- Volume 14 Issue 6
Cognitive Beamforming Based Smart Metering for Coexistence with Wireless Local Area Networks
- Lee, Keonkook (Department of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Chae, Chan-Byoung (School of Integrated Technology, Yonsei University) ;
- Sung, Tae-Kyung (Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kang, Joonhyuk (Department of Electrical Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.05.26
- Published : 2012.12.31
The ZigBee network has been considered to monitor electricity usage of home appliances in the smart grid network. ZigBee, however, may suffer from a coexistence problem with wireless local area network (WLAN). In this paper, to resolve the coexistence problem between ZigBee network and WLAN, we propose a new protocol constructing a cognitive smart grid network for supporting monitoring of home appliances. In the proposed protocol, home appliances first estimates the transmission timing and channel information of WLAN by reading request to send/clear to send (RTS/CTS) frames of WLAN. Next, based on the estimated information, home appliances transmit a data at the same time as WLAN transmission. To manage the interference between WLAN and smart grid network, we propose a cognitive beamforming algorithm. The beamforming algorithm is designed to guaranteeing zero interference to WLAN while satisfying a required rate for smart metering. We also propose an energy efficient rate adaptation algorithm. By slowing down the transmission rate while satisfying an imperceptible impact of quality of service (QoS) of the receiver, the home appliance can significantly save transmit power. Numerical results show that the proposed multiple antenna technique provides reliable communications for smart metering with reduced power comparing to the simple transmission technique.
- A. Clark and C. J. Pavlovski, "Wireless networks for the smart energy grid: application aware networks," in Proc. Int. MultiConf. of Engineers and Computer Scientists, March 2010.
- S. E. Collier, "Ten steps to a smarter grid," in Proc. IEEE Rural Electrical Power Conf., April 2009.
- C. Bennett and D. Highfill, "Networking AMI smart meters," in Proc. IEEE Energy 2030 Conf., Nov. 2008.
- D. V. Dollen, "Report to nist on the smart grid interoperability standards roadmap," Technical report, SB1341-09-CN-0031, Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), 2009.
- G. Thonet, P. A. Jacquin, and P. Colle, "ZigBee - WiFi coexistence: White paper and test report," Technical report, Schneider Electrics, 2008.
- J. Hou, B. Chang, D.-K. Cho, and M. Gerla, "Minimizing 802.11 interference on ZigBee medical sensors," in Proc. of Body Area Networks, April 2009.
- K. Shuaib, M. Boulmalf, F. Sallabi, and A. Lakas, "Co-existence of Zig- Bee and WLAN - a performance study," in Proc. of IEEE IFIP Int. Conf. Wireless and Optical Comm. Net., April 2006.
- J. Huang, G. Xing, G. Zhou, and R. Zhou, "Beyond co-existence: ExploitingWiFi white space for ZigBee performance assurance," in Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Net. Protocols, Oct. 2010.
- A. Goldsmith, S. A. Jafar, I. Maric, and S. Srinivasa, "Breaking spectrum gridlock with cognitive radios: an information theoretic perspective," Proc. IEEE, vol. 97, pp. 894-914, May 2008.
- R. C. Qiu, Z. Hu, Z. Chen, N. Guo, R. Ranganathan, S. Hou, and G. Zheng, "Cognitive radio network for the smart grid: Experimental system architecture, control algorithms, security, and Microgrid testbed," to appear in IEEE Trans. Smart Grid.
- A. Ghassemi, S. Bavarian, and L. Lampe, "Cognitive radio for smart grid communications," in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, pp. 297 - 302, Oct. 2010.
- N. Sastry, K. Sollins, and J. Crowcroft, "Architecting citywide ubiquitous Wi-Fi access," in Proc. of ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Hot Topics in Net., Nov. 2007.
- "Wifi based electrical appliances control system project," Available at http://homeapplianceservice24.com/wifi-based-electrical-appliancescontrol-system/.
- C.-B. Chae, S. Kim, and R. W. Heath, Jr., "Network coordinated beamforming for cell-boundary users: Linear and non-linear approaches," IEEE Jour. Select. Topics in Sig. Proc., vol. 3, pp. 1094-1105, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2035857
- C.-B. Chae, A. Forenza, R.W. Heath, Jr.,M. R.McKay, and I. B. Collings, "Adaptive MIMO transmission techniques for broadband wireless communication systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 48, pp. 112-118, May 2010.
- R. Zhang and Y.-C. Liang, "Exploiting multi-antennas for opportunistic spectrum sharing in cognitive radio networks," IEEE Jour. Select. Topics in Sig. Proc., vol. 2, pp. 88-102, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSTSP.2007.914894
- G. Strang, Linear Algebra and Its Applications. Brooks Cole, 4th ed., 2005.
- C.-B. Chae, D. Mazzarese, N. Jindal, and R. W. Heath, Jr., "Coordinated beamforming with limited feedback in the MIMO broadcast channel," IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Commun., vol. 26, pp. 1505-1515, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2008.081016
- S. Cui, A. J. Goldsmith, and A. Bahai, "Energy-efficiency of MIMO and cooperative MIMO techniques in sensor networks," IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Commun., vol. 22, pp. 1089-1098, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.830916
- H. Kim, C. -B. Chae, G. de Veciana, and R. W. Heath, Jr., "A cross-layer approach to energy efficiency for adaptive MIMO systems exploiting spare capacity," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 8, pp. 4264-4275, Aug. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2009.081123
- H. Kim and G. de Veciana, "Leveraging dynamic spare capacity in wireless systems to conserve mobile terminals' energy," IEEE/ACM Trans. Networking, vol. 18, pp. 802-815, June 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNET.2009.2032238
- S. Cui, A. J. Goldsmith, and A. Bahai, "Energy-constrained modulation optimization," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 4, pp. 2349-2360, Sept. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2005.853882
- CISCO, "Cisco ieee 802.11 maximum power levels and antenna gains,"