- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Bayesian Analysis of Korean Alcohol Consumption Data Using a Zero-Inflated Ordered Probit Model
영 과잉 순서적 프로빗 모형을 이용한 한국인의 음주자료에 대한 베이지안 분석
- Received : 2012.01.13
- Accepted : 2012.04.12
- Published : 2012.04.30
Excessive zeroes are often observed in ordinal categorical response variables. An ordinary ordered Probit model is not appropriate for zero-inflated data especially when there are many different sources of generating 0 observations. In this paper, we apply a two-stage zero-inflated ordered Probit (ZIOP) model which incorporate the zero-flated nature of data, propose a Bayesian analysis of a ZIOP model, and apply the method to alcohol consumption data collected by the National Bureau of Statistics, Korea. In the first stage of a ZIOP model, a Probit model is introduced to divide the non-drinkers into genuine non-drinkers who do not participate in drinking due to personal beliefs or permanent health problems and potential drinkers who did not drink at the time of the survey but have the potential to become drinkers. In the second stage, an ordered probit model is applied to drinkers that consists of zero-consumption potential drinkers and positive consumption drinkers. The analysis results show that about 30% of non-drinkers are genuine non-drinkers and hence the Korean alcohol consumption data has the feature of zero-inflated data. A study on the marginal effect of each explanatory variable shows that certain explanatory variables have effects on the genuine non-drinkers and potential drinkers in opposite directions, which may not be detected by an ordered Probit model.
Zero-inflation;Markov chain Monte Carlo;Posterior distribution;Ordinal categorical data
- 김승수, 정슬기 (2009). 대학생 음주실태와 문제음주 변화 추이, 2006년과 2008년 비교, <한국 알코올과학회지>, 10, 75-88.
- 박재홍, 이민경, 장용언 (2010). 근로자의 직무스트레스가 우울에 미치는 영향: 음주량과 음주빈도의 조절효과, <한국 알콜과학회지>, 11, 1-14.
- 서경현, 양승애 (2010). 중학생의 음주 지식 및 태도와 음주행위 요인 간의 관계, <한국 알코올과학회지>, 11, 15-26.
- 윤명숙, 김성혜, 채완순 (2010). 노인의 음주 및 정신건강 특성이 자살생각에 미치는 영향, <한국 알코올과학회지>, 11, 27-44.
- 천성수, 손애리 (2008). 한국인의 사인별 알코올기여도 산출, <한국 알코올과학회지>, 9, 1-12.
- Becker, G. S. and Murphy, K. M. (1988). A theory of rational addiction, Journal of Political Economy, 96, 675-700. https://doi.org/10.1086/261558
- Gurmu, S. and Dagne, G. A. (2009). Bayesian Approach to Zero-In ated Ordered Probit Models, with an Application, Georgia State University, University of South Florida.
- Harris, M. N. and Zhao, X. (2007). A zero-inflated ordered probit model, with an application to modelling tobacco consumption, Journal of Econometrics, 141, 1073-1099. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconom.2007.01.002
- Rodrigues, R. (2003). Bayesian analysis of zero-infalted distributions, Communications in Statistics, 32, 281-289. https://doi.org/10.1081/STA-120018186
- Spiegelhalter, D. J., Best, N. G., Carlin, B. P. and Van Der Linde, A. (2002). Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B, 64, 583-649. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9868.00353
- Comparison of Waist-to-height Ratio (WHtR), Body Mass Index (BMI) and Waist Circumference (WC) as a Screening Tool for Prediction of Metabolic-related Diseases vol.8, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13160/ricns.2015.8.4.305
Supported by : 한국연구재단