- Volume 12 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dynamic and Interoperable Adaptation of SVC for QoS-Enabled Streaming
MPEG-21 및 H.264/AVC SVC 기반 동적 비디오 적응 방법
- Received : 2012.02.13
- Accepted : 2012.03.23
- Published : 2012.04.28
Seamless streaming of multimedia content that ensures Quality of Service over heterogeneous networks has been a desire for many multimedia services, for which the multimedia contents should be adapted to usage environments such as network characteristics, terminal capabilities, and user preferences. Scalability in video coding is a good feature to meet the requirement of heterogeneous networks. In this paper, we propose a dynamic adaptation scheme of H.264/AVC SVC bit-stream using the MPEG-21 Digital Item Adaptation (DIA) tool. MPEG-21 DIA framework provides systematic solutions in choosing an adaptation operation to given conditions and supports interoperable video adaptation. The experiment results show that the proposed adaptation scheme provides QoS-enabled delivery and consumption of SVC with time-varying constraints of network, terminal, and user preference, in a robust and efficient way. In particular, the proposed adaptation scheme is proved to work well with very low delay under the condition that the variation rate of the given network bandwidth is upto 62%.
Scalable Video Coding;Video Adaptation;MPEG-21
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- A. Vetro, "MPEG-21 Digital Item Adaptation: Enabling Universal Multimedia Access," IEEE Multimedia, Vol.11, Issue.1, pp.84-87, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMUL.2004.1261111
- A. Vetro, C. Christopoulos, and H. Sun. "Video transcoding architectures and techniques: An overview," IEEE Signal Processing Mag., Vol.20, pp.18-29, 2003(3). https://doi.org/10.1109/MSP.2003.1184336
- W. Li, "Overview of fine granularity scalability in MPEG-4 video standard," IEEE Trans. on Circuit and System for Video Technology, Vol.11, pp.301-317, 2001(3). https://doi.org/10.1109/76.911157
- J. G. Kim, Y. Wang, S. F. Chang, and H. M. Kim, "An optimal framework of video adaptation and its application to rate adaptation transcoding," ETRI Journal, Vol.27, No.4, 2005(8). https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.05.0105.0019
- ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC 1, "Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information - Part 2: Video," ITU-T Recommendation H.262 and ISO/IEC 13818-2 (MPEG-2 Video), 1994(11).
- ITU-T, "Video coding for low bit rate communication," ITU-T Recommendation H.263, Version1: Nov. 1995, Version2: Jan. 1998, Version3: Nov. 2000.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1, "Coding of audio-visual objects - Part 2: Visual," ISO/IEC 14492-2 (MPEG-4 Visual), Version 1: Apr. 1999, Version 2: Feb. 2000, Version 3: May. 2004.
- T. Wiegand, G. Sullivan, J. Reichel, H. Schwarz, and M. Wien, "Joint Draft 8 of SVC Amendment," Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-U201, Hangzhou, China, 2006(10).
- Joint Scalable Video Model, Joint Video Team of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, Doc. JVT-X202, 2007(7).
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, "Overview of the scalable video coding extension of the H.264/AVC standard," IEEE Trans. on Circuit and System for Video Technology, Vol.17, No.9, pp.1103-1120, 2007(9) https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2007.905532
- ISO/IEC IS 21000-7:2004 "Information technology-Multimedia framework (MPEG-21) - Part 7: Digital Item Adaptation," 2004.
- ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC 1, Advanced Video Coding for Generic Audio visual Services, ITU-T Recommendation H.264 and ISO/IEC 14496-10 (MPEG4-AVC), Fourth edition: Sep. 2008.
- ISO/IEC PDTR 21000-12:2004, "Information technology - Multimedia framework (MPEG-21) Part 12: Test Bed for MPEG-21 Resource Delivery," 2004.
- Y. K. Wang, M. M. Hannuksela, S. Pateux, and A. Eleftheriadis, "System and Transport Interface of the Emerging SVC Standard," Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-U151, Hangzhou, China, 2006(10).
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, "Analysis of hierarchical B pictures and MCTF," Proceedings of ICME' 06, Toronto, Canada, 2006(7).
- H. Schwarz, D. Marpe, and T. Wiegand, "Comparison of MCTF and closed-loop hierarchical B pictures," Joint Video Team, Doc. JVT-P059, Poznan, Poland, 2005(7).
- T. C. Thang, J.-G. Kim, J. W. Kang, and J.-J. Yoo, "SVC adaptation: Standard tools and supporting methods," Signal Processing: Image Communication, Vol.24, pp.214-228, 2009(3). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2008.12.006
- T. C. Thang, Y. S. Kim, J. W. Kang, Y. M. Ro, and J. G. Kim, "SVC Video Adaptation with MPEG-21 DIA AdaptationQoS," ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 WG11, Doc. m12638, Nice, France, 2005(10).