- Volume 13 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Pre-buckling deflection effects on stability of thin-walled beams with open sections
- Mohri, F. (Universite de lorraine) ;
- Damil, N. (Laboratoire de Calcul Scientifique en Mecanique, Faculte des Sciences Ben M'Sik, Universite Hassan II - Mohammedia) ;
- Potier-Ferry, M. (Universite de lorraine)
- Received : 2009.09.15
- Accepted : 2012.05.01
- Published : 2012.07.25
The paper investigates beam lateral buckling stability according to linear and non-linear models. Closed form solutions for single-symmetric cross sections are first derived according to a non-linear model considering flexural-torsional coupling and pre-buckling deformation effects. The closed form solutions are compared to a beam finite element developed in large torsion. Effects of pre-buckling deflection and gradient moment on beam stability are not well known in the literature. The strength of singly symmetric I-beams under gradient moments is particularly investigated. Beams with T and I cross-sections are considered in the study. It is concluded that pre-buckling deflections effects are important for I-section with large flanges and analytical solutions are possible. For beams with T-sections, lateral buckling resistance depends not only on pre-buckling deflection but also on cross section shape, load distribution and buckling modes. Effects of pre-buckling deflections are important only when the largest flange is under compressive stresses and positive gradient moments. For negative gradient moments, all available solutions fail and overestimate the beam strength. Numerical solutions are more powerful. Other load cases are investigated as the stability of continuous beams. Under arbitrary loads, all available solutions fail, and recourse to finite element simulation is more efficient.
- AISC LRFD (1994), "Load and resistance factor design", American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). Chicago.
- Andrade, A. and Camotim, D. (2004), "Lateral-torsional buckling of prismatic and tapered thin-walled open beams: assessing the influence of pre-buckling deflections", J. Steel. Compos. Struct., 4(4), 281-301. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2004.4.4.281
- Balac, I. and Kolekova, Y. (2002), "Stability of monosymmetric beams", In: Dubina D, Ivanyi M, Stability and ductility of steel structures. Elsevier. 57-64.
- Bleich, F. (1952), "Buckling strength of metal structures", McGraw-Hill, New York.
- BS 5950-1 (2000), "Structural use of steelwork in buildings. Code of practice for design. Rolled and welded sections". British Standards Institution.
- Clark, J.W. and Knoll, H.N. (1958), "Effect of deflection on lateral buckling", J. Eng. Mech. Division, ASCE, Proc of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 84 (EM2) paper 1596, 1-18.
- Clark, J.W. and Hill, H.N. (1960), "Lateral buckling of beams", J. Struct. Division, ASCE, 86 (ST7), 175-196.
- Cort'nez, V.H. and Piovan, M.T. (2006), "Stability of composite thin-walled beams with shear deformability", Comput. Struct., 84(15-16), 978-990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.02.017
- Eurocode 3 (1992), "Design of steel structures, Part 1.1: General rules for buildings", European Committee for standardization, Draft Document ENV 1993-1-1, Brussels.
- Eurocode 3 (2005), "Design of steel structures. Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings", European Committee for standardization, Brussels.
- Galambos, T.V. (1998), "Guide to stability design criteria for metal structures", 1st edition, John Wiley&Sons, Inc, New York.
- Goncalves, R. and Camotim, D. (2004), "On the application of beam-column interaction formulae to steel members with arbitrary loading and support conditions", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 60, 433-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(03)00122-6
- Greiner, R. and Ofner, R. (1999), "Validation of design rules for member stability of European standards proposal for buckling rules", In: Dubina D, Ivanyi M, Stability and ductility of steel structures. Elsevier. 81-88.
- Lim, N.H., Park, N.H., Kang, Y.J., and Sung, I.H. (2003), "Elastic buckling of I-beams under linear moment gradient", Int. J. Solids. Struct., 40, 5635-5647. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(03)00330-5
- Mohri, F., Brouki, A., and Roth, J.C. (2003), "Theoretical and numerical stability analyses of unrestrained, mono-symmetric thin-walled beams", J. Contr. Steel. Res., 59, 63-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(02)00007-X
- Mohri, F., Azrar, L., and Potier-Ferry, M. (2002), "Lateral post-buckling analysis of thin-walled open section beams", Thin-Wall. Struct., 40, 1013-1036. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(02)00043-5
- Mohri, F., Bouzerira, C., and Potier-Ferry, M. (2008), "Lateral buckling of thin-walled Beam-column elements under combined axial and bending loads", Thin-Wall. Struct., 46, 290-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.07.017
- Mohri, F., Damil, N., and Potier-Ferry, M. (2008), "Large torsion finite element model for thin-walled beams", Comput. Struct., 86, 671-683. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2007.07.007
- Mohri, F., Eddinari, A., Damil, N., and Potier-Ferry, M. (2008), "A beam finite element for non-linear analyses of thin-walled elements", Thin-Wall. Struct., 46, 981-990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2008.01.028
- Mohri, F. and Potier-Ferry, M. (2006), "Effects of load height application and pre-buckling deflections on lateral buckling of thin-walled beams", Steel. Compos. Struct., 6(5), 401-415. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2006.6.5.401
- Roberts, T.M. and Burt, C.A. (1985), "Instability of mono symmetric beams and cantilevers", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 27, 313-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(85)90021-9
- Salvadori, M. (1956), "Lateral buckling of eccentrically loaded I-columns", Transactions of the ASCE, 121, 1163-1178.
- Sapkas, A. and Kollar, L.P. (2002), "Lateral-torsional buckling of composite beams", Int. J. Solids. Struct., 39, 2939-2963. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(02)00236-6
- Serna, M.A., Lopez, A., Puente, I., and Yong, D.J. (2006), "Equivalent uniform moment factors for lateral-torsional buckling of steel members", J. Constr. Steel. Res., 62, 566-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.09.001
- Timoshenko, S.P. and Gere, J.M. (1961), "Theory of Elastic Stability", 2nd ed, McGraw Hill, Inc, New York.
- Trahair, N.S. and Woolcock, S.T. (1973), "Effect of Major Axis Curvature on I-Beam Stability", J. Eng. Mech. Division, 99(1), 85-98.
- Vacharajittiphan, P., Woolcock, S.T., and Trahair, N.S. (1974), "Effect of in-plane deformation on lateral buckling", J. Struct. Mech., ASCE, 3(11), 29-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/03601217408907255
- Vlasov, V.Z. (1962), "Thin walled elastic beams", Moscow, French translation: Pieces longues en voiles minces, Eyrolles, Paris.