- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Follow-up Study of Condylar Bone Changes using Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Patients with Osteoarthritis
측두하악장애 골관절염 환자에서 cone-beam CT를 이용한 관절면의 변화 추적 연구
- Ko, Chul-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University) ;
- Kim, Byeong-Soo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University) ;
- Ko, Myung-Yun (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University) ;
- Jeong, Sung-Hee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University) ;
- Ok, Soo-Min (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University) ;
- Ahn, Yong-Woo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry, Pusann National University)
- 고철희 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실) ;
- 김병수 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실) ;
- 고명연 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실) ;
- 정성희 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실) ;
- 옥수민 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실) ;
- 안용우 (부산대학교 치의학전문대학원 구강내과학교실)
- Received : 2012.01.02
- Accepted : 2012.02.16
- Published : 2012.03.30
This study was designed to assess follow-up study of condylar bone changes using cone beam computed tomography in patients with osteoarthritis. The author performed clinical examination for osteoarthritis patients who visited Orofacial Pain Clinic, Department of Oral Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital. CBCT(Cone beam computed tomography) was taken for 228 joints in 114 subjects. After average 10 months, CBCT was retaken. A Oral medicine and Oral radiologist evaluated CBCT each other. Condyle bone changes were classified by no bone change, flattening, erosion, osteophyte and sclerosis. The obtained results were as follow. 1. The condylar bone changes of osteoarthritis in temporomandibular disorder were as follow: 1) The transitions of each types of condylar bone changes was maintained at the initial state of the majority. 2) The transition of erosion was distributed erosion, flattening, sclreosis, osteohyte in order. 3) The transition of flattening was distributed flattening, osteohyte, normal, sclreosis in order. 4) The transition of osteohyte was distributed osteohyte, erosion, sclreosis, flattening in order. 5) The transition of sclreosis was distributed sclreosis, osteohyte, erosion, normal in order. 2. The signs and symptoms according to transition of each types of condylar bone changes were as follow 1) In the transition of condylar bone changes from erosin to erosion, pain, noise, LOM and MCO had symptomatic improvement. In the transition of condylar bone changes from erosin to flattening, pain, LOM, MCO had symptomatic improvement. In the transition of condylar bone changes from erosin to no bony change, pain, noise, LOM had symptomatic improvement. In the transition of condylar bone changes from erosion to flattening than the maintenance of eosion, MCO had symptomatic improvement. 2) In the transition of condylar bone changes from flattening to flattening, pain, noise and MCO had symptomatic improvement. In the transition of condylar bone changes from flattening to sclerosis, LOM had symptomatic improvement. 3) In the transition of condylar bone changes from osteophyte to osteophyte, pain, LOM and MCO had symptomatic improvement.
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Stegenga B, de Bont LG, Boering G. : Osteoarthrosis as the cause of craniomandibular pain and dysfunction: a unifying concept. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1989;47(3):249-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(89)90227-9
- Yamada K, Saito I, Hanada K, Hayashi T. : Observation of three cases of temporomandibualr joint osteoarthritis and mandibular morphology during adolescence using helical CT. J Oral Rehabil 2004;30:298-305.
- Chung SC, Kim YK et al. : Orofacial pains and temporomandibular disorders. 2nd ed. seoul, 1996, Shinhung Co., pp. 149-153.
- Rasmussen OC. : Temporomandibular arthropathy. Clinical, radiologic, and therapeutic aspects, with emphasis on diagnosis. Int J Oral Surg. 1983;12(6): 365-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9785(83)80029-5
- Rasmussen OC. : Clinical findings during the course of temporomandibular arthropathy. Scand J Dent Res 1981;89(3):283-8.
- Kamelchuk LS, Major PW. : Degenerative disease of the temporomandibular joint. J Orofac Pain 1995;9(2):168-80.
- 정성창 등. 악관절 장애와 교합, 1999, 군자출판사, pp 326-330
- Christiansen EL, Thompson JR, Kopp SF, Hasso AN, Hinshaw DB Jr. : Radiographic signs of temporomandibular joint diseases : an investigation utilizing X-ray computed tomography. Globe 1985-1986:69-77.
- Tanimoto K, Petersson A, Rohlin M, Hansson LG, Johansen CC.: Comparison of computed with conventional tomography in the evaluation of temporomandibular joint disease: a study of autopsy specimens. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 1990;19(1):21-7. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr.19.1.2201579
- Larheim TA. : Current trends in temporomandibular joint imaging. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1995;80(5):555-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(05)80154-4
- Tsiklakis K, Syriopoulos K, Stamatakis HC. : Radiographic examination of the temporo-mandibualr joint using cone beam computed tomography. Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 2004;33:196-201. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/27403192
- Honey OB, Scarfe WC, Hilgers MJ et al. : Accuracy of cone-beam computed tomography imaging of the temporomandibular joint: Comparisions with panoramic radiology and linear tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;132:429-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajodo.2005.10.032
- Fu KY, Zhang WL, Liu DG, Chen HM, Ma XC. : Cone beam computed tomography in the diagnosis of temporomandibular joint osteoarthrosis. Zhonghua Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi 2007;42(7):417-20.
- Barghan S, Merrill R, Tetradis S. : Cone beam computed tomography imaging in the evaluation of the temporomandibular joint. J Calif Dent Assoc 2010;38(1):33-9.
- Hussain AM, Packota G, Major PW, Flores-Mir C. : Role of different imaging modalities in assessment of temporomandibular joint erosions and osteophytes: a systematic review. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2008;37(2):63-71. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/16932758
- Roh CS, Jung YH, Tae IH, Ko MY, Ahn YW. : The Usefulness of Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Diagnosis of Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis. Korean J Oral Med 2009;34(1):81-90
- Ahmad M, Hollender L, Anderson Q et al. : Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (RDC/TMD): development of image analysis criteria and examiner reliability for image analysis. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;107(6):844-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2009.02.023
- de Leeuw R, Boering G, Stegenga B, de Bont LG. : Radiographic signs of temporomandibular jointosteoarthrosis and internal derangement 30 years after nonsurgical treatment. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1995;79(3):382-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1079-2104(05)80233-1
- Koyama J, Nishiyama H, Hayashi T. : Follow-up study of condylar bony changes using helical computed tomography in patients with temporomandibular disorder. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2007:36:472-477 https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/28078357
- Rohlin M, Akerman S, Kopp S. : Tomography as an aidto detect macroscopic change of the temporomandibualr joint. An autopsy study of the aged. Acta Odontol Scand 1986;44(3):131-140. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016358609026565
- Hatcher D, McEvoy S, Mah R, Faulkner G. : McNeil C. Science and Practice of Occlusion. 1st ed. illinois, 1997, Quintessence Publishing Co., pp. 259-270.
- Muir CB, Goss AN. : The radiologic morphology of painful temporomandibular joints. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1990;70(3):355-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-4220(90)90155-L
- Ko CH, Ahn YW, Ko MY, Park JS. : Evaluation of Condylar Surface in Temporomandibular joint with lock sensation using Computed Tomography. Korean J Oral med 2004:29(1):67-77
- Rasmussen OC. : Longitudinal study of transpharyngeal radiography in temporomandibular arthropathy. Scand J Dent Res 1980 ;88(3):257-68.
- de Leeuw R, Boering G, Stegenga B, de Bont LG. : Clinical signs of TMJ osteoarthrosis and internal derangement 30 years after nonsurgical treatment. J Orofac Pain 1994;8(1):18-24.
- Mejersjo C. : Therapeutic and prognostic considerations in TMJ osteoarthrosis: a literature review and a long-term study in 11 subjects. Cranio 1987;5(1):69-78.
- Son DE, Ok SJ, Ko MY, Ahn YW. : A Study of Conservative Treatment for Patients with Osteoarthritis of the TMJ. Korean J Oral med 2007:32(2):227-239
- Hansson LG, Petersson A, Vallon-Christersson D. : Clinical and radiologic six-year follow-up study of patients with crepitation of the temporomandibular joint. Swed Dent J 1984;8(6):277-87.
- Sato H, Fujii T, Yamada N, Kitamori H. : Temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: a comparative clinical and tomographic study pre-and post-treatment. J Oral Rehabil 1994;21(4):383-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1994.tb01153.x
- Yoshimura Y, Yoshida Y, Oka M, Miyoshi M, Uemura S. : Long-term evaluation of non-surgical treatment of osteoarthrosis of the temporomandibular joint. Int J Oral Surg 1982;11(1):7-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9785(82)80042-2
- Toller PA. : Osteoarthrosis of the mandibular condyle. Br Dent J 1973;134(6):223-31. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bdj.4802982
- The Clinical and Radiographic Features of Patients with Temporomandibular Joint Osteoarthritis: Comparison of Adolescents and Middle-Old Aged Koreans vol.39, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2014.39.1.2