- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Research Trend for Improvement of Freight Demand Estimation Methods
화물수요추정방법 개선을 위한 국내외 연구동향 분석 연구
- Received : 2011.11.19
- Accepted : 2012.01.04
- Published : 2012.02.28
The traditional four-step demand model has limits in that it cannot reasonably reflect the logistic characteristics of freight transportation system. This is likely to cause problems when estimating the effects of logistics facilities. In order to enhance the reliability and availability of the freight demand estimation procedure it is needed to develop freight demand model which takes into account the logistic characteristics of firms. In the late 1990s, a number of researches on freight demand model considering logistics behaviors began in Europe while a few studies in the area have been conducted recently in Korea. This paper reviews recent advances of the freight model developments in the context of logistic behavior consideration. The main topics include 1) commodity classification, 2) P/C(Production- Consumption) estimation, 3) logistics network representation, 4) logistics chain model, and 5) commodity flow survey. In addition, this paper proposes future direction of the freight demand models with respect to the consideration of logistics characteristics.
Logistics Behavior;Commodity Classification;P/C;Logistics Network;Logistics Chain Model;Freight Survey
- Abdelwahab, W.M.(1998), Elasticities of Mode Choice Probabilities and Market Elasticities of Demand: Evidence from A Simultaneous Mode Choice/ Shipment-size freight Transport Model, Transportation Research Part E, Vol.34, No.4, pp.257-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-5545(98)00014-3
- Ali, T.H., Radhakrishnan, S., Pulat, S., Gaddipati, N.C.(2002), Relay Network Design in Freight Transportation Systems, Trasportation Research Part E, Vol.38, No.6, pp.405-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-5545(02)00016-9
- Bolis, S., Maggi, R.(2003), Logistics Strategy and Transport Service Choices: An Adaptive Stated Preference Experiment, Growth and Change, Vol.34, No.4, pp.490-504. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0017-4815.2003.00232.x
- Central Statistics Office(2008), Standard Report on Methods and Quality for National Survey of Transport of Goods by Road.
- CHOI, Chang-Ho(2002), Value of Traveltime Savings in Metropolitan Road Freight Transportation with Freight Classification Code, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.20, No.7, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.167-175.
- Choi, C.(2004), A Study on Estimating the Value of Travel Time of Freight Transportation for Toll Roads Investment Evaluation, Korea Research, Vol.43.
- CHOI, Chang Ho.LIM, Kang-Won(1999), The Value of Time in Intercity Freight Transportation, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.17, No.5, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.43-55.
- Choi, Y., Kim, C., Sung, H.(2008), An analysis of distribution channel on aggregate goods, The 59th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.933-942.
- Citilabs(2008), Cube Cargo Reference Guide.
- Citilabs(Cube), http://www.citilabs.com/index.php/cube-5.2139/
- City of Calgary Planning Policy/Data Management & Forecasting(2001), 2000 Commodity Flow Survey Report.
- Clark, C., Naughton, H.T., Proulx, B., Thoma, P.(2005), A Survey of The Freight Transportation Demand Literature And A Comparison of Elasticity Estimates, The Navigation Economic Technologies Program.
- Crainic, T.G.(2000), Service Network Design in Freight Transportation, European Journal of Operational Research 122, pp.272-288. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(99)00233-7
- Crainic, T.G., Florain, M., Guelat, J., Spiess, H.(1990), Strategic Planning of Freight Transportation: STAN, an Interactive-Graphic System, Transportation Research Record, No.1283, pp.97-124.
- De Jong, G., Ben Akiva, M.(2007), A Micro-Simulation Model of Shipment Size and Transport Chain Choice, Transportation Research Part B, Vol.41, No.9, pp.950-965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2007.05.002
- De Jong, G., Ben Akiva, M., Baak, J.(2010), Logistics Model in The Swdish National Freight Model System-version 2, Deliverable 6B for the SAMGODS GROUP.
- De Jong, G., Ben Akiva, M., Bexelius, S., Rahman, A., Van De Voort, M.(2004), The Specification of Logistics in The Norwegian and Swedish Freight Model Systems, Rand Europe.
- De Jong, G., Gunn, H., Walker, W., Widell, J.(2001), Study on Ideas on A New National Freight Model System for Sweden, Samgods Group.
- DfT(2008), A Guide to The Department for Transport's Road Freight Surveys.
- DfT(2009), Road Freight Statistics 2008.
- Garcia-Menendez, L., Martinez-Zarzoso, I., De Miguel, D.P.(2004), Determianats of Mode Choice between Road and Shipping for Freight Transport: Evidence for Four Spanish Exporting Sectors, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, Vol.38, Part 3, pp.447-466.
- Groothedde, B., Ruijgrok, C., Tavasszy, L.A. (2005), Towards Collaborative, Intermodal Hub Networks: A Case Study in The Fast Moving Consumer Goods Market, Transportation Research Part E, Vol.41, No.6, pp.567-583. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2005.06.005
- Weon Ik Ha.Ki Chan Nam(1996), Mode Choice Models for Freight Transportation Using SP Data, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.14, No.1, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.81-99.
- Ham, H., Kim, T., Boyce, D.(2005), Implementation and Estimation of A Combined Model of Interregional, Multimodal Commodity Shipments and Transportation Network Flows, Transportation Research Part B, Vol.39, No.1, pp.65-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2004.02.005
- INRO Consultants Inc.(EMME, STAN), http://www.inro.ca/en/index.php
- INRO(2000), STAN user's manual-release 6
- Institute of Studies for the Integration of Systems(Transtools), http://www.isis-it.com/index.php? option =com_content&view=article&id=72&catid=39&Itemid=41
- Janic, M.(2007), Modelling The Full Costs of An Intermodal and Road Freight Transport Network, Transportation Research Part D, Vol.12, No.1, pp.33-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2006.10.004
- Jiang, F., Johnson, P., Calzada, C.(1999), Freight Demand Characteristics and Mode Choice: An Analysis of The Results of Modeling with Disaggregate Revealed Preference Data, Journal Of Transportation And Statistics.
- JOO, Ji-Won.HA, Hun-Koo(2009), Estimating Value of Time for Freight Transportation in Freight Items Using Logit Model, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.27, No.5, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.163-168.
- Jourquin, B., Beuthe, M.(1996), Transportation Policy Analysis with A Geographic Information System: The Virtual Network of Freight Transportation in Europe, Transportation Research Part C, Vol.4, No.6, pp.359-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-090X(96)00019-8
- Jourquin, B.(2005), A Multi-Flow Multi-Modal Assignment Procedure Applied to The European Freight Transportation Networks, Association for European Transportation and contributors.
- Kim, C., Lee,j., Jung K.(2008, b), A Study on Freight mode Choice Modelling, The Korea Transportation Institute.
- KIM, Chansung.PARK, Minyoung.PARK, Dongjoo.KIM, Hansoo(2008, a), An Empirical Study on Distribution Channel Choice of Shippers, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.26, No.6, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.17-27.
- Kim, E.(2009), A Study of Physical Distribution Channel Choice Modelling: Focused on Domestic Goods, Master's Thesis of The University of Seoul.
- Kim, H.(2010), A Study on Multimodal Channel Choice modelling: Focused on Export-Import Container Freights, Master's Thesis of The University of Seoul.
- KO, Young-Seung.PARK, Dongjoo.KIM, Chansung.KIM, Hyun Soo.PARK, Minchoul (2010), Supply Chain-based Freight Distribution Channel Choice Model using Distribution Channel Analysis, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, Vol.28, No.6, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.133-146.
- Lee, J., Park, M., Sung, H., Kang, J.(2011), A Study on Commodity Classifications for the Development of Freight Demand Model, The 64th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.ii-149-154.
- MDS-transmodal Ltd(2003), The GB Freight Model.
- Meng, Q., Wang, X.(2011), Intermodal Huband-Spoke Network Design: Incorporating Multiple Stakeholders and Multitype Containers, Transportation Research Part B, Vol.45, No.4, pp.724-742. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2010.11.002
- Michael J.F., Maren L.O., Cheng, L.L, Dike N.A., Calix, R.(2005), Innovative Framework for Modeling Freight Transportation in Los Angeles County, California, Journal of The Transportation Research Record, No.1906, transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC., pp.105-112.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs(2010), Traffic System Efficiency Business: Development of Transport Policy Support and Analysis Systems.
- Norojono, O., Young, W.(2003), A Stated Preference Freight Mode Choice Model, Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol.26, No.2, pp.195-212.
- Park, D.(2009), Improvement of Freight Demand Estimation Methods Using Distribution Channel Analysis, The University of Seoul.
- Park, D., Kim, H., Kim, C., Kim, H., Kim, K.(2010, a), An Empirical Comparison of Freight Demand Forecasting Approach: P/C based and O/D based Method, The 63th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.ii-181-186.
- Park, D., Shin, S., Choi, C., Shon, E., Kim, H.,(2007), Development of Freight Mode Choice Model Using SP Data, The 57th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.201-209.
- Park, J.(1995), Reilroad Marketing Support System Based on the Freight Choice Model, Doctoral Dissertation of MIT.
- Park, M., Lee, J., Kim, C., Park, D.(2010, b), Freight Demand Analysis Considering Logistics Chain: A Case of Petrochemical Products, The 63th Conference of Korean Society of Transportation, Korean Society of Transportation, pp.ii-169-174.
- Rich, J., Holmblad, P.M., Hansen, C.O. (2009), A weighted logit freight mode-choice model, Transportation Research Part E, Vol.45, No.6, pp.1006-1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tre.2009.02.001
- Shinghal, N., Fowkes, T.(2002), Freight Mode Choice and Adaptive Stated Preferences, Transportation Research Part E, Vol.38, No.5, pp.367-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-5545(02)00012-1
- SIKA(2003), Applications, Weaknesses and Development Issues of The Swedish National Freight Transport Model System SAMGODS.
- SIKA(2003), Commodity Flow Survey 2001.
- Southworth, F., Peterson, B.E.(2000), Intermodal and International Freight Network Modeling, Transportation Research Part C, Vol.8, No.1-6, pp.147-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0968-090X(00)00004-8
- Southworth, F., Davidson, D., Hwang, H.L., Peterson, B.E., Chin, S.M.(2010), The Freight Analysis Framework, Version 3: Overview of the FAF3 National Freight Flow Tables, Prepared for Federal highway administration Office of freight management and operations Federal highway administration US Department of Transportation, Washington, DC.
- Statistics Korea(2009), The 9th Korean Standard Industrial Classification.
- Statistics Korea, http://www.kostat.go.kr
- Tavasszy, L.A.(1996), Modelling European Freight Transport Flows, Delft University of Technology, Trail Research School, Delft.
- Tavasszy, L.A., Smeenk B., Ruijgrok C.J.(1998), A DSS for Modelling Logistics Chains in Freight Transport Policy Analysis, International Transactions in Operational Research, Vol.5, No.6, pp.447-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-3995.1998.tb00128.x
- Tavasszy, L.A., Van de Vlist, M., Ruijgrok, C., Van de Rest, J.(1998), Scenario-Wise Analysis of Transport and Logistic Systems with a SMILE, Presented at 8th World Conference on Transport Research, Antwerp, Belgium.
- Tavasszy, L.A., Cornelissen, C.E., Huijsman, E.(2001), Forecasting the Impacts of Changing Patterns of Physical Distribution on Freight Transport in Europe, In 9th World Congress on Transport Research (CDROM), Elsevier.
- Tavasszy, L.A.(2006), Freight Modelling-An Overview of International Experiences, Paper prepared for the TRB Conference on Freight Demand Modelling: Tools for Public Sector Decision Making, September, Washington DC., pp.25-27.
- Tavasszy, L.A.(2008), An Overview of International Experiences, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., pp.47-55.
- The Bank of Korea(2009), Regional Inter Industry Analysis.
- The Korea international Trade Association (2010), Foreign trade statistics.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(1998,b), Basic Plan to Build National Railway for 21 Century.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2006), National Transportation Database in 2005: the Weighting and Expansion of Sample O-D Freight Data on the National Area.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2008), National Transportation Demand Survey and Database Establishment in 2007: Additional research challenges the court for investigation and action plan.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2008), National Transportation Demand Survey and Database Establishment in 2007: Freight O/D Complementary Survey on the National Area.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2009), National Transportation Demand Survey and Database Establishment in 2008: Distribution Channels and Logistics Warehouse Survey on Major Commodity.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2010), National Transportation Demand Survey and Database Establishment in 2009: Distribution Channels on major Commodity.
- The Korea Transportation Institute(2011), National Transportation Demand Survey and Database Establishment in 2010: Freight O/D Preliminary Survey on the National Area.
- TNO Inro(2005), TRANS-TOOLS(TOOLS for Transport forecasting And Scenario testing) Deliverable 1: Report WP 1, Delft, Netherlands.
- TNO Inro(2006), Report on model specification and calibration results, Trans-Tools, Report WP3, Delft, Netherlands.
- Transportation Division(2009), Annual Motor Carriers of Freight Survey 2008.
- Transportation Research Board(2006), Transportation Research Circular Commodity Flow Survey Conference.
- Transportation Research Knowledge Centre (Trans-tools), http://www.transport-research.info/web/projects/project_details.cfm?id=11088
- Tsamboulas, D., Kapros, S.(2000), Decision Making Process in Intermodal Transportation, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., pp.7-55.
- Vasiliauskas, A. V.(2003), Modelling of National Multimodal Transport Network, Transport and Telecommunication, Vol.4, No.4, pp.38-43.
- Yamada, T., Imai, K., Nakamura, T., Taniguch, E.(2011), A Supply Chain-Transport Super Network Equilibrium Model with The Behaviour of Freight Carriers, Transportation Research Part E, Article in Press.
- Development of Freight Transport Route Model by Considering Logistics Center vol.39, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2015.39.1.61
Supported by : 한국연구재단