- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Unstale Surface Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on Trunk Posture and Balance Ability in Patients With Scoliosis
불안정한 지지면의 척추안정화 운동이 척추측만증 환자의 체간 자세와 균형에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Woo-Jin (Department of Physical Therapy, Gangneung Yeongdong College) ;
- Lim, Chang-Hun (Department of Physical Therapy, Gangneung Yeongdong College)
- Received : 2011.12.31
- Accepted : 2012.02.20
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose : This study was somatosensory less in patients with idiopathic scoliosis somatosensory input to the lumbar stabilization exercises carried out to determine the most effective treatment method to be stable and unstable in terms of supporting the lumbar stabilization exercises the patient's torso length and postural sway by comparing the distance from a standing position and looked for differences in effect on the balance. Methods : The subjects of the study were 18 patients who showed the symptom of scoliosis. The study classified the patients into two experimental groups, one using an unstable surface and one a fixed surface, and the patients were required to do a lumbar stabilization exercise a total of 12 times for 60 minutes per session, three times a week for four weeks. The study carried out a paired comparison t-test so as to compare differences between measurement values in each experimental group before and after the exercise. Results : Superior iliac spine on the left, there was a significant reduction in the group doing the lumbar stabilization exercise on an unstable surface (p<0.05). Regarding change in sway distance to the left and right directions in the group doing the lumbar stabilization exercise on the unstable surface, there was a significant decrease in both the condition of closed eyes or open eyes (p<0.05). As for change in sway distance in forward-and-backward direction, there was a significant reduction in the condition of either closed eyes or open eyes (p<0.05). Conclusion : The lumbar stabilization exercise on an unstable surface improved the trunk posture of patients with scoliosis symmetrically, and the static balance ability in a standing posture was discovered to be improved. In the future, the lumbar stabilization exercise on an unstable surface may be used as a posture correction and balance increase exercise for patients with scoliosis.
- 공원태, 정연우, 배성수, 천장관절 가동술과 요천추부 안정화 운동이 균형능력에 미치는 영향. 대한 물리치료사학회지. 2005;17(3):285-295.
- 문재호, 박병균, 박기영. 척추측만증의 보존적 치료에 대한 고찰. 대한활의학회지. 1991;15(1):122-7.
- 박미정, 박정숙. 자세관리프로그램이 초등학생의 척추측만 정도와 자세에 대한 지식에 미치는 영 향. 대한간호학회지. 2003;33(5):643-50.
- 박선희. 슬링 요부안정화 운동이 특발성 척추측만증 환자의 균형에 미치는 영향. 삼육대학교 대학원.석사학위논문. 2007
- 서울시 교육청, 학교보건원. 통계연보. 1999
- 석세일, 안제환, 김인권 등. 한국인에서의 척추측만증 발생빈도에 관한 연구. 대한정형외과학회. 1980; 15(1):1-6.
- 이명숙. 자기효능증진법을 병용한 척추교정운동이 척추측만증 중학생의 신체적, 심리적 기능에 미치는 효과. 한국간호교육학회지. 2008;14(2):282-93.
- 이숙희, 김종희. 초등학교 5, 6학년을 대상으로 한 척추측만증 상태조사. 한국학교보건과학회지. 1999; 12(1):143-8.
- 이춘성. 특발성 척추측만증. 대한척추외과학회지. 1999; 6(2):228-96.
- Bunnell WP. The natural history of idiopathic scoliosis before sk- eletal maturity. Spine. 1986; 11(8):773-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198610000-00003
- Cailliet R. Scoliosis: Diagnosis and management. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Co. 1975.
- Carpes FP, Reinehr FB, Mota CB. Effects of a program for trunk strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics, and body balance, A pilot study. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2008;12(1): 22-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2007.05.001
- Chen PQ, Wing JL, Tsuang YH et al. The postural stability control and gait pattern of idiopathic scoliosis adolescent. Clin Biomech. 1998;13(1 Suppl 1):S52-S8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(97)00075-2
- Daniel HK, Monica LY, Jack CY et al. The effect of backpack weight on the standing posture and balance of schoolgirls with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis and normal controls. Gait Posture. 2006; 24(2):173-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2005.08.007
- David S. Bradford MD, James W et al. Moe's Textbook of scoliosis and other spinal deformities [Hardcover]. Philadelphia. W.B. Saunders. 1994.
- Kunakornsawat S, Watcharananan I, Tungsiripat R et al. Operative results of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in Lerdsin Hospital. J Med Assoc Thai. 2007;90(7):1443-9.
- Focarile FA, Bonaldi A, Giarolo M et al. Effectiveness of nonsu- rgical treatment for idiopathic scoliosis: Overview of available evidence. Spine. 1991;16 (4):395-401. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199104000-00001
- Guo X, Chau WW, Hui-Chan et al. Balance control in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis and disturbed somatosensory function. Spine. 2006;31 (14):437-40. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000222048.47010.bf
- Kane WJ. Scoliosis prevalence: A statement of terms. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1977;(126):43-6.
- Kehl DK, Morrissy RT. Brace treatment in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: An update on concepts and technique. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1988;(229): 34-43.
- Laulund T, Sojbjerg JO, Horlyck E. Moireopography in school screening for structural scoliosis. Acta Orthop Scand. 1982;53(5):765-8. https://doi.org/10.3109/17453678208992289
- Lonstein JE. Screening for spinal deformities in Minnesota school. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1977; (126):33-42.
- Nachemson AL, Peterson LE. Effectiveness of treatment with a brace in girls who have adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. A prospective, controlled study based on data from the Brace Study of the Scoliosis Research Society. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77(6):815-22. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199506000-00001
- Nault ML, Allard P, Hinse S et al. Relations between standing stability and body posture parameters in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 2002;27(17): 1911-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200209010-00018
- Neumann. Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system: Foundations for physical rehabilitation. Singapore. Mosby Publication. 2002
- O'Sullivan PB. Lumbar segmental instability: Clinical present- ation and specific stabilizing exercise management. Man Ther. 2000;5(1):2-12. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1999.0213
- Rogala EJ, Drummond DS, Gurr J. Scoliosis: Incidence and natural history. A prospective epidemiological study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1978;60(2):173-6. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197860020-00005
- Richardson CA, Jull GA, Hodges PW et al. Therapeutic exercise for spinal segmental stabilization in low back pain. New York. Churchill Livingstone. 1999.
- Theologis TN, Fairbank JCT, Turner Smith AR et al. Early detection of progression in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis by measurement of changes in back shape with the integrated shape imaging system scanner. Spine. 1997;22(11):1223-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199706010-00010
- Theologis TN, Torell G, Nordwall A et al. The changing pattern of scoliosis treatment due to effective screening. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1981; 63(3):337-41. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198163030-00002
- Viviani G, Budgell L, Dok C et al. Assessment of accuracy of the scoliosis school screening examination. Am J Public Health. 1984;74(5):497-8. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.74.5.497
- Willers U, Hedlund R, Aaro S. Long-term results of harrington instrumentation in idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 1993;18(6):713-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199305000-00007
- Winer-Vacher SR, Mazda K. Asymmetric otolith vestibuloocular responses in children with idiopathic scoliosis. J Pediatr. 1998;132(6):1028-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70403-2
- Yamada K, Ikata T, Yamamoto H et al. Equilibrium function in scoliosis and active corrective plaster jacket for the treatment. Tokushima J Exp Med. 1969;16(1):1-7.
- Yekukiel M, Robin GC, Frcs MD et al. Proprioceptive function in children with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Spine. 1981;6(6): 560-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198111000-00006
- The effects of backpack loads and spinal stabilization exercises on the dynamic foot pressure of elementary school children with idiopathic scoliosis vol.27, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.2257
- Effect of Leg Length Discrepancy on Gait and Cobb's Angle vol.26, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2016.26.1.101
- Effects of Sling Exercise on Flexibility, Balance Ability, Body Form, and Pain in Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain pp.02784807, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/rnj.287