- Volume 41 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Adaptive fluid-structure interaction simulation of large-scale complex liquid containment with two-phase flow
- Park, Sung-Woo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Cho, Jin-Rae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2011.03.02
- Accepted : 2012.02.01
- Published : 2012.02.25
An adaptive modeling and simulation technique is introduced for the effective and reliable fluid-structure interaction analysis using MSC/Dytran for large-scale complex pressurized liquid containment. The proposed method is composed of a series of the global rigid sloshing analysis and the locally detailed fluid-structure analysis. The critical time at which the system exhibits the severe liquid sloshing response is sought through the former analysis, while the fluid-structure interaction in the local region of interest at the critical time is analyzed by the latter analysis. Differing from the global coarse model, the local fine model considers not only the complex geometry and flexibility of structure but the effect of internal pressure. The locally detailed FSI problem is solved in terms of multi-material volume fractions and the flow and pressure fields obtained by the global analysis at the critical time are specified as the initial conditions. An in-house program for mapping the global analysis results onto the fine-scale local FSI model is developed. The validity and effectiveness of the proposed method are verified through an illustrative numerical experiment.
- Aquelet, N., Souli, M. and Olovsson, L. (2006), "Euler-Lagrange coupling with damping effects: Application to slamming problems", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 195, 110-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2005.01.010
- Barler, B., Humpherys, J., Lafitte, O., Rudd, Keith. and Zumburn, K. (2008), "Stability of isentropic Navier- Stokes shocks", Appl. Math. Lett., 21(7), 742-747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aml.2007.07.025
- Cho, J.R. and Lee, S.Y. (2003), "Dynamic analysis of baffled fuel-storage tanks using the ALE finite element method", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluids, 41(2), 185-208. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.434
- Cho, J.R. and Song, J.M. (2001), "Assessment of classical numerical models for the separate liquid-structure analysis", J. Sound Vib., 239(5), 995-1012. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2000.3179
- Cho, J.R., Lee, H.W., Sohn, J.S., Kim, G.J. and Woo, J.S. (2006), "Numerical investigation of hydroplaning characteristics of three-dimensional patterned tire", Eur. J. Mech. A-Solid., 25, 914-926. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2006.02.007
- Cho, J.R., Song, J.M. and Lee, J.K. (2001), "Finite element techniques for the free-vibration and seismic analysis of liquid-storage tanks", Finite Elem. Anal. D., 37(6-7), 467-483. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(00)00048-2
- Farhat, C., Lesoinne, M. and Letallec, P. (1998), "Load and motion transfer algorithms for fluid/structure interaction problems with non-matching discrete interfaces: Momentum and energy conservation, optimal discretization and application to aeroelasticity", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 157, 95-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(97)00216-8
- Housner, G.W. (1963), "The dynamic behavior of water tanks", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 53, 381-387.
- Kyoung, J.H., Hong, S.Y., Kim, J.H. and Bai, K.J. (2005), "Finite-element computation of wave impact load due to a violent sloshing", Ocean Eng., 32, 2020-2039. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2005.04.003
- Longatte, E., Verreman, V. and Souli, M. (2009), "Time marching for simulation of fluid-structure interaction problem", J. Fluids Struct., 25, 95-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2008.03.009
- Mackerle, J. (1999), "Fluid-structure interaction problems, finite element and boundary element approaches a bibliography (1995-1998)", Finite Elem. Anal. D., 31, 231-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(98)00065-1
- Mao, K.M. and Sun, C.T. (1991), "A refined global-local finite element analysis method", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 32(1), 29-43. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620320103
- Morand, H.J.P. and Ohayon, R. (1995), Fluid Structure Interaction: Applied Numerical Methods, Wiley, New York.
- MSC/Dytran (2008), User's manual (version 4.5), The MacNeal Schwendler Corp., Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- Piperno, S., Farhat, C. and Larrouturou, B. (1995), "Partioned procedure for the transient solution of coupled problems - Part I. Model problem, theory and two-dimensional application", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 124(1-2), 79-112.
- Rajasankar, J., Iyer, N.R. and Appa Rao, T.V.S.R. (1993), "A new 3-D finite element model to evaluate added mass for analysis of fluid-structure interaction problems", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 36, 997-1012. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620360608
- Schafer, M. and Teschauer, I. (2001), "Numerical simulation of coupled fluid-soil problems", Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng., 190, 3645-3667. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(00)00290-5
- Sigrist, J.F. and Abouri, D. (2006), "Numerical simulation of a non-linear coupled fluid-structure problem with implicit and explicit coupling procedure", Proc. ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping Division Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Xia, G.H., Zhao, Y. and Yeo, J.H. (2009), "Parallel unstructured multigrid simulation of 3D unsteady flows and fluid-structure interaction in mechanical heart valve using immersed membrane method", Comput. Fluids, 38, 71-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compfluid.2008.01.010