- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Cooling Performance of In-wheel Motor for Green Car
그린카용 인휠 모터의 냉각 성능에 관한 연구
- Jung, Jung-Hun (Green Car Powertrain R&D Division, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Kim, Sung-Chul (Green Car Powertrain R&D Division, Korea Automotive Technology Institute) ;
- Hong, Jung-Pyo (Department of Automotive Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2011.01.12
- Accepted : 2011.03.20
- Published : 2012.01.01
The in-wheel motor used in green car was designed and constructed for an electric direct-drive traction system. It is difficult to connect cooling water piping because the in-wheel motor is located within the wheel structure. In the air cooling structure for the in-wheel motor, a outer surface on the housing is provided with cooling grooves to increase the heat transfer area. In this study, we carried out the analysis on the fluid flow and thermal characteristics of the in-wheel motor under the effects of motor speed and heat generation. In order to check the problem of heat release, the analysis has been performed using conjugate heat transfer (conduction and convection). As a result, flow fields and temperature distribution inside the in-wheel motor were obtained for base speed condition (1250 rpm) and maximum speed condition (5000 rpm). Also, the thermo-flow characteristics analysis of in-wheel motor for vehicles was performed in consideration of ram air effect. Therefore, we checked the feasibility of the air cooling for the housing geometry having cooling grooves and investigated the cooling performance enhancement.
Supported by : 지식경제부
- T. Lee and D. Kim, "Technical Trend of In-wheel System," Auto Journal, KSAE, Vol.31, No.4, pp.21-25, 2009.
- Y. Hori, "Future Vehicle Driven by Electricity and Control-research on Four-wheel-motored "UOT Electric March II"," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.51, No.5, pp.954-962, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.834944
- S. Sakai, H. Sado, and Y. Hori, "Novel Skid Detection Method without Vehicle Chassis Speed for Electric Vehicle," JSAE Review (Elsevier Science), Vol.21, No.4, pp.503-510, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0389-4304(00)00063-1
- E. Wall and S. Rogers, Thermal Control for Power Electronics and Motors, FY 2006 Progress Report, pp.7-140, 2006.
- J. Jung, S. Kim, H. Kim, J. Won and W. Kim, "A Study on Cooling Performance Analysis of In-Wheel Motor," Annual Conference Proceedings, KSAE, pp.3034-3038, 2009.
- P. Turnbull, J. Kuo, R. Schultz and B. Turner, "Thermal Analysis of an Electric Machine for a Hybrid Vehicle," SAE World Congress, 2004-01-0565, 2004.
- Thermal Design and Analysis Evaluation of ISG Motor for Hybrid Electric Vehicles considering High-speed Driving Condition vol.22, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2014.22.1.059