- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Quality of Life according to Temporomandibular Disorder Symptoms in Dental Hospital Worker
치과병원 종사자에서 측두하악관절장애 증상에 따른 삶의 질 평가
- Kim, Dong-Kook (Department of Oral medicine, School of Dentistry, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lim, Hyun-Dae (Department of Oral medicine, School of Dentistry, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, You-Mee (Department of Oral medicine, School of Dentistry, Wonkwang University)
- 김동국 (원광대학교 치과대학 구강내과학 교실 및 원광치의학 연구소) ;
- 임현대 (원광대학교 치과대학 구강내과학 교실 및 원광치의학 연구소) ;
- 이유미 (원광대학교 치과대학 구강내과학 교실 및 원광치의학 연구소)
- Received : 2012.01.13
- Accepted : 2012.02.15
- Published : 2012.03.30
Temporomandibular disorder(TMD) is relatively prevalent disease, and quality of life may be impaired in TMD patients. Like general population, dental hospital workers are also exposed to the risk of TMD. But, many of them tend to overlook or tolerate their symptoms for lack of time and interest. Therefore, problems may become more serious, causing interference of performing task and decrease of quality of life. The aim of this study were to obtain data for TMD prevalence in dental hospital workers and to evaluate quality of life according to TMD symptoms. Subjects were recruited from Wonkwang University Dental Hospital. After consent, subjects completed quality of life questionnaire and were evaluated for subjective and objective signs and symptoms of TMD. Subjects were classified into 4 groups : (1) normal group (2) joint disorder group, (3) local myalgia group, and (4) myofascial pain group. The result of the study indicated that TMD negatively influences the quality of life in dental hospital worker. TMD symptoms can deteriorate quality of life in dental hospital worker. Future effort to make protocol for proper management is needed.
Supported by : 원광대학교
- WHOQOL group. Study protocol for the World Health Organization project to develop a Quality of Life assessment instrument (WHOQOL). Quality of Life Research 1993;2:153-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00435734
- The WHOQOL group. The World health organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL) : Development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med 1998;46(12):1569-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(98)00009-4
- Okeson JP. Bell's orofacial pain, 5th ed., Chicago, 2005, Quintessence.
- 안진홍, 강동묵, 조권환, 문덕환. 병원종사자의 근골격계 질환의 유병율과 위험 요인. 대한직업환경의학회, 제29차 추계학술대회, 2002:113-5.
- De Leeuw R. Orofacial pain : Guidelines for assessment, diagnosis, and management. 4th ed., Chicago, 2008, Quintessence.
- Dworkin SF Huggins KH, LeResche L et al. Epidemiology of signs and symptoms in temporomandibular disorders : clinical signs in cases and controls. J Am Dent Assoc 1990;120:273-81. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1990.0043
- de Kanter RJ, Truin GJ, Burgersdijk RC, van't Hof MA, Battistuzzi PG, Kalsbeek H, et al. Prevalence in the Dutch adult population and a meta-analysis of signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorder. J Dent Res 1993;72:1509-18. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345930720110901
- Fricton JR, Schiffmann EL. Epidemiology of temporomandibular disorders. In Fricton JR, Dubner R (Ed). Orofacial pain and temporomandibular disorders. New York, 1995, Raven, pp. 1-14.
- De Leeuw JRJ, Steenks MH, Ros WJ. Multidimensional evaluation of craniomandibular dysfunction I : Symptoms and correlates. J Oral Rehabil 1994;21:501-14. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1994.tb01165.x
- Dworkin SF, LeResche L. Research diagnostic criteria for tempormandibular disorders : Reviews, criteria, examinations, and specifications, critique. J Craniomandib Disord Facial Oral Pain 1992; 6:301-55.
- McNeil C, Mohl ND, Rugh JD, Tanaka TT. Temporomandibular disorders : Diagnosis, management, education, and research. J Am Dent Assoc 1990;120 (3):253-63. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1990.0049
- Wänman A. Longitudinal course of symptoms of craniomandibular disorders in men and women. A 10-year follow-up study of an epidemiologic sample. Acta Odontol Scand 1996;54:337-42. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016359609003548
- Skevington, SM. Investigating the relationship between pain and discomfort and quality of life, using the WHOQOL. Pain 1998;76:395-406. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(98)00072-4
- Mason VL, Skevington SM, Osborn M. A measure for quality of life assessment in chronic pain : preliminary properties of the WHOQOL-pain. J Behav Med 2009;32:162-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-008-9187-y
- 이유미, 임현대. 두부 자세, 스트레스 정도에 따른 구강 안면통증. 대한구강내과학회지 2006;31(2):147-54.
- 이용승, 변영섭, 최종훈, 안형준. 측두하악장애 환자에서 저작 효율 및 구강건강관련 삶의 질 평가. 대한구강내 과학회지 2010;35(2):135-47.
- Okeson JP. Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion. 6th ed., St Louis, Missouri, 2007, Mosby.
- 민성길, 김광일, 박일호. 한국판 세계보건기구 삶의 질 척도 지침서. 서울, 2002, 하나의학사.
- Carlsson GE. Epidemiological studies of signs and symptoms of tempormandibular joint-paindysfunction. : A literature review. Aust Prosthodont Soc Bull 1984;14:7-12.
- De Kanter RJ, Truin GJ, Burgersdijk RC et al. Prevalence in the Dutch adult population and a meta-analysis of signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorder. J Dent Res. 1993;72:1509-18. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345930720110901
- Bertolucci LE. Physical therapy post-arthroscopic TMJ management. Phys Ther 1992;10:130-7.
- The WHOQOL group. Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment. Psychological Medicine 1998;28(3):551-8. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006667
- World Health Organization. Field Trial WHOQOL-100. MNH/PSF/95.1.D.Rev.1., Geneva, 1995, WHO.
- Rugh JD, Solberg WK. Oral health status in the United States. Temporomandibular disorders. J Dent Educ 1985;49(6):398-406.
- Dworkin SF, Le Resche L. Temporomandibular disorder pain : Epidemiologic data. APS bulletin 1993;3(April/May):12-13.
- Schiffman EL, Fricton JR, Haley DP, Shapiro BL. The prevalence and treatment needs of subjects with temporomandibular disorders. J Am Dent Assoc 1990;120(3):295-303. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1990.0059
- Greene CS, Marbach JJ. Epidermiologic studies of mandibular dysfunction : A critical review. J Prosthet Dent 1982;48(2):184-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(82)90110-X
- De Kanter RJ, Kayser AF, Battistuzzi PG, Truin GJ, van't Hof MA. Demand and need for treatment of craniomandibular dysfunction in the Dutch adult population. J Dent Res 1992;71(9):1607-12. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345920710091201
- Luz JGC, Oliviera NG. Incidence of temporomandibular joint disorders in patients seen at a hospital emergency room. J Oral Rehabil 1994;21:349-51. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1994.tb01149.x
- Von Korff M, Le Resche L, Dworkin SF. First onset of common pain symptoms : A prospective study of depression as a risk factor. Pain 1993;55(2):251-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(93)90154-H
- 양희영, 김미은. 한국인 턱관절장애 환자의 유병률과 진료 양태. 대한구강내과학회지 2009;34(1):63-79.
- 정용모, 장효강. 부산지역 의료기관 종사자들의 직무스트레스. 한국콘텐츠학회논문지 2010;10(5):241-51.
- The Influence of Unloading Taping Method Using Non-elastic Tape on the Pain, Opening Mouth, Functional Level, Quality of Life in Patients With Temporomandibular Joint Disorder vol.23, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2016.23.3.029
- Relationship between job-stress and temporomandibular joint disorder in dental hygienists vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.381