- Volume 49 Issue 2
A Design and Implementation of Bulk Data Transmission Tool based on UDT
UDT 기반의 대용량 데이터 전송도구 설계 및 구현
- Park, Jong-Seon (Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Seung-Hae (KISTI) ;
- Hwang, Gun-Joon (Jeonju University) ;
- Cho, Gi-Hwan (Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.11.29
- Accepted : 2012.02.17
- Published : 2012.02.25
With advance of high bandwidth network infrastructure, the requirement is dramatically increasing to cooperate between the users who are far from each other and make use of bulk data. However, as the prominent data transmission protocol, it is well known that TCP suffers some degrees of inefficiency for bulk data transmission when RTT is relatively big. So, some works are on going to suggest a new transmission method to utilize the bandwidth in effective. UDT(UDP-based Data Transfer protocol) is one of these. It is a UDP based application level protocol which can guarantee reliability and stability. much like as TCP. In this paper, we present a design and implementation of UDT based bulk data transmission tool by applying parallel and compressive techniques. The implementation result is examined to measured its performance improvement on a real test-bed, and then compared with existing bulk data transmission tools. Experimental results show that proposed tool is more stable and shows greater performance than that of native UDT. Especially, the performances show 244% improvement in RTT 400ms without losses and 229% in RTT 250ms with 0.005% losses respectively.
- 김영신, 허의남, "고성능 네트워크에서 병렬전송기술을 이용한 전송률 극대화 메커니즘," 정보과학회 논문지, 제34권, 제9호, 425-434쪽, 2007년 9월
- Q. Fu, "Improving Throughput in High Bandwidth Delay Product Networks with Random Packet Losses," Proc. on IEEE conference on ICC '09, pp. 1-6, Jun. 2009.
- E. He, J. Leigh, O. Yu, and T. A. Defanti, "Reliable Blast UDP: Predictable High Performance Bulk Data Transfer," Proc. on International conference on IEEE '02, pp. 317-324, Sep. 2002.
- M. Meiss, "Tsunami: A High-Speed Rate-Controlled Protocol for File Transfer," www.evl.uic.edu/eric/atp TSUNAMI.pdf, 2009.
- Y. Gu and R. L. Grossman, "UDT: UDP-based Data Transfer for High Speed Wide Area Networks," Computer Networks, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1777-1799, May 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2006.11.009
- S. Floyd, "HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows," IETF, RFC3649, 2003.
- C. Jin, D. X. Wei, and S. H. Low, "FAST TCP: Motivation, Architecture, Algorithms, Performance," Proc. on IEEE conference on INFOCOM 2004, pp. 2490-2501, Mar. 2004.
- Z. Yue, Y. Ren, and J. Li, "Performance Evaluation of UDP-based High Speed Transport Protocols," Proc. on IEEE 2nd international conference on ICSESS, pp. 69-73, Jul. 2011.
- 안도식, 왕기철, 김승해, 조기환, "네트워크 트래픽 상태에 적응적인 UDT Rate Control 기법," 전자공학회논문지, 제43권, TC편 제2호, 241-249쪽, 2011년 3월
- Y. Gu, "UDT: A High Performance Data Transport Protocol," Ph.D Thesis, Laboratory for Advanced Computing, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago, 2005.
- I. Ullah and R. Khan, "Congestion Control Algorithm for High Speed Networks with End System Awareness," Proc. on IEEE conference on INMIC 2008, pp. 318-322, Dec. 2008.
- Network Emulator, http://swik.net/netem