- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reliability analysis of steel cable-stayed bridges including soil-pile interaction
- Cheng, Jin (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Liu, Xiao-luan (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2010.08.02
- Accepted : 2012.05.01
- Published : 2012.08.25
An efficient and accurate algorithm is proposed to evaluate the reliability of cable-stayed bridges accounting for soil-pile interaction. The proposed algorithm integrates the finite-element method and the response surface method. The finite-element method is used to model the cable-stayed bridge including soil-pile interaction. The reliability index is evaluated based on the response surface method. Uncertainties in the superstructure, the substructure and load parameters are incorporated in the proposed algorithm. A long span steel cable-stayed bridge with a main span length of 1088 m built in China is considered as an illustrative example. The reliability of the bridge is evaluated for the strength and serviceability performance functions. Results of the study show that when strength limit states for both girder and tower are considered, soil-pile interaction has significant effects on the reliability of steel cable-stayed bridges. Further, a detailed sensitivity study shows that the modulus of subgrade reaction is the most important soil-pile interaction-related parameter influencing the reliability of steel cable-stayed bridges.
- Asoaka, A. and Grivas, D.A. (1982). Spatial variability of the undrained strength of clays. ASCE, J. Eng. Mech., 108(5), 743-756.
- Bucher, C.G. and Bourgund, U. (1990), "A fast and efficient response surface approach for structural reliability problems", Structural Safety, 7(1), 57-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4730(90)90012-E
- Cheng, J. and Xiao, R.-C. (2005), "Serviceability reliability analysis of cable-stayed bridges", Struct. Eng. Mech., 20(6), 609-630. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2005.20.6.609
- Chowdhury, M.R., Wang, D., and Haldar, A. (1998), "Reliability assessment of pile-supported structural systems", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 124(1), 80-88. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:1(80)
- Cook, R.D. (1995), Finite-element modeling for stress analysis, Wiley, New York.
- Das, P.K. and Zheng, Y. (2000), "Cumulative formation of response surface and its use in reliability analysis", Probab. Eng. Mech., 15(4), 309-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-8920(99)00030-2
- Ditlevsen, O. and Madsen, H.O. (1996), Structural reliability methods, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, England.
- Eloseily, K.H. (1998), Reliability assessment of pile groups in sand. PhD dissertation of University of Maryland.
- Eloseily, K.H., Ayyub, B.M. and Patev, R. (2002), "Reliability assessment of pile groups in sands", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 128(10), 1346-1353. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:10(1346)
- Faraji, S., Ting, J.M., Crovo, D.S. and Ernst, H. (2001), "Nonlinear analysis of integral bridges: Finite-element model", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 127(5), 454-461. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2001)127:5(454)
- Frantziskonis, G. and Breysse, D. (2003), Influence of soil variability on differential settlements of structures, Comput. Geotech., 30(3), 217-230 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-352X(02)00062-9
- Haldar, A. and Mahadevan S. (2000), Reliability assessment using stochastic finite element analysis, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Hohenbichler, M. and Rackwitz, R. (1986), "Sensitivity and importance measures in structural reliability", Civil Engineering Systems, 3(4), 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1080/02630258608970445
- Imai, K. and Frangopol, D.M. (2002), "System reliability of suspension bridges", Structural safety, 24, 219-259 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(02)00027-9
- Kim, S. and Na, S. (1997), "Response surface method using vector projected sampling points", Structural Safety, 19(1), 3-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(96)00037-9
- Liu, P.-L. and Der Kiureghian, A. (1991), "Finite element reliability of geometrically nonlinear uncertain structures", J. Eng. Mech., ASCE, 117(8), 1806-1825. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1991)117:8(1806)
- Maekawa, K., Pimanmas, A. and Okamoura, H. (2003), "Nonlinear soil structure interaction", London: Spon Press.
- Mourad, S. and Tabash, W.S. (1999), "Deck slab stresses in integral abutment bridges", Journal of Bridge Engineering, 4(2), 125-130. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1999)4:2(125)
- Murchison, J.M. and O'Neill, N.M. (1984), "Evaluation of P-Y relationships in cohesionless soils", Proceedings of ASCE Symposium on analysis and design of pile foundations. San Francisco (CA): 174-191
- Niandou, H. and Breysse, D. (2007), "Reliability analysis of a piled raft accounting for soil horizontal variability", Comput. Geotech., 34(2), 71-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2006.09.006
- Orr, T.L.L. (1993), Probabilistic characterization of Irish till properties. In B.O. Skipp, editor, Risk and reliability in ground engineering, pages 126-133, London, November. Institution of Civil Engineers, Thomas Telford.
- Phoon, K.-K. and Kulhawy, F.H. (1999), "Evaluation of geotechnical property variability", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 36, 625-639. https://doi.org/10.1139/t99-039
- Popescu, R. (1995), Stochastic variability of soil properties: data analysis, digital simulation, effects on system behaviour. PhD thesis, Princeton University.
- Soneji, B.B. and Jangid, R.S. (2008), "Influence of soil-structure interaction on the response of seismically isolated cable-stayed bridge", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 28(4), 245-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2007.06.005
- Tandjiria, V., The, C.I. and Low, B.K. (2000), "Reliability analysis of laterally loaded piles using response surface methods", Structural Safety, 22(4), 335-355. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4730(00)00019-9
- Wang, J. and Ghosn, M. (2006), "Hybrid data mining/genetic shredding algorithm for reliability assessment of structural systems", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 9, 1451-1460.
- Wong, S.M., Hobbs, R.E. and Onof, C. (2005), "An adaptive response surface method for reliability analysis", Structural Safety, 27(4), 287-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2005.02.001
- Large-scale pilot test study on bearing capacity of sea-crossing bridge main pier pile foundations vol.7, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2014.7.2.201
- Soil-pile interaction effects in wharf structures under lateral loads vol.51, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.51.2.267
- 3D FEM Analysis of a Pile-Supported Riverine Platform under Environmental Loads Incorporating Soil-Pile Interaction vol.6, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/computation6010008
- Dynamic Reliability Design of Multicomponent Structure with Improved Weighted Regression Distributed Collaborative Surrogate Model Method vol.2018, pp.1687-8442, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3832783