- Volume 13 Issue 1
This paper discusses the mathematical modeling of a small scale ducted-fan UAV and examines its results in comparison to the wind tunnel test. A wind tunnel test is first performed, producing a substantial amount of test data. The acquired set of wind tunnel test data is then categorized and approximated as mathematical functions. Finally, the mathematically modeled forces and moments acting on the UAV are compared with the acquired wind tunnel data. The analysis involves a gradient-based algorithm and is applied to extract trim states with respect to various flight conditions. Consequently, a numerical analysis demonstrates that there exists a reasonable flight status with respect to airspeed.
Ducted-Fan UAV;Mathematical modeling;Wind tunnel test;Gradient-based algorithm
- Zhao, H. W., "Development of a Dynamic Model of a Ducted Fan VTOL UAV", Master's Thesis, School of Aerospace, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, RMIT Univ., Melbourne, 2009.
- Llpera, L., Colbourne, J. D., Tischler, M. B., Mansur, M. H., Rotkowitz, M. C., and Patangui, P., "The Micro Craft iSTAR Micro Air Vehicle: Control System Design and Testing", AIAA American Helicopter Society 57th Annual forum, Washington, DC, 2001.
- Salluce, D. N., "Comprehensive System Identification of Ducted Fan UAVS", Ph.D. Thesis, Aerospace Engineering Dept., California Polytechnic State Univ., San Luis Obispo, 2004.
- Johnson, E. N., and Turbe, M. A., "Modeling, Control, and Flight Testing of a Small Ducted Fan Aircraft", AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2005.
- Jang, J. S., and Lee, D. J., "Aerodynamic design of Ringwing type UAV", Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Science Autumn Conference, Jeju, Republic of Korea, 2008.
- Jang, J. S., and Lee, D. J., "Wind-tunnel Test of a Ducted Fan UAV", Korean Society for Aeronautical and Space Science Spring Conference, Pyeongchang, Republic of Korea, 2010.
- Heffley, R. K., and Minch, M. A., "Minimum-Complexity Helicopter Simulation Math Model", NASA CR-177476, 1988.
- Padfield, G. D., Helicopter flight dynamics: The theory and application of flying qualities and simulation modeling, AIAA Education Series, Reston, VA, 1996.
- Fleming, J., Jones, T., Ng, W., Gelhausen, P., and Enns, D., "Improving control system effectiveness for ducted fan VTOL UAVs operating in crosswind", 2nd AIAA Unmanned Unlimited Systems, Technologies, and Operations-Aerospace, San Diego, CA, 2003.
- Control System Design for a Ducted-Fan Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Using Linear Quadratic Tracker vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/364926
- Adaptive model predictive control-based attitude and trajectory tracking of a VTOL aircraft vol.12, pp.15, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-cta.2017.1048