonomy. The Korean Journal of Biological Education, 36(1), 52-62.
- Milne, G. R., & Mason, C. H. (1989). An ecological niche theory approach to the measurement of brand competition. Marketing Letters, 1(3), 267-281.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2008). Middle school curriculum(III); Mathematics, science, technology. Seoul: Daehan Printing & Publishing Company.
- Multidimensional Scaling Analysis of the Proximity of Photosynthesis Concepts In Korean Students vol.33, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2013.33.3.650
- Analysis on the Change of Niche Overlap of Elementary School Students' Photosynthesis Concepts through Instruction vol.34, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15267/keses.2015.34.1.072