- Volume 30 Issue 2
This study aimed at examining the problems in character education in early childhood education and elementary education in Korea and at providing policy implications for more effective character education. The study interviewed 20 teachers from child care centers, kindergartens and elementary schools located in Seoul and Gyeonggi province using the focus group interview method. The results showed teachers' level of understanding of the definition and purpose of character education. Teachers experienced difficulty because they lacked a manual as well as training for character education and because of the inconsistency between character education and the burden of academic performance. The lack of connection among character education in early childhood education and elementary school, strong needs for parent education, and partnership between the three spheres of the home, school, and community were also implied.
- 강남구 보육정보센터(2008). 유아기본생활지도 프로그램. 강남구 보육정보센터.
- 교육과학기술부(2010). 창의․인성교육 기본방안. 교육과학기술부.
- 남궁달화(1999). 인성교육론. 서울: 문음사.
- 김영옥․송혜린․김현미(2007). 21세기 변화에 적합한 영유아 인성교육 프로그램. 서울: 다음세대.
- 남궁달화(2003). 교과를 통한 인성교육. 한국실과교육학회 하계학술대회논문집, 1-28.
- 안범희(2005). 미국 학교에서의 인성교육 내용 및 특성연구. 인문과학연구, 13, 133-169.
- 이돈희(2002). 도덕성 회복과 교육. 경기 파주 : 교육과학사.
- 이순형․이성옥․권혜진․이소은․황혜신․이혜승․한유진․ 정윤주․이영미․이옥경․성미영․권기남․김지현 (2009). 보육과정 (3판). 서울: 학지사.
- 지성애․김미경(2003). 유아사회교육의 이론과 실제. 서울: 학지사.
- 한국교육개발원(2011). 학교생활에서의 욕설사용실태 및 순화 대책. 한국교육개발원 연구보고서.
- 황경식(2000). 학부모(교사)를 위한 인성교육 가이드 북. 서울: 교육부.
- Chung, M. K.(2003). Strategies of character education through home economics area of practical arts education in elementary schools. Korean Journal of Practical Arts Education, 16(3), 141-161.
- Huh, S.(1998). An Analysis of the effectiveness of character education programs in the elementary school. The Journal of Elemetary Education, 12(1), 67-86.
- Kang, J. E. & Bang, J. H.(2003). Development of practical arts experiential learning program for character education in elementary school. Korean Journal of Practical Arts Education, 16(2), 33-50.
- Kim, M. J.(2007). A Study on Methods for Personality education in Morals Education. Journal of Ethics Education Studies, 14, 181-206.
- Kim, S. K.(2003). Home Economics Teacher Characteristics and Affective Morality through Home Economics Instruction recognized by Middle School Students. Master Thesis. Korea National University of Education, Seoul.
- Kim, Y., Chang, M., & Yoo, H.(2009). The Development and Effects of a Character Education Program for Young Children. The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, 14(5), 297-324.
- Lee, B. S.(2009). Study of integrated teaching method for children's character education. Korea Journal of Child Care and Education, 57, 249-270.
- Lee, S. Chang, Y. E., & Park, J.(2011). A study on effective early childhood and elementary character education through family-school partnership: Based on parents' satisfaction and needs. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 29(4), 35-47.
- Lee, S. N. & Lee, Y. S. Lee(2000). The effect of prosocial intervention on friendship and empathy in preschool children, Child Studies in Diverse Contexts, 21(2), 147-156.
- Oh, S. H. & Lee, S. E.(2002). The effects of prosocial behavior improvement program on children`s emotional intelligence and prosocial moral reasoning. Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, 9(2), 213-237.
- Wang, S. S.(2004). The systematization of personality education contents in the 7th curriculum for home economics. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 16(2), 13-26.
- Berkowitz, M.(2005). Character education: Parents as partners. Educational Leadership, 63(1), 64-69.
- Brooks, B.D. & Kahn, M. E.(1993). What makes character education programs work? Educational Leadership, 51(3), 19-21.
- Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning( 2009). Schools, Families, and Social and Emotional Learning. Washington, D.C.: National Center for Mental Health Promotion and Youth Violence Prevention, Education Development Center.
- Elias, M. J. Zins, J. E., Weissberg, R. P., Frey, K. S., Greenberg, M. T., et al.(1997). Promoting Social and Emotional Learning: Guidelines for Educators. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Tillman, D.(2000). Living Values Activities for children ages 8-14. Deerfield, FL: HCI.
- U.S. Department of Education.(2005). Helping Your Child Become a Responsible Citizen. Office of Communications and Outreach. Washington, D.C.
- Zimmerman, B. J.(1990). Attaining Self-Regulation: A social cognitive perspective. San Diego: Academic Press.
- Re-emphasizing Character Education in Early Childhood Programs: Korean Children's Experiences vol.89, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2012.30.2.087