- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
On the characteristics and seismic study of Hat Knee Bracing system, in steel structures
- JafarRamaji, Issa (Department of Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Mofid, Massood (Civil Engineering Department, Center of excellence in structures and earthquake engineering, Sharif University of Technology)
- Received : 2010.09.12
- Accepted : 2012.03.22
- Published : 2012.07.25
In this study, a new structural bracing system named 'Hat Knee Bracing' (HKB) is presented. In this structural system, a special form of diagonal braces, which is connected to the knee elements instead of beam-column joints, is investigated. The diagonal elements provide lateral stiffness during moderate earthquakes. However the knee elements, which is a fuse-like component, is designed to have one plastic joint in the knee elements for dissipation of the energy caused by strong earthquake. First, a suitable shape for brace and knee elements is proposed through elastic studying of the system and several practical parameters are established. Afterward, by developing applicable and highly accurate models in Drain-2DX, the inelastic behavior of the system is carefully considered. In addition, with inelastic study of the new bracing system and comparison with the prevalent Knee Bracing Frame system (KBF model) in nonlinear static and dynamic analysis, the seismic behavior of the new bracing system is reasonably evaluated.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (2010), "Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings", Chicago (IL, USA), AISC.
- American Institute of Steel Construction (2010), "Specification for structural steel buildings", Chicago (IL, USA), AISC.
- Aristizabal-ochoa, J. D. (1986), "Disposable knee bracing: improvement in seismic design of steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 112(7), 1544-1552. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1986)112:7(1544)
- Balendra, T., Lee S. L. and Lim E. L. (1994), "Ductile knee braced frames with shear yielding knee for seismic resistant structures", Eng. Struct., 16(4), 263-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(94)90066-3
- Balendra T., Liaw, C. Y. and Sam, MT. (1990), "Diagonal brace with ductile anchor for a seismic steel frame", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 19(6), 847-858. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290190606
- Balendra, T., Liaw, C. Y., Sam, M. T. and Seng, L. L. (1991), "Preliminary studies into the behavior of knee braced frames subject to seismic loading", Eng. Struct., 13, 67-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0141-0296(91)90010-A
- Balendra, T., Xiao, Y. and Yu, C.Y. (2001), "An economical structural system for wind and earthquake loads", Eng. Struct., 23, 491-501. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(00)00061-4
- Blakeborough, A., Bourahla, N., Clement, D. and William, M. S. (2002), "Seismic behavior of knee braced frames", Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Structures and Buildings, 152(2), 147-155.
- Choi, H. and Kim, J. (2006), "Energy-based seismic design of buckling-restrained braced frames using hysteretic energy spectrum", Eng. Struct., 28(2), 304-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.08.008
- Clement, D. E. and Martin S. Williams (2004), "Seismic design and analysis of a knee braced frame building", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(4), 523-543.
- Elnashai, A. S. and Sarno, L. D. (2009), "Bracing systems for seismic retrofitting of steel frames", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 65(2), 452-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2008.02.013
- Engelhard, M. D. and Husain, A. S. (1993), "Cyclic-loading performance of welded flange bolted web connections", J. Struct. Eng., AISC, 119(12), 3537-3550. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:12(3537)
- Fahnestock, L., Ricles, J.M. and Sause, R. (2007), "Experimental Evaluation of a Large-Scale Buckling-Restrained Braced Frame", J. Struct. Eng., AISC, 133(9), 1205-1214. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:9(1205)
- Filippou, F. C., Powel, G. H. and Prakash, V. (1992), "DRAIN-2DX: base program user guide", Structural engineering mechanics and materials, Report No. UCB/SEMM-92/29, Berkeley, University of California.
- Gerasimidis, S. (2006), "Application of knee-bracing system on high-rise buildings", Thesis for Master's Degree, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Kim, J. and Seo, Y. (2003), "Seismic design of steel structures with buckling-restrained knee braces", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 59, 1477-1497. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00100-7
- Kigginsa, S. and Uang, C. M. (2006), "Reducing residual drift of buckling-restrained braced frames as a dual system", Eng. Struct., 28(11), 1525-1532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.10.023
- Lotfollahi, M. (2003), "Thesis for Master's Degree", Department of Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran.
- Lotfollahi, M. and Mofid, M. (2006), "On the characteristics of new ductile knee bracing systems", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 62, 71-81.
- Mahin, S. A. (1998), "Lessons from damage to steel buildings during the Northridge earthquake", Eng. Struct., 20(4-6), 261-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00032-1
- Miller, D. K. (1998), "Lessons learned from the Northridge earthquake", Engineering Structures, 20(4-6), 249-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00031-X
- MoslehiTabar, A and Zahrai, S. M. (2006), "Cyclic behavior of steel braced frames having shear panel system", Asian journal of civil engineering (building and housing, 7(1), 13-26.
- Popov, E. P. (1980), "Seismic behavior of structural sub-assemblage", Journal of Structural Division, AISC, Vol. 106(7), 1451-1474.
- Popov E. P. and Roeder, C. W. (1978), "Eccentrically braced steel frames for earthquakes", J. Struct. Division, ASCE, 104(3), 391-412.
- On the Seismic Performance of Hat Knee Bracing System in Low-Rise Multistory Steel Structures vol.18, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.525
- Nonlinear behavior of connections in RCS frames with bracing and steel plate shear wall vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.4.915