- Volume 22 Issue 3
Preparation of Gel Polymer Electrolyte Membranes of Polyvinyl Alcohol and Poly (acrylic acid) for Zn Air Batteries
아연공기전지를 위한 Polyvinyl Alcohol과 Poly (acrylic acid)의 블랜드를 이용한 겔 고분자 전해질막의 제조
- Kim, Chanhoon (School of Energy.Materials and Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Koo, Ja-Kyung (School of Energy.Materials and Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2012.06.15
- Accepted : 2012.06.28
- Published : 2012.06.29
Gel polymer electrolyte membranes were prepared from blends of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) and poly (acrylic acid) (PAA), by solution-cast technique. The PAA content in the blend varied from 30 to 80 wt%. With the gel polymer electrolyte membranes, Zn air batteries were fabricated. The gel polymer electrolyte membranes were characterized by means of stress-strain test, impedance test. The Zn air batteries were tested by current interrupt method and galvanostatic discharge method. The tensile strength and tensile modulus decreased with increasing PAA content in the gel polymer electrolyte membrane. On the other hand, the ionic conductivity increased with increasing PAA content. The effect of ionic conductivity trend of the gel polymer electrolyte membrane in the Zn air battery was confirmed through current interrupt method and galvanostatic discharge method experiments. The battery with higher PAA content gel polymer electrolyte membrane showed lower IR drop and higher discharge capacity.
Supported by : 한국기술교육대학교
- J. H. Kim, S. W. Eom, S. I. Moon, M. S. Yun, and J. Y. Kim, "Effect of the conducting agent on characteristics of cathode for Zn/Air batteries", J. Kor Electrochem. Soc., 5, 74 (2002). https://doi.org/10.5229/JKES.2002.5.2.074
- J. H. Kim, S. W. Eom, S. I. Moon, M. S. Yun, and J. Y. Kim, "Development of Zin air battery for cellular phone", J. Kor. Inst. Electr. Electronic. Mat. Eng., 17, 936 (2004).
- M.-J. Choi, C.-H. Shin, T. Kang, J.-K. Koo, and N. Cho, "A study on the organic/inorganic composite electrolyte membranes for dye sensitized solar cell", Membrane Journal, 18, 345 (2008).
- D.-H. Cho, Y.-Y. Chung, M. H. Yun, S.-Y. Kwon, and J.-K. Koo, "Effect of plasticizer on electrolyte membranes for dye sensitized solar cells", Membrane Journal, 20, 13 (2010).
T. Kang, C.-H. Shin, M.-J. Choi, J.-K. Koo, and N. Cho, "A Study on the Ionic Conducting Characteristics of Electrolyte Membranes Containing KI and
$I_2$for Dye Sensitized Solar Cel", Membrane Journal, 20, 21 (2010).
- H. I. Cho, "Preparation and characteriztion of the surface fluorinated PVA/PSSA_MA electrolyte membranes Fuel Cell Applications", Master Dissertation, Hannam Univ., Daejeon, Korea (2008).
- X. Zhu, J. Yang. Y. Cao, and X. Ai, "Preparation and electrochemical characterization of alkaline polymer gel electrolyte polymerized from acrylic acid and KOH solution", Electrochim, Acta., 49, 2533 (1995).
- G. M. Wu, S. J. Lin, and C. C. Yang, "Alkaline Zn-air and Al-air cells based on novel solid PVA/PAA polymer electrolyte membranes", J. Membr. Sci., 280, 802 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2006.02.037
- C.-C. Yang and S.-J. Kub, "Alkaline composite PEO-PVA-glass-fibre-mat polymer electrolyte for Zn-air battery", J. Power Sources, 112, 497 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(02)00438-X
- C.-C. Yang, S.-J. Lin, and S.-T. Hsu, "Synthesis and characterization of alkaline polyvinyl alcohol and poly (epichlorohydrin) blend polymer electrolytes and performance in electrochemical cells", J. Power Sources, 122, 210 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(03)00429-4
- G. M. Wu, S. J. Lin, and C. C. Yang, "Preparation and characterization of PVA/PAA membranes for solid polymer electrolytes", J. Membr. Sci., 275, 127 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.memsci.2005.09.012
- S. Lazarou, E. Pyrgioti, and A. T. Alexandridis, "A simple electric circuit model for proton exchange membrane fuel cells", J. Power Sources, 190, 380 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.01.065